Hi Guys,
    I am going to pick up a used playbook tomoro, can you give me any things I should be looking for to make sure its ok ?
    I have read about the dodgy power button and some problems with the camera.
    Any more ?
    I do have one at the minute and dont suffer any problems but can not buy one new anywhere in the UK as there is no stock.
    Please help me out with a list of things to check.
    Regards,
    Chris.
    08-15-12 11:15 AM
    The number one problem with used playbooks are damaged micro usb ports. You can see on usa ebay just how many are being sold with this damage, which is due to people forcing the charging cord and data transfer cords with the plug in upside down.
    madman0141 likes this.
    08-15-12 11:21 AM
    Check for dead or stuck pixels - using the Free Display Test.

Make sure it can get wifi - meet in a place with public wifi.

Listen to the speakers - both working?
    08-15-12 11:44 AM
    Verify wifi, wifi and wifi again ....sadly, probably the weakest point of the PB - can be extremely frustating when it keeps trying to reconnect. Usb port also ...less of an issue if you already have the rapid magnetic charger.

Good luck.
    08-15-12 11:54 AM
    I agree with the above posters. Check to ensure it can charged. Check for dead Pixels. Check the sides to see if it has been pried open (battery issues??). And be sure to wipe it prior to use if you do buy it.
    08-15-12 01:34 PM
    You're gonna hate me for this but I don't think buying a used PlayBook is a deal at any price. The reason of course is RIM having the new ones discounted. The 64g PlayBook is less than $300 and I don't believe there is a better value on the market. The prices may drop further if the 4G PlayBook is successful. However if you must buy a used one the ports are what you should examine.
    08-15-12 01:37 PM
    Another post in favour of new, gives greater protection etc. PC World Currys Dixons group have new Playbooks at �129, �149 and �249 for 16GB, 32GB and 64GB respectively. Stock seems available. Don't work there just saying.
    08-15-12 02:11 PM
    1) look for battery area overhearting and warping on back cover
    2) run dead pixel test for display issues
    3) check all connections for functionality
    4) make sure that it will successfully boot power on
    5) examine display for hairline cracks and fractues
    6) check for WiFi connectibility and lauch App World so if stolen error message displays
    7) Ask for Original OEM Wall Charger and don't accept kock offs
    8) check the OS load and make sure that it is not a dev model so you don't have to start over with OD Loads
    9) make sure it will connect to Blackberry Desktop software and doesn't have a password locked unit with more than 10 attempts
    10) shall I do on?

Buy a new unit and avoid all these Headaches and get the insurance for protection against stupid acts that come in the future.

Just say'in
    08-15-12 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD