I will be starting my first year of college this fall and i was think about using my playbook instead of a laptop. I plan to write my notes in a notebook, not type them. I'll use the playbook to type essays. Is it practical to do this or will i need to get a laptop?

Also, will any bluetooth keyboard work on the playbook, or just the one from blackberry and ones that specifically say they work with the playbook?
    08-08-12 01:26 PM
    I will be starting my first year of college this fall and i was think about using my playbook instead of a laptop. I plan to write my notes in a notebook, not type them. I'll use the playbook to type essays. Is it practical to do this or will i need to get a laptop?

Also, will any bluetooth keyboard work on the playbook, or just the one from blackberry and ones that specifically say they work with the playbook?
    About the college stuff; If it is practical ? Maybe not, if you study requires specific programms that only work on a PC. But the playbook is a nice replacement for a PC.

Bluetooth keyboard: Any bluetooth keyboard will work. You also can use a Bluetooth mouse (or both at the same time, works too)

I bought a keyboard with a 'trackpad / touchpad' built-in so I don't need a mouse (if I want to use the HDMI cable for the playbook, I have both the controls in my hand)

Hope this helps, Jeroen
    08-08-12 01:29 PM
    Id advised getting a laptop. I have both and I use my PB for quick browsing, powerpoints given out by teachers, and textbooks. That does seem like alot but laptop is much more convienient in almost every way. I keep my laptop in my dorm and take my PB with me to the library or class.

Hope that helped

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-08-12 01:32 PM
    Use a laptop or netbook.... almost guaranteed to get any software you may need... you MAY find many of the apps on the Playbook may be lacking for general education... love my Playbook but use the Laptop for any serious work.....
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    08-08-12 01:40 PM
    About the college stuff; If it is practical ? Maybe not, if you study requires specific programms that only work on a PC. But the playbook is a nice replacement for a PC.

Bluetooth keyboard: Any bluetooth keyboard will work. You also can use a Bluetooth mouse (or both at the same time, works too)

I bought a keyboard with a 'trackpad / touchpad' built-in so I don't need a mouse (if I want to use the HDMI cable for the playbook, I have both the controls in my hand)

Hope this helps, Jeroen
    Ill probably get a keyboard in case i want to type something. how useful is the mouse? is it just used for web browsing or can it be used for something else?
    08-08-12 01:40 PM
    Id advised getting a laptop. I have both and I use my PB for quick browsing, powerpoints given out by teachers, and textbooks. That does seem like alot but laptop is much more convienient in almost every way. I keep my laptop in my dorm and take my PB with me to the library or class.

Hope that helped

how do textbooks work on the playbook? where can you buy them from?
    08-08-12 01:43 PM
    Use a laptop or netbook.... almost guaranteed to get any software you may need... you MAY find many of the apps on the Playbook may be lacking for general education... love my Playbook but use the Laptop for any serious work.....
    Other than word, excel and powerpoint viewer (which are included on the playbook), what other apps would i need?
    08-08-12 01:45 PM
    I don't go to university anymore, but my PlayBook has replaced most of my laptop or computer needs. I take it to my meetings, use it for taking notes, and keep all of my professional info between it, and my phone. I unfortuntaely have to use my laptop for printing, and i haven't found anything that replaces my laptop's photoshop capabilities yet.
    08-08-12 01:51 PM
    Ill probably get a keyboard in case i want to type something. how useful is the mouse? is it just used for web browsing or can it be used for something else?
    A keyboard-in-case is not a 'NORMAL SIZED' keyboard. Its a mini-keyboard, so you might consider buying a Full-size bluetooth keyboard for lots of typing. (As I did).

The mouse; it usefull for small buttons, selecting text and for presentations (with HDMI) for 'next dia' functions.

The mouse is not a must-have, but it is very usefull in the way that you don't have to stretch your arm anymore.
    08-08-12 01:51 PM
    Other than word, excel and powerpoint viewer (which are included on the playbook), what other apps would i need?
    Word -- which is what you will be using if you are going to be mostly typing essays -- is not included on the PB. Documents To Go is, and there is a big difference. You will waste an inordinate amount of time trying to type essays with D2G on the PB. It might be adequate for some quick editing or typing a paragraph or two, but you will regret not using Word on a laptop.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    08-08-12 01:54 PM
    how do textbooks work on the playbook? where can you buy them from?

I have bought some on Kobo Books while some are free to view through the browser and you can also DL .pdf and view it inn your adobe reader app.

08-08-12 01:56 PM
    Word -- which is what you will be using if you are going to be mostly typing essays -- is not included on the PB. Documents To Go is, and there is a big difference. You will waste an inordinate amount of time trying to type essays with D2G on the PB. It might be adequate for some quick editing or typing a paragraph or two, but you will regret not using Word on a laptop.
    not sure what "d2g" is...
    What i was thinking is that ill get a full sized bluetooth keyboard and get my essays typed on docments to go. then ill upload the file and open it up in the computer lab and make some final edits on word and print. I might even get a bluetooth mouse to make editing easier on the playbook.
    08-08-12 02:06 PM
    I am going to be a freshman in college, but I don't have a laptop and will probably bring my playbook around with me. That being said, I don't expect it to do real work, I will do that at home on my desktop. I can usually trust my PB to browse the web for research and stuff and it is the perfect size for portability. But I am not going to attempt to take notes on it or anything. (I have a pen and paper for that). If you mean using your playbook as your primary computer, definitely no way. But if you just want something to carry around for internet, calender or email (after they fix email...) the playbook will work great.
    08-08-12 02:08 PM
    not sure what "d2g" is...
    What i was thinking is that ill get a full sized bluetooth keyboard and get my essays typed on docments to go. then ill upload the file and open it up in the computer lab and make some final edits on word and print. I might even get a bluetooth mouse to make editing easier on the playbook.
    d2g is Documents to Go.

The Bluetooth mouse makes it so much easier to do edits. Not to mention it's awkward to type and keep reaching up to touch the screen, then back to the keyboard. The keyboard/mouse combo seems much more natural and what we are used to.
    08-08-12 02:13 PM
    I personally like writing papers with my playbook. It's just way too easy for me to get distracted on a full pc. Having said that, I only do my rough drafts on my playbook. I use it as a brain dump it get everything I want to say out on paper. If you need to do research, you'll want the bigger screen to look up journal articles, etc. It's also a lot easier to quote others' work if you can see it while you are typing vs switching back on forth on the playbook or any tablet.

Hammering out my main draft on the playbook and then polishing it up and making it scholarly with the computer labs in the library has worked out well for me. Another plus with that is it forces me out of my apartment(with the big screen, the xbox, and roommates who always want to hang out). I know a lot of people who hate the library though. They complain that you can just feel the stress in the atmosphere.

The biggest issue would be if your playbook has any problems with quizzes or online homework. One of my classes has all of its assignments on a really old website that only worked with Internet explorer. Another class had all of the lectures on CD, where class time was strictly for going over homework. I could still do both of these in the library, but it would have been nicer then for a laptop.
    08-08-12 02:20 PM
    I am going to be a freshman in college, but I don't have a laptop and will probably bring my playbook around with me. That being said, I don't expect it to do real work, I will do that at home on my desktop. I can usually trust my PB to browse the web for research and stuff and it is the perfect size for portability. But I am not going to attempt to take notes on it or anything. (I have a pen and paper for that). If you mean using your playbook as your primary computer, definitely no way. But if you just want something to carry around for internet, calender or email (after they fix email...) the playbook will work great.
    by "real work" do u mean typing essays? because i wanted to get a bluetooth keyboard and use the playbook for typing essays.
    08-08-12 02:20 PM
    If you are going to college is the United States I would suggest you get a laptop for the following reasons:

Black Board, a computer system many colleges use is not PB friendly.

Writing papers on the PB is a pain, especially when you have to format works cited in APA or MLA or tarabian. You may also need to access publisher files.

many library data bases (ebsco host, world cat, jstor etc...) are not mobile friendly.

Most college on-line record systems (peoplesoft, BANNER and the like) will only work with PC browsers.

You are more likely to drop, lose, damage a tablet.

I have two tablets:

A BB PB which I use for my assistantships and a Archos G9 which I use for "play". The PB is just the right size to carry around and gives me instant access to my calendars and files.
    08-08-12 02:29 PM
    Campus Bookstores will usually have an e-book version of everything you will need. If you run into a CD only source, a kind friend with a USB cable or Bluetooth, and a PC data drive can easily transfer the data to you.

You can't go wrong with Docs 2 Go for your writing, data analysis and presentation work.

I use a compact BT keyboard, no mouse. The occasional screen touch is fine, a mouse would streamline the "real work".
    08-08-12 02:30 PM
    I personally like writing papers with my playbook. It's just way too easy for me to get distracted on a full pc. Having said that, I only do my rough drafts on my playbook. I use it as a brain dump it get everything I want to say out on paper. If you need to do research, you'll want the bigger screen to look up journal articles, etc. It's also a lot easier to quote others' work if you can see it while you are typing vs switching back on forth on the playbook or any tablet.

Hammering out my main draft on the playbook and then polishing it up and making it scholarly with the computer labs in the library has worked out well for me. Another plus with that is it forces me out of my apartment(with the big screen, the xbox, and roommates who always want to hang out). I know a lot of people who hate the library though. They complain that you can just feel the stress in the atmosphere.

The biggest issue would be if your playbook has any problems with quizzes or online homework. One of my classes has all of its assignments on a really old website that only worked with Internet explorer. Another class had all of the lectures on CD, where class time was strictly for going over homework. I could still do both of these in the library, but it would have been nicer then for a laptop.
    How much editing do you do on the computer compared to your playbook. What i wanted to do was get my final copy typed on the playbook and then transfer it to a computer to make some final edits and print it.
    08-08-12 02:32 PM
    You'll get a lot of varied opinions on this, I'm sure. My advice is "It all depends..."

The first thing we need to know is what kind of course of study do you plan? If you'll be using Access or Excel much, get the mouse...trying to fill in cells without it is frustrating, to say the least.

In fact, as a retired business college instructor, I'd recommend having a laptop, especially if you're living on campus. If you'll be living at home, a desktop would do.

I'm a big PB fan, but I think you'll need a bigger computer for homework and assignments. The PB can work well for downloads, class notes, recreation, calendar,email and social media. Also, the voice recorder is handy for quick notes.
    08-08-12 08:32 PM
    Documents to Go is marginal for use with spreadsheets and word type documents. OP does not say what type of college courses but seems to have his eye fixed on essays. Don't know what college he plans to go to but the requirement for submitting written work may require formatting not achieved easily without use of a laptop. Also don't plan on use of a group computer unless you are sure about easy accessibilities. When deadlines approach there may be a line. PlayBook will be great for note taking in class and taking videos. Don't handicap yourself by not having a laptop or desktop computer.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 08-08-12 at 09:35 PM.
    08-08-12 09:33 PM
    Just check if your college have a solution like citrix, mine has and I have totally forgot abgout my laptop, playbook does everything just fine with a bt mouse and keyboard
    08-08-12 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD