Does anyone know if USB3 has been considered for future OS systems for the Playbook? Has it been considered for OS v2.1? Is the hardware capable of supporting USB3?
    Thanks
    TMOC
    08-20-12 02:33 AM
    I was disappointed in finding out that the PlayBook WiFi only - supported USB upto 2.0 +EDR..

I believe the New PlayBook 4G supports USB3.0. I can be wrong here though..
    08-20-12 02:37 AM
    Tmoc, the current hardware for both the Playbook wifi and 4G is only USB 2.0.

New hardware is needed for USB3.0 as this cannot be switched on the software side
    08-20-12 07:07 AM
    Honestly, I would prefer RIM works on making the *existing* USB more functional, nevermind the speed.

What I mean is the ability to plug USB peripherals (keyboard, mouse, flash keys) or link to photo camera, or USB headsets or microphones or printers or other peripherals.

I have seen many $20 keyboard/trackpad cases that work with Android tablets simply because of USB plug-in capability. No extra batteries or bluetooth link issues.

If RIM can add this option to BB10, that would also be available on the entire spectrum of BB10 phone and BB10 tablets, that would be a KILLER feature.

(not so much a killer, since iPad already lets you do that, as do many Android tablets)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    08-20-12 07:22 AM
    I totally agree. The ability to plug in USB peripherals, especially a USB flash drive, would be HUGE. I would never need to carry a laptop again.
    08-20-12 08:57 PM
    I think allowing USB peripherals would be more like scope creep b/c it ceases to be a tablet and gravitates towards being a PC (an USB Host).

Although the mass storage ability would definitely be awesome

That being said you can easily enable developer mode on your Playbook, mount it as a network drive and drag and drop files to and from any other computer within your Wifi network. Yes it will be slower than straight USB but it does the job.
    08-22-12 12:43 AM
    I think allowing USB peripherals would be more like scope creep b/c it ceases to be a tablet and gravitates towards being a PC (an USB Host).

Although the mass storage ability would definitely be awesome

That being said you can easily enable developer mode on your Playbook, mount it as a network drive and drag and drop files to and from any other computer within your Wifi network. Yes it will be slower than straight USB but it does the job.
    No need to enable developer mode, just have File Sharing enabled under Storage & Sharing.

hehe. hehe. He said scope creep. (As a PM, I find it funny to see it in CB of all places).
    08-22-12 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD