I think chances are high coz playbook 3g will have only 32gb ( Leaked: BlackBerry PlayBook 3G+ Specs ) and not 64gb.....moreover they did not say about it in CES2012 as it would have reduced the sales of remaining 32gb and 64gb models
    02-04-12 01:47 AM
    I would definitely expect USB OTG support at some point.....Not sure when.

QNX job postings, had positions for USB development posted last year. The postings have been taken down. They did specify USB development for BlackBerry devices ....So take that for what it's worth
    jasperlin likes this.
    02-04-12 02:05 AM
    Percent chance of usb-otg with 2.0 = zero.

Only a public pressure campaign on RIM can possibly open up the USB port to hosting. Anyone up for it?
    02-04-12 02:58 AM
    Percent chance of usb-otg with 2.0 = zero.
    Only a public pressure campaign on RIM can possibly open up the USB port to hosting. Anyone up for it?
    What makes you state this as a fact ?
    IMHO, usb OTG has not been implemented for obvious security reasons, especially in enterprise environments. Since Balance is on its way, it may be enabled/disabled remotely for each private/corporate environments ... So there's no reason it won't appear one day.
    Then, in the FIRST release of OS 2.0 ... no one knows.
    02-04-12 03:20 AM
    What makes you state this as a fact ?
    IMHO, usb OTG has not been implemented for obvious security reasons, especially in enterprise environments. Since Balance is on its way, it may be enabled/disabled remotely for each private/corporate environments ... So there's no reason it won't appear one day.
    Then, in the FIRST release of OS 2.0 ... no one knows.
    I'm sure we'll all be happy memory stick toting PB users just as soon as RIM is able to lock out the ability to use memory sticks for the enterprise. PB 2 From the leaks, acknowledge only a 32 GB model. So here's to hoping it comes soon
    02-04-12 02:14 PM
    I'm sure we'll all be happy memory stick toting PB users just as soon as RIM is able to lock out the ability to use memory sticks for the enterprise. PB 2 From the leaks, acknowledge only a 32 GB model. So here's to hoping it comes soon
    OR... sadly, they may introduce it into a PB2 and not in the current models. A nudge for people to get a newer model!
    02-04-12 03:15 PM
    OR... sadly, they may introduce it into a PB2 and not in the current models. A nudge for people to get a newer model!
    This could surely be the case.
    02-04-12 03:20 PM
    They know we want it. USB host control scored in the top 5 features requested by users in RIM's survey of beta zone members.
    02-04-12 07:20 PM
    I think chances are high coz playbook 3g will have only 32gb ( Leaked: BlackBerry PlayBook 3G+ Specs ) and not 64gb.....moreover they did not say about it in CES2012 as it would have reduced the sales of remaining 32gb and 64gb models
    I guess I am the only one who has noticed that the BGR logo in the "leaked" RIM roadmap slides referencing the Playbook is behind the RIM disclaimer and some of the RIM text? Whether there is a Playbook 2 coming remains to be seen - personally, I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other. The slides in question though were either done with direct assistance of RIM (not too likely), or they are a fake (and not a very good one). There is that little problem of having the layers in the wrong order. Logos of the organization publishing the leak appear on top of the image, not behind it. The same site, BTW, currently has "leaked" photos purporting to show that there will be a quad core iPad 3 with global LTE. When was the first time, last time, or any time in between that leaked Apple specs used to feed pre-release hype remotely resembled the actual product specs? Oh, the BGR logo on those slides is in front of the image....
    02-04-12 09:54 PM
    If RIM does not deliver USB OTG with OS 2.0 then by Crom they will feel my wrath.

The tablet will remain crippled, although not as badly as it is now. I want to be able to load photos from my camera or whatever and be able to share them, upload them, blog them, etc.

Without USB OTG the tablet will remain amateur hour imho.
    02-04-12 10:11 PM
    They know we want it. USB host control scored in the top 5 features requested by users in RIM's survey of beta zone members.
    What were the top 5 feature requests?
    02-04-12 10:30 PM
    What were the top 5 feature requests?
    I don't remember off hand. I think the top three were keyboard enhancements (predictive / auto correct), native PIM/Email and cross-platform video chat. USB host controller was on there and the fifth one might have been the android player but I'm not sure.

Alex Saunders posted a brief summary of the results on the beta zone; I'm sure someone has that kicking around.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    02-05-12 08:30 AM
    I hope that's not true. For my uses, i'd rather buy a different tablet than a second PB just for the USB OTG.
    M132 likes this.
    02-05-12 09:00 AM
    Here's a link to a QNX job posting for a USB developer....If you can decipher any hint of USB OTG support, this could be a telling sign of things to come

Current Job Openings

We do have to be realistic as to the extent of USB OTG support on mobile devices
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-05-12 at 09:34 AM.
    02-05-12 09:32 AM
    Why do we have to be realistic? Realistic is expecting usb otg. Thankfully I have it on my Galaxy S2 but would prefer it on my playbook for the form factor and to improve the utility of the playbook for myself and others.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
    rcozzo likes this.
    02-05-12 10:19 AM
    moreover they did not say about it in CES2012 as it would have reduced the sales of remaining 32gb and 64gb models
    Just because I like pointing out flaws in people's arguments, I'd like to point out that here you're saying that USB OTG is coming because RIM didn't say it is? If that's reasonable logic then I guess once I have OS2 on my PlayBook it'll finally be able to make me breakfast!

Also, as said above, look at the source. If RIM announces that they'll only be selling a 32GB version, I'll take your suggestion more seriously, but when it's a single leaked document posted on a blog that doesn't particularly like RIM...
    02-05-12 10:22 AM
    Honestly, I feel if RIM wants to make an impression on the Tablet market, and wants a BUSINESS and TOY combo tablet they need USB OTG. The possibilities on a business side of this are endless. Not every paper/report/presentation is done by the one showing it. So to be able to slap a usb/card reader/etc into the playbook would be truly a strong way to bring in more business clients.

On the other hand. to be bale to take a picture, and instantly show it on the playbook would be amazing for both amateur and professional photographers. Also a great way to upload my game cameras and instantly see whats on there. Plus, we all here can think of 1000's of other way this could be used to better benefit the Playbook.
    02-07-12 07:31 AM
    I don't think if we'll ever get to see USB OTG OFFICIALLY on PB.
    Maybe if in case BB decides to lose the 'We make safest phones' tag, we may get it on PB2.
    02-07-12 09:20 AM
    I don't think if we'll ever get to see USB OTG OFFICIALLY on PB.
    I have no idea why you'd think that, when if that were truly RIM's strategy they'd just have told us, rather than showing various ways in which OTG would be useful to us.

Mike Lazaridis mentioned well over a year ago how we'd be able to use wired Ethernet adapters via USB.

Several RIM people, acting in official capacities, have mentioned USB support as being something in the works, but without specific plans or schedules they could discuss yet.

Recently the official RIM developer blog showed off an example of using USB to connect to an Arduino board, as a demonstration of using the PlayBook to control other devices.

I'm also aware of RIM partners who have been working closely with RIM specifically on using the expected future USB support to interface with their own equipment.

It's not a question of if we'll get it, but merely of when.
    02-07-12 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD