USB has been coined as the ubiquitous security backdoor by the SANS Institute.

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whi...backdoor_33173
    So have a million other things. I bet the browser you are typing in right now can be used to maliciously execute something on your machine. Look, I get it, security is important, don't get me wrong. However, security concerns are an absolute cop-out for RIM and nothing else. In fact I never actually heard a formal statement from RIM citing concerns over USB security as the reason for the lack of inclusion of USB OTG. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that is a made up idea by forumgoers used to justify lack of certain features. As it stands right now there is no reason for not providing USB OTG on a PlayBook (let's face it, this device is far from business-suitable).

At the end of the day, beggars can't be choosers. RIM isn't exactly in a market leader position of anything right now so maybe they *should* be expending a bit more resources on making consumers happy
    Last edited by dejanh; 04-17-12 at 06:07 PM.
    04-17-12 06:03 PM
    So have a million other things. I bet the browser you are typing in right now can be used to maliciously execute something on your machine. Look, I get it, security is important, don't get me wrong. However, security concerns are an absolute cop-out for RIM and nothing else. There is no reason for not providing USB OTG.
    Cop out or not, it is a valid reason which you initially dismissed in its entirety.

There are a million things that needs to improve with the Playbook OS and the BB10 OS --- I rather RIM spend their time and energy on those outstanding issues than on this USB thingie that has a million cons and a couple of pros.
    04-17-12 06:07 PM
    Cop out or not, it is a valid reason which you initially dismissed in its entirety.

There are a million things that needs to improve with the Playbook OS and the BB10 OS --- I rather RIM spend their time and energy on those outstanding issues than on this USB thingie that has a million cons and a couple of pros.
    Cop-out by definition is not a valid reason. I agree that there are a million things that need to improve on the PB. However, I stand by my edit above in saying that the PB is hardly business-anything. It was always meant to compete in mainstream with other consumer devices. There is no need for RIM's security cards to be played here, unless you are trying to justify the lack of features to make yourself feel better.

I own two PlayBooks, and they are good for nothing right now but playing, and that is also in a limited fashion. If they expended their energy on at least making it be absolutely excellent in the "Play" part, I think that they may see a lot more consumers going after this tablet. Until then, none of these updates will do anything.
    04-17-12 06:10 PM
    It was always meant to compete in mainstream with other consumer devices. There is no need for RIM's security cards to be played here, unless you are trying to justify the lack of features to make yourself feel better.

I own two PlayBooks, and they are good for nothing right now but playing, and that is also in a limited fashion.
    What was meant initially --- was changed. All non-ipad tablets were duds as consumer devices. And RIM has stated that they are moving away from consumer services and focused back to their core competence.
    04-17-12 06:14 PM
    I just want to be able to plug my camera into my playbook and download files to free jp space on the camera for more shots...will this work now or not? :s
    04-17-12 06:17 PM
    I am a Canadian in Toronto.
    04-17-12 06:18 PM
    It looks like RIM is going to talk about USB and bluetooth APIs at BB Jam.
    Foreverup and SifJar like this.
    04-17-12 06:20 PM
    It looks like RIM is going to talk about USB and bluetooth APIs at BB Jam.
    Which session is it? I seem to recall only a session on BlueTooth.
    04-17-12 07:01 PM
    I've heard a lot of people say that for the new playbook update that came today you don't need to jailbreak the playbook to use an external hard drive USB OTG but i also heard a lot people say that you can't. So just to clarify can you or can you not?
    GDubbin likes this.
    04-17-12 07:20 PM
    I've heard a lot of people say that for the new playbook update that came today you don't need to jailbreak the playbook to use an external hard drive USB OTG but i also heard a lot people say that you can't. So just to clarify can you or can you not?
    Right now seems you can't. But as xsacha said the driver is there and will probably be added with a 2.1 or 2.5 update.
    fruitdroid likes this.
    04-17-12 07:26 PM
    Which session is it? I seem to recall only a session on BlueTooth.
    It's the one on Bluetooth... GRP101 � Roundtable: BlackBerry 10 USB and Bluetooth Extensibility

Abstract: Accessories connected over Bluetooth� and USB can augment input and output mechanisms for many users. BlackBerry� 10 is capable of supporting these accessories. There are currently devices that work with BlackBerry out of the box, but sometimes the technology requires greater control using APIs. Join us for discussion to learn what�s possible and available.

Speakers:
    • Shadid Haque, Application Development Consultant with Research In Motion Ltd.
    • Justin Pedro, Manager, BUS Connectivity with Research In Motion
    • Allan Stirrett, Team Lead, Bluetooth Profiles with Research In Motion

----

Note, however, that it's not a regular session, and I don't think it's best to think of it as "RIM will talk about X"... sounds more like they want to talk to developers and get input from them on use cases, APIs, etc, and to me it doesn't sound like they consider this a feature nearly ready for release. I could be wrong though, but this is the only "GRP" session and it's called a roundtable, so keep expectations low.
    04-17-12 07:30 PM
    This is a good example of how external hardware can be easily run on the playbook via USB connection.. RIM will definitely access USB support once their OS is completely secure.. No reason why companies have left out this option..

I hate it when some kind of technology commonly exists yet companies restrict the usage. PlayBook will change this!!!

04-18-12 01:08 AM
    Right now seems you can't. But as xsacha said the driver is there and will probably be added with a 2.1 or 2.5 update.
    More likely 3.0.
    04-18-12 02:29 AM
    It's the one on Bluetooth... GRP101 � Roundtable: BlackBerry 10 USB and Bluetooth Extensibility

Abstract: Accessories connected over Bluetooth� and USB can augment input and output mechanisms for many users. BlackBerry� 10 is capable of supporting these accessories. There are currently devices that work with BlackBerry out of the box, but sometimes the technology requires greater control using APIs. Join us for discussion to learn what�s possible and available.

Speakers:
    • Shadid Haque, Application Development Consultant with Research In Motion Ltd.
    • Justin Pedro, Manager, BUS Connectivity with Research In Motion
    • Allan Stirrett, Team Lead, Bluetooth Profiles with Research In Motion

----

Note, however, that it's not a regular session, and I don't think it's best to think of it as "RIM will talk about X"... sounds more like they want to talk to developers and get input from them on use cases, APIs, etc, and to me it doesn't sound like they consider this a feature nearly ready for release. I could be wrong though, but this is the only "GRP" session and it's called a roundtable, so keep expectations low.
    It's still not scheduled. Wonder why.
    04-18-12 02:35 AM
    This is a good example of how external hardware can be easily run on the playbook via USB connection.. RIM will definitely access USB support once their OS is completely secure.. No reason why companies have left out this option..

I hate it when some kind of technology commonly exists yet companies restrict the usage. PlayBook will change this!!!

This requires you to use an arduino board with the Android Open Accessory Mode (ADK). For someone like me who needs to interface directly with HID USB Devices, this isn't suitable as I would have to ship a built board with my app that they can plug between the USB device and the playbook.

I just hope they release the ability to communicate directly using the USB HID/Serial drivers otherwise they will lose a lot of the hardware interface market and it's growing...
    04-18-12 02:46 AM
    OK, after reading a few pages of arguments for and against, I think I've gathered that USB flash/HD drives and mice do not work. Does anything else? Anyone actually tested a keyboard?

Thanks
    shung likes this.
    04-18-12 05:32 AM
    HP 2gb USB thumb drive = No Go
    Lenovo USB keyboard = No Go
    Logitech USB mouse = No Go

I guess I will have to wait for next update but its good to know this will be in the near future........
    SteveCoops likes this.
    04-18-12 08:45 AM
    OTG Stands for On the go. Found some information on USB OTG here.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-18-12 02:36 PM
    i dont think the active usb-host mode on the current update can acess a HD. as u can see there is no way u can mount a flash/hd on the PB. no manual mounting option. and it shows as a network drive when u connect it! which means RIM is still holding a lease on mounting options on PB. i think mounting has to be done during booting (if someone succeds in deassembling the bootloader). as far as mounting on the live system goes, i dont think that PB can mount a HD on a running system, due to use of more resources (some one pointed out earlier).
    04-18-12 03:03 PM
    think i'll convert an sd card reader from usb to micro b. then i'll make a video for my first try
    gredneck and Just Me like this.
    04-18-12 03:30 PM
    So I can buy one of these Click to view quoted image
    and plug in a thumb drive? What about a USB hard drive?
    Bit of a newb on this, but if this gets enabled will I be able to use one of these then a usb to micro again and have my playbook update my bb phone to eliminate having to use a laptop at all?
    04-19-12 02:00 AM
    Last night, i gave it a try with a mouse or keyboard, and wouldn't work.
    04-19-12 09:45 AM
    think i'll convert an sd card reader from usb to micro b. then i'll make a video for my first try
    How did that go?
    04-19-12 12:23 PM
    Well xsacha I think this might be an answer to the driver you found

BlackBerry 10 USB Host & Bluetooth Accessories Coming! (USB & Bluetooth APIs) - BerryReview

RIM has teased us with USB host and other accessories for awhile now but it looks like they are finally coming. One of the unscheduled sessions at BlackBerry 10 Jam is a GRP101 – Roundtable: BlackBerry 10 USB and Bluetooth Extensibility. There three RIM employees will be discussing how accessories can connect over USB or Bluetooth. This includes:
    Learn about the USB APIs for BlackBerry 10 (e.g. USB Host-Mode Serial Device, Android Accessory Protocol etc.
    Discover Bluetooth APIs for BlackBerry 10 (e,g. Serial Port Profile, Device Discovery, etc.)
    Offer feedback to product managers on the usefulness of these technologies

The Android Accessory Protocol is totally new along with RIM letting developers share their own feedback. I just love how these APIs are already a given with BlackBerry 10. Now if only I could fast forward and get a copy on my PlayBook… Here is how RIM describes the session they will be covering:

Accessories connected over Bluetooth� and USB can augment input and output mechanisms for many users. BlackBerry� 10 is capable of supporting these accessories. There are currently devices that work with BlackBerry out of the box, but sometimes the technology requires greater control using APIs. Join us for discussion to learn what’s possible and available.

The speakers are
    Allan Stirrett Team Lead, Bluetooth Profiles at RIM
    Justin Pedro Manager, BUS Connectivity at RIM
    Shadid Haque Application Development Consultant at RIM
    04-19-12 03:42 PM
    Well xsacha I think this might be an answer to the driver you found

BlackBerry 10 USB Host & Bluetooth Accessories Coming! (USB & Bluetooth APIs) - BerryReview
    Very nice. I want a usb to serial adapter with a VTY100 app, and a usb to Ethernet adapter to connect to wired networks. Could do most of my work stuff if I had these and a terminal app.
    04-19-12 03:52 PM
133 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD