This is a great feature, thanks Rim.
    04-17-12 02:42 PM
    And back to the age old debate of RIM are they company issued devices or consumer devices. Why not open the devices wide open then let companies control features via MDM/BES?

I prefer the wide open method but the RIM never seem to change devices strategy from company issued devices
    One way to solve this is to have a log-on screen after start-up providing a user/root-user option, consumers will have their way, and IT Professional Dep. of a Corperation can take over the root user password protected account and leave the work-force using user mode (this can help a corporate IT department a great deal)
    Foreverup likes this.
    04-17-12 02:48 PM
    If you use WPA2 with non-dictionary passphrase, you are not going to get hacked on your wifi connection. There are no known realistic way to hack your wifi.
    Have fun learning (please RESPECT this info, DO NOT MISUSE IT) were not as safe as you would like to feel.

How to hack WPA/WPA2

7 Things Wi-Fi Hackers Hope You Don't Know

Wi-Fi Security: Cracking WPA With CPUs, GPUs, And The Cloud : How Secure Is Your Wireless Network?

How to hack WPA wireless security in one minute - ComputerworldUK.com

How to Crack Wi-Fi WPA and WPA2 PSK Passwords
    04-17-12 02:54 PM
    Just a note...the servers are so busy I'm getting under 10Kb a sec plugged into the laptop using BB desktop software.

I expected this to be a bug fix and a framework for a bigger update (more features).

2.0.1 is a bug fix release.

2.1 will be a feature release.

The same with any other software.

EXCEPT Win95, 95 OSR2 and Win98. Win95 OSR2 was a rare OS with most of the features of 98...only sold on new computers. Win98 was a bug fix for 95 OSR2, where 95 OSR2 was the feature update.

Win98 SE was the bug fix for the whole mess, but did add new features too.
    04-17-12 02:55 PM
    [..]
    TL;DR: USB mice, keyboards, vacuum cleaners, microwaves should now be possible when RIM enables.
    When RIM enables it...
    LikeA likes this.
    04-17-12 02:55 PM
    Have fun learning (please RESPECT this info, DO NOT MISUSE IT) were not as safe as you would like to feel.
    They are ALL dictionary attacks.

If you use just a 10-12 digit numerical-alphabet non-dictionary passphrase (you don't even need to go 63 digit length) --- the police can sit in your front yard for the next 10 years and still can't hack your wifi.
    Last edited by samab; 04-17-12 at 03:05 PM.
    04-17-12 03:03 PM
    One way to solve this is to have a log-on screen after start-up providing a user/root-user option, consumers will have their way, and IT Professional Dep. of a Corperation can take over the root user password protected account and leave the work-force using user mode (this can help a corporate IT department a great deal)
    Love this idea
    04-17-12 03:04 PM
    Just a note...the servers are so busy I'm getting under 10Kb a sec plugged into the laptop using BB desktop software.
    Downloaded pretty quick for me. Maybe 20-30 minutes total? Doubt my internet connection could have gone much faster than that. (just waiting for it to install now...)
    westronic likes this.
    04-17-12 03:05 PM
    I'll believe it once I see youtube videos from at least 3 people from different continents showing this actually works.
    04-17-12 03:06 PM
    Can an app be made to turn the usb on so you could use a flash drive????

Do you mean something like this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dGNoZXJvdGciXQ..
    Last edited by rippley5150; 04-17-12 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Change
    04-17-12 03:17 PM
    They are ALL dictionary attacks.

If you use just a 10-12 digit numerical-alphabet non-dictionary passphrase (you don't even need to go 63 digit length) --- the police can sit in your front yard for the next 10 years and still can't hack your wifi.
    RIGHT ,yes, but only if you remember to set to AES ONLY,tkip is a risk as it has been cracked,and most routers use that for backward compatibillity,then there are brute force attacks(more powerfull the computer the quicker it will crack), An example of safe is Mac. address locked, AES encryption only(do Not use TKIP),a passphrase like Hb5DfhJs73K9G2zb7Mva03QwUe,hidden SSID, as for hacking,Police don't need to ,They are given back doors, some have been leaked, AS for 10 years,AES was originaly described to take 75 Years with current Tech(that was stated like years ago, and they knew that # would deminish with more powerfull hardware doubleing/tripling every year), I never lie in a security blanket cause some stranger says im safe there, i guard my own @$$
    04-17-12 03:18 PM
    SSID has nothing to do with security. It is actually a security vulnerability to hide SSID.

WPA2 spec was finalized in 2004 --- 8 years ago.

Go and read some of the links you listed. It takes 30-40 years using the latest GPU to crack a 8 digit non-dictionary passphrase.

GPU-Based Cracking: AMD Vs. Nvidia In Brute-Force Attack Performance : Wi-Fi Security: Cracking WPA With CPUs, GPUs, And The Cloud

You can GO UP to 63 digits for your passphrase --- that goes into hundreds of thousands of years.

By the time hardware becomes fast enough to hack AES, the next generation of encryption will be selected by the US government.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
    04-17-12 03:28 PM
    "SSID has nothing to do with security. It is actually a security vulnerability to hide SSID."
    thats why people STOPed snooping my router,
    "Go and read some of the links you listed"=lame-brain attempt
    "You can GO UP to 63 digits for your passphrase"=Gee i completely forgot I KNEW THAT 3 YEARS AGO
    "By the time hardware becomes fast enough to hack AES, the next generation of encryption will be selected by the US government."=you clearly DIDN'T pay attention to the fact i stated most modems are not set to AES on default (user responsibility), as i made NO mention of AES being vulnerable, only TKIP, which is still used
    "You have no idea what you are talking about"= if i didnt, the problems i had(steeling my internet connection) would not have been solved by my own self education on the matter and rectification there-of

You all through?
    04-17-12 03:49 PM
    SSID was never designed as a security item and was never designed to be hidden.

Debunking Myths: Is Hiding Your Wireless SSID Really More Secure? - How-To Geek

You talked about how you know what you are doing --- yet you are attempting to argue solely on the basis of default router setting for a novice.

If what you claim it's true that you know what you are doing --- then you don't have a wifi security problem. You can argue that wired usb data transfer may be faster, definitely save battery life vs blasting wifi radio.

What you can't do is arguing a bunch of novice user wifi configuration errors and then claim that you are an expert wifi user who knows what you are doing.
    04-17-12 04:00 PM
    "SSID was never designed as a security item..."-i Know
    "...and was never designed to be hidden"-i did Not know, never heard that, thanks(not kissn @$$)
    "wired usb data transfer may be faster, definitely save battery life vs blasting wifi radio"-it is , no need to argue
    "arguing a bunch of novice user wifi configuration errors ..."-the wifi configuration errors are default set by the factory , not a noob
    "...and then claim that you are an expert wifi user who knows what you are doing"- NOT ONCE did I ever use the word expert referring to myself, but now that word/subject has come up, there is a MAN i do learn from who IS an expert.(IF you consider a man with a masters degree in computer software science who worked in the Military for 30 years, a seasoned expert), and when He tells me don't do this , do it that way , i choose to LISTEN, not to some screen name/texter/blogger

"If what you claim it's true that you know what you are doing --- then you don't have a wifi security problem"-I claim it-I live it-I love it-(on the internet forum , claiming is about all anyone can do,lest you wanna vid. for ref.)

My last post on this , i will only speak of USB after this
    04-17-12 04:28 PM
    That was funny! All those links did was prove samab's point
    04-17-12 04:39 PM
    YOUR not a part of this, he didn't listen to me correctly, argument over , beat it
    04-17-12 04:44 PM
    I just like the way my �169.00 PB does what I want it to do, keeps gettin a bit better and has potential for more tweaks as and when RIM feel it is good enough to release, I feel like a father watching a kid growing and blossoming with a few stumbles along the way
    SlcCorrado and ralfyguy like this.
    04-17-12 04:45 PM
    YOUR not a part of this, he didn't listen to me correctly, argument over , beat it
    Too funny! Thanks for the chuckle boys
    04-17-12 05:00 PM
    As I said before, some people like to talk out of their a$$. Nothing laid out in this thread or others before this have actually shown any concrete reasons why USB OTG should not be implemented. Therefore, RIM is just incompetent. That is the only factual thing here. It seems everything that they have touched in the past 3-5 years always somehow ends up getting 50%-75% finished, but never actually finished. It is really sad.

End of story. Now to go back and wait for future PB updates and hope they bring something better to the table
    Last edited by dejanh; 04-17-12 at 05:11 PM.
    04-17-12 05:08 PM
    Couldn't they just set up a media share that is locked, like how bridge is locked when initially bridged, or have it so that you need to enter a password when connecting a USB device? Either way would keep the consumer at ease knowing randoms can not just jump on their playbook and install some malware, on the other hand it should be at the consumers discretion and their responsibility to scan their USB devices before using.

I'm not a tech expert, but as general user I would feel safe enough to use it, and those that don't can avoid it all together. Just my opinion, I understand security is more important for others and may feel differently; after all, it is supposed to be a business device.
    04-17-12 05:22 PM
    QNX Website Search

i just checked this out,and it looks like this- Knowledge Base -*might* explain the usb issue, there's these articles too- Knowledge Base
    ,I not sure , but some of these articles sound like some of the same problems i heard people had when they rooted to get usb initiated on the system, and had a usb key attatched
    04-17-12 05:41 PM
    As I said before, some people like to talk out of their a$$. Nothing laid out in this thread or others before this have actually shown any concrete reasons why USB OTG should not be implemented. Therefore, RIM is just incompetent. That is the only factual thing here. It seems everything that they have touched in the past 3-5 years always somehow ends up getting 50%-75% finished, but never actually finished. It is really sad.

End of story. Now to go back and wait for future PB updates and hope they bring something better to the table
    USB has been coined as the ubiquitous security backdoor by the SANS Institute.

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whi...backdoor_33173
    04-17-12 05:50 PM
    This means that you can access a USB drive from within PlayBook OS. If you get a gender changer from USB Micro to USB (female) you can add a (SD) Card Reader to the PlayBook, read/copy files and/or upload the files with your PlayBook. Ultimately, this can mean you can travel lighter than before as you do not need you laptop to do this.
    04-17-12 05:57 PM
    The really funny thing is that he lives in BC --- and is scared of American G-Man cracking his wifi signal (which doesn't travel beyond a hundred feet off his front door). G-Man doesn't have jurisdiction in Canada and they can't do warrantless searches of his Canadian ISP's facilities.

Then he worries about wifi security weakness which in real life will take decades to crack his wifi network. And to guard against the mythical G-Man who has no jurisdiction in Canada, he decides to hide his SSID which a 10 year old can configure out his hidden SSID.
    04-17-12 06:00 PM
133 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD