Why is it that none of the core selling features ever seem to make it into the update in a functional form. Why in the is it so difficult to add AC3, DLNA, and USB OTG support for external storage?

And again, deceiving thread title is deceiving.
    As a semi-nerd, I find this post deceiving.

When were the three features you mention ever key selling points for the PB? AC3 will most likely never happen, as it's a Dolby proprietary format requiring licence. DNLA, let's hope so, but I didn't buy my PB because it had DNLA, and was never represented as such. USB OTG - I concede that this would have it's uses in the field as many have said before, so let's hope that it comes.

Key selling points? Not in the brochures, unboxings, reviews, and everything else I read before making my purchase...
    ambarmetta likes this.
    04-17-12 12:18 PM
    Besides ,wifi conection is LESS secure than using usb drives
    04-17-12 12:19 PM
    As a semi-nerd, I find this post deceiving.

When were the three features you mention ever key selling points for the PB? AC3 will most likely never happen, as it's a Dolby proprietary format requiring licence. DNLA, let's hope so, but I didn't buy my PB because it had DNLA, and was never represented as such. USB OTG - I concede that this would have it's uses in the field as many have said before, so let's hope that it comes.

Key selling points? Not in the brochures, unboxings, reviews, and everything else I read before making my purchase...
    You are pecking at breadcrumbs my friend trying to justify, well, not even sure what you are trying to justify Right now the PB does not do anything well, it does a lot of things so-so but not well. As I posted in another thread, adding proper media support can actually distinguish the PB from the rest of the failed tablets and revive the darn thing. Considering all of the media features and capabilities already built into the device it only makes logical sense
    04-17-12 12:54 PM
    Holy f**k you people need to relax a bit!

I'm not arguing anything with anyone. It's a waste of time here because, well, I've already felt the need to tell you to relax a bit.

dejanh, you didn't mention what I said about MicroSD on the PlayBook in your little diatribe. I understand what you're saying about WiFi file transfers, but I still feel how I do until someone proves me otherwise about USB Host mode and MicroSD on the PlayBook.

Let's all check out the fun new features of the OS update and just chill out a bit!
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-17-12 12:54 PM
    Well, that's encouraging because what would be the point of installing the driver if they never plan to enable it. My guess is they are making us wait because there are issues that need to be resolved and/or RIM wants to get their own accessory adapter ready for market before they enable it.
    Yes, I believe this is the case. Back when I was rooted and enabled the USB host mode, my free RAM took a huge hit. It would only leave about 100mb available. This could be what they are working on. I'm guessing that the USB keyboard may not take nearly as many resources, so they felt they could release that.

I for one am disheartened by how many things the Playbook can/could do, but the possibility isn't there yet. However, I still go to bed every night in love with my Playbook because of all that I CAN do on it. Each time a new feature comes out, I fall in love with it just a bit more. What I try to remember is that this is a work in process. No one has patience anymore. I can't say I blame anyone for not having patience. However, I for one am loyal and excited to see what comes from RIM in the future. I'd still buy a Playbook today just like I did a year ago, even given all the new options out there.

FWIW, this is just my opinion and I say keep the innovation going RIM. It is a very tough battle, but I'm fighting with ya!
    rshew likes this.
    04-17-12 01:15 PM
    Excited about USB OTG. I need a slick SD card reader so I can take my digital photos and video right out of camera and show them on my PB right away. Waiting to get to a laptop to see the GoPro footage is pretty lame.

A clip style card reader would be perfect. A plastic housing which fits tight to the PB on the back and plugs into the micro USB port on the bottom. Essentially we need someone to combine the following two product into a PB specific solution. CrackBerry store go flex your muscles and see what you can do.

SanDisk Canada Online Store - SanDisk MicroMate
    New Black USB 2.0 A Female to USB Micro 5Pin Male Adapter Converter Connecter P | eBay
    StringThing likes this.
    04-17-12 01:18 PM
    Excited about USB OTG. I need a slick SD card reader so I can take my digital photos and video right out of camera and show them on my PB right away. Waiting to get to a laptop to see the GoPro footage is pretty lame.

A clip style card reader would be perfect. A plastic housing which fits tight to the PB on the back and plugs into the micro USB port on the bottom. Essentially we need someone to combine the following two product into a PB specific solution. CrackBerry store go flex your muscles and see what you can do.

SanDisk Canada Online Store - SanDisk MicroMate
    New Black USB 2.0 A Female to USB Micro 5Pin Male Adapter Converter Connecter P | eBay
    You realize that USB OTG does not work, right?
    04-17-12 01:19 PM
    You realize that USB OTG does not work, right?
    Yes, I do realise that it doesn't work yet. Here is a video of puppies to cheer you up.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VbquuNbWM4[/YT]
    Last edited by Just Me; 04-19-12 at 12:50 PM.
    04-17-12 01:33 PM
    Can an app be made to turn the usb on so you could use a flash drive????
    04-17-12 01:35 PM
    You are pecking at breadcrumbs my friend trying to justify, well, not even sure what you are trying to justify Right now the PB does not do anything well, it does a lot of things so-so but not well. As I posted in another thread, adding proper media support can actually distinguish the PB from the rest of the failed tablets and revive the darn thing. Considering all of the media features and capabilities already built into the device it only makes logical sense
    Now I look back, I'm not sure what I was whining about to be honest - it felt a little bit like another complaint about how the pb doesn't do what you were told it would in advertising, like so many posts I've read.

Sorry to be too quick on the keyboard.

The part of your post I've put in bold I wholeheartedly agree with. DNLA cert would be fantastic, and another thing to champion, other than "flash in the browser" which is the popular fallback for many (myself included if I've run out of patience!)

Apologies again.
    dejanh likes this.
    04-17-12 01:36 PM
    Besides ,wifi conection is LESS secure than using usb drives
    USB Hosting is a MAJOR security issue --- which is why I doubt RIM will enable it any time soom.
    04-17-12 01:39 PM
    any chance this driver can be extracted to be put on rooted playbooks?
    04-17-12 01:39 PM
    USB Hosting is a MAJOR security issue --- which is why I doubt RIM will enable it any time soom.
    Doing nothing more than stating it a risk proves NOTHING,anyone can Say anything.Considering the ease of accsess to Police tools for eavsdroping on WiFi, and medeling there-of, and the fact i have to be 5 feet from you with copper coils on your usb conection to be a risk to your USB, next time anyone wants to SAY usb is a security risk,PROVIDE REASONABLE EVIDENCE,or be known as a ........
    dejanh likes this.
    04-17-12 01:52 PM
    Doing nothing more than stating it a risk proves NOTHING,anyone can Say anything.Considering the ease of accsess to Police tools for eavsdroping on WiFi, and medeling there-of, and the fact i have to be 5 feet from you with copper coils on your usb conection to be a risk to your USB, next time anyone wants to SAY usb is a security risk,PROVIDE REASONABLE EVIDENCE,or be known as a ........
    D0uchebag? I agree I too would like to have somebody who really understands security explain to me how reading external storage over USB is such a critical (or maybe I should say **MAJOR** ) security threat...

Until then, this is all just uninformed individuals trying to provide justifications for obviously missing features.
    DAnklaud likes this.
    04-17-12 01:56 PM
    I don't understand it either. I get how a thumbdrive can be a security risk because its so small and easy to use and lose but its not as if thumbdrives are broadcasting or leaking data if you take reasonable care of them. I can hook by PB to my PC and transfer all sorts of stuff, and I can do it wifi, so why not USB OTG? I will be accountable for my own choices about storage devices.
    04-17-12 02:05 PM
    USB mass storage is disabled where I work for a variety of reasons. Its disabled on desktops, servers, BlackBerry devices, everything. WiFi also does not exist where I work, and likewise BlackBerry devices are disabled from connecting to WiFi. USBs are a security risk for LARGE data transfers that can easily be hidden. Even in areas of corporate WiFi, it can easily be tracked when large amounts of data are copied across it. USB is much easier to conceal.
    04-17-12 02:08 PM
    The police isn't going to listen to your wifi traffic --- that's Google's thing.

25% Of Malware Spread Via USB Drives - Security - Vulnerabilities and threats - Informationweek
    04-17-12 02:16 PM
    USB mass storage is disabled where I work for a variety of reasons. Its disabled on desktops, servers, BlackBerry devices, everything. WiFi also does not exist where I work, and likewise BlackBerry devices are disabled from connecting to WiFi. USBs are a security risk for LARGE data transfers that can easily be hidden. Even in areas of corporate WiFi, it can easily be tracked when large amounts of data are copied across it. USB is much easier to conceal.
    Ya , im aware of the risks for WORK places (banks especially),this is natural(autorun.ini anyone?..hahaha),but these are things that can be done on any connection,but for a personally owned device WiFi is The risk to you the user, while usb is a risk of You harming Yourself-no diferent than the harm you could do yourself with usb to pc or wifi. If there is an autorun ini command on the playbook,or a version of COFFEE(that acualy works on the playbook) on the usb key, then there is a risk,if you dont bother to scan your key, BUT there is a Big difference between the Work-force risks , and personal user risks=work-force equals stolen clasified info(with a hidden auto-run snooper), personal means not much at all
    dejanh likes this.
    04-17-12 02:24 PM
    ^ A bit hard to read at moments but good point
    04-17-12 02:28 PM
    Ya , im aware of the risks for WORK places (banks especially),this is natural(autorun.ini anyone?..hahaha),but these are things that can be done on any connection,but for a personally owned device WiFi is The risk to you the user, while usb is a risk of You harming Yourself-no diferent than the harm you could do yourself with usb to pc or wifi. If there is an autorun ini command on the playbook,or a version of COFFEE(that acualy works on the playbook) on the usb key, then there is a risk,if you dont bother to scan your key, BUT there is a Big difference between the Work-force risks , and personal user risks=work-force equals stolen clasified info(with a hidden auto-run snooper), personal means not much at all
    And back to the age old debate of RIM are they company issued devices or consumer devices. Why not open the devices wide open then let companies control features via MDM/BES?

I prefer the wide open method but the RIM never seem to change devices strategy from company issued devices
    Last edited by Foreverup; 04-17-12 at 02:32 PM.
    biff101 likes this.
    04-17-12 02:29 PM
    Sorry if thread deceived but there is a real (improved and fully working) USB OTG driver in there, just not enabled.
    How do we see this driver?
    04-17-12 02:34 PM
    The police isn't going to listen to your wifi traffic --- that's Google's thing.

25% Of Malware Spread Via USB Drives - Security - Vulnerabilities and threats - Informationweek
    While studying to get my Private Investigators license, i found quite a few tricks for Police to use (i WILL NOT elaborate), google isnt much of a threat as far as personal use goes, Only the Work-force needs to protect themselfs from googles prying eyes. and ya , about malware on usb keys, did you pay attention to the OS's at risk? did you ever think to scan your usb key with an anti-malware suite? cause i do. in this day and age ,its kinda dumbb not to. (P.S. if you wonder about COFFEE, its a police tool to scan you logs , passwords, history, skin images, IP's and so on)
    04-17-12 02:35 PM
    How do we see this driver?
    I use FILE EXPLORER from xlabs,found Ton's of USB drivers for Host mode
    04-17-12 02:39 PM
    If you use WPA2 with non-dictionary passphrase, you are not going to get hacked on your wifi connection. There are no known realistic way to hack your wifi.
    04-17-12 02:39 PM
    While studying to get my Private Investigators license, i found quite a few tricks for Police to use (i WILL NOT elaborate), google isnt much of a threat as far as personal use goes, Only the Work-force needs to protect themselfs from googles prying eyes. and ya , about malware on usb keys, did you pay attention to the OS's at risk? did you ever think to scan your usb key with an anti-malware suite? cause i do. in this day and age ,its kinda dumbb not to. (P.S. if you wonder about COFFEE, its a police tool to scan you logs , passwords, history, skin images, IP's and so on)
    Police can get a warrant and tap into AT&T's and Verizon's network directly.
    04-17-12 02:41 PM
133 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD