ohhhhh....
    esk369 likes this.
    04-17-12 10:50 AM
    You would need an adapter because the playbook uses a micro/macro (can never remember which one to use) usb port, the same as your phone
    Yea I know - I don't have one but I'm hoping someone does so we can test this ish!
    04-17-12 10:52 AM
    Hi
    I've tried hooking up a flash drive and a powered portable hard drive and both were a no go. Not sure if I need to adjust settings some where.

This is the one thing I want more than anything for the playbook lol
    Last edited by rippley5150; 04-17-12 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Change
    Foreverup and Old Ag like this.
    04-17-12 10:54 AM
    hope this works, the thought of being able to my pics and vids to a flash drive while on the go is making me feel giddy
    04-17-12 10:58 AM
    Hi
    I've tried hooking up a flash drive and a powered portable hard drive and both were a no go. Not sure if I need to adjust settings some where.

This is the one thing I want more than anything for the playbook lol
    Do you have file sharing turned on and usb connections set to auto detect?
    04-17-12 11:01 AM
    You guys should be testing this with a USB keyboard or mouse. If the driver is working, it should 'just work'.

It is very likely that a USB flash drive would not appear because it would need to be mounted to become visible. Mount requires root. RIM would have to purposely allow flash drives.

Note: I haven't installed the firmware yet. Waiting on confirmation that you can downgrade back.
    04-17-12 11:04 AM
    Yes to both
    04-17-12 11:06 AM
    Yes to both
    try a keyboard
    04-17-12 11:12 AM
    Cool
    Thanks xsacha
    The mouse didn't work
    Purple monkey dishwasher
    Last edited by rippley5150; 04-17-12 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Update
    04-17-12 11:14 AM
    So now...USB OTG works with external storage or not? Can somebody give a straight answer please?

Deceiving thread title is deceiving...I got so excited and now I am starting to feel kinda let down...
    04-17-12 11:19 AM
    The USB drive and the powered portable drive that I connected did not work.
    04-17-12 11:23 AM
    Danklaud do you still need to rooted or does it work now for everyone?
    No root, no root needed at all, wooo ,wooo ,ja
    04-17-12 11:23 AM
    So now...USB OTG works with external storage or not? Can somebody give a straight answer please?

Deceiving thread title is deceiving...I got so excited and now I am starting to feel kinda let down...
    It appears any type of removable storage will not work.....yet. To simplify, the parameters are not there in the OS code yet to allow for this. However, it appears that a keyboard will work because the parameters are in place for that.

This is a good sign and hopefully in the 2.1 update, Removable storage will be there. I will be waiting as I did a lot of research into the rooting/usb otg and was able to get it to work for a while. I have a 64gb flash drive with about 30gb of movies on it. I'm eagerly anticipating this.
    ex_droidluvr likes this.
    04-17-12 11:25 AM
    I was excitet as well and tried USB memo stick and mouse and can confirm - they are both no go. This is with file sharing on and USB connections - automatically detect.
    04-17-12 11:27 AM
    It appears any type of removable storage will not work.....yet. To simplify, the parameters are not there in the OS code yet to allow for this. However, it appears that a keyboard will work because the parameters are in place for that.

This is a good sign and hopefully in the 2.1 update, Removable storage will be there. I will be waiting as I did a lot of research into the rooting/usb otg and was able to get it to work for a while. I have a 64gb flash drive with about 30gb of movies on it. I'm eagerly anticipating this.
    Why is it that none of the core selling features ever seem to make it into the update in a functional form. Why in the is it so difficult to add AC3, DLNA, and USB OTG support for external storage?

And again, deceiving thread title is deceiving.
    04-17-12 11:29 AM
    Dang, i was prematurely excited
    04-17-12 11:31 AM
    Why is it that none of the core selling features ever seem to make it into the update in a functional form. Why in the is it so difficult to add AC3, DLNA, and USB OTG support for external storage?

And again, deceiving thread title is deceiving.
    Sorry if thread deceived but there is a real (improved and fully working) USB OTG driver in there, just not enabled.
    04-17-12 11:33 AM
    Sorry if thread deceived but there is a real USB OTG driver in there, just not enabled.
    LOL, there are a lot of "real possibilities" for the PB, none of which seem to materialize I am tired of needing to hack my device in order to use it. Fundamental features should long be working now.
    DAnklaud and CDM76 like this.
    04-17-12 11:35 AM
    Sorry if thread deceived but there is a real (improved and fully working) USB OTG driver in there, just not enabled.
    Well, that's encouraging because what would be the point of installing the driver if they never plan to enable it. My guess is they are making us wait because there are issues that need to be resolved and/or RIM wants to get their own accessory adapter ready for market before they enable it.
    DAnklaud likes this.
    04-17-12 11:52 AM
    And I'll bet it'll be enabled soon...sorry, couldn't help myself. Hopefully in the 2.1 update.
    04-17-12 11:57 AM
    LOL, there are a lot of "real possibilities" for the PB, none of which seem to materialize I am tired of needing to hack my device in order to use it. Fundamental features should long be working now.
    I get that these features are fundamental to you, but I'm willing to bet that USB Host for mass storage devices may not even come. EXTERNAL MEDIA is a potential security "hole" for RIM. So it makes me laugh when people say "Yea, there's no MicroSD slot in the PlayBook because RIM wants your money" - that's bulls**t.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-17-12 12:05 PM
    Well, that's encouraging because what would be the point of installing the driver if they never plan to enable it. My guess is they are making us wait because there are issues that need to be resolved and/or RIM wants to get their own accessory adapter ready for market before they enable it.
    If that is the case I would put money on they want to make sure Mobile Fusion can disable the feature. So add the drive now for testing purposes.
    04-17-12 12:07 PM
    Using a Rectangular USB Micro A/B port AND all those drivers=HOST, so don't try to tell me there is no plans for HOST support including but not limited to Flash drives,, 'cause if its as you say then there is no reason for Using an A/B port, and they would have just used a micro b port and would not have bothered with the drivers (especially the drivers as it costs RIM money to have devs work on that , and why wast money?)
    04-17-12 12:13 PM
    Just to confirm, the adapter needed is female usb to micro usb correct?

Such as this ? New Black USB 2.0 A Female to USB Micro 5Pin Male Adapter Converter Connecter P | eBay

If so, I may buy one in anticipationnnnnnnnnnnnn
    04-17-12 12:15 PM
    I get that these features are fundamental to you, but I'm willing to bet that USB Host for mass storage devices may not even come. EXTERNAL MEDIA is a potential security "hole" for RIM. So it makes me laugh when people say "Yea, there's no MicroSD slot in the PlayBook because RIM wants your money" - that's bulls**t.
    Everything is a potential security hole. That is the biggest BS argument that anyone can pull as justification for missing features. If they are so concerned with security maybe they should have put out a tablet that has no ports except for a headphone jack, have it use a standard power adapter for charging, have it require hooking up to a physical Ethernet connection (no wireless 'cause it may be a security hole).

Now that I am done ranting, the argument makes no sense because WiFi sharing is very much alive and well on the PB. Therefore loading anything to the PB over the network is possible. It is not as though the PB somehow scans the files being loaded for security issues. There is ZERO reason for RIM not to enable USB OTG other than the fact that they do not seem to provide any features that most of the user want.

At the end of the day, maybe RIM's problem is naming the device PlayBook. Maybe they should have named it WorkBook, disabled any and all entertainment features, and just focused on making it an ultraportable document editing tool. Unfortunately it is neither now
    Last edited by dejanh; 04-17-12 at 12:18 PM.
    04-17-12 12:16 PM
133 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD