can I use my pb as a usb drive? there are instances when I would like files at work, but have a restrictive I.t policy and no internet access. currently I have to email them accross. when I plug in the pb it tries to install the software. is there any way to bypass this and just view it as a usb drive to browse files?

this would also be cool, as I have a usb in the car for music and to access the playbooks music would be a bonus. currently it tries to install the software into the car stereo...
    752se likes this.
    04-19-13 02:32 AM
    can I use my pb as a usb drive? there are instances when I would like files at work, but have a restrictive I.t policy and no internet access. currently I have to email them accross. when I plug in the pb it tries to install the software. is there any way to bypass this and just view it as a usb drive to browse files?

this would also be cool, as I have a usb in the car for music and to access the playbooks music would be a bonus. currently it tries to install the software into the car stereo...
    Well the computer always installs the drivers before my computer will recognize it, if you can't do that I don't know if it will work, but under storage & sharing in your settings enable file sharing and it should work, if you can connect to the network your work computer is on you can also enables wifi file sharing and set a static ip on the playbook, then type in your ip in explorer, map "media" as a network drive, and have access that way, if it's possible with your networks policies or whatever.
    04-19-13 02:43 AM
    thanks, I will have another play and let you guys know....

sent via Playbook and Tapatalk
    04-19-13 03:28 PM
    can I use my pb as a usb drive? there are instances when I would like files at work, but have a restrictive I.t policy and no internet access.
    Like your other respondent said, you have to let the drivers install in order to "see" the PlayBook.

For what it's worth, my company also has a very restrictive IT policy...they''ve even shut off USB drives and the DVD write. (It's for a good reason...we have personal data, or could see it if we have a reason...more policy...so it's a good thing.) That said, my PlayBook has no trouble providing or saving files from my workstation (I'm careful to omit personal data, though). Perhaps your company is similarly blind to the risk that PlayBook presents. (Then again, we also support employee-owned iPhones and Androids, one of which, I believe, will result in some company's release of confidential information, at which point we can all say "you should have used BlackBerrys", so maybe they're not as smart as they try to be.)
    04-19-13 06:41 PM
    Does anybody know how I could just store all my information on my micro sd?
    like apps and documents. basically im saying when I do anything on the z10 or
    sync the phone on link it automatically goes to the sd card?
    04-20-13 07:41 AM
    Does anybody know how I could just store all my information on my micro sd?
    like apps and documents. basically im saying when I do anything on the z10 or
    sync the phone on link it automatically goes to the sd card?
    If your question is on the z10 and not the Playbook, this is the wrong forum. But if pb related, the pb does not support any usb devices at the moment.
    04-20-13 09:59 AM
    If your question is on the z10 and not the Playbook, this is the wrong forum. But if pb related, the pb does not support any usb devices at the moment.
    The OP wasn't asking if the PB can support a USB drive, he was asking if the PB could be a USB drive...in other words, a flash drive, which of course it can...once the drivers for it are installed, if his company's IT policy allows it, on the host machine.
    04-20-13 01:09 PM
    The OP wasn't asking if the PB can support a USB drive, he was asking if the PB could be a USB drive...in other words, a flash drive, which of course it can...once the drivers for it are installed, if his company's IT policy allows it, on the host machine.
    Well that rather depends, when connected over USB the PlayBook isn't seen as a USB MSC device, you can't / don't eject it like you would with a normal USB flash drive.

It appears they use the drivers to wrap up the PlayBook storage like a SAMBA network connected / mapped drive, when connected by USB.
    04-20-13 01:58 PM
    Well that rather depends, when connected over USB the PlayBook isn't seen as a USB MSC device, you can't / don't eject it like you would with a normal USB flash drive.

It appears they use the drivers to wrap up the PlayBook storage like a SAMBA network connected / mapped drive, when connected by USB.

If I could interrupt this thread a bit - does the z10 also work liked a mapped drive? Does it also have wifi sharing like the pb?
    04-20-13 04:35 PM