10-05-12 12:58 PM
26 12
tools
    So this morning my 32 Gb Playbook was happily charging attached to my desktop via it's (official BB) micro USB cable.
    Next, I perform the OS 2.1.0.1032 update.

All looks well. The update completes and the Playbook reboots.

Immediately after the reboot I notice the Playbook is no longer charging.

Next, I reconnect the Playbook to a different USB port.

Immediately I get an error "Unable to charge battery with connected source"

I then plug the Playbook into multiple computers with two different micro USB cables.
    Same result !

Is anyone else seeing this problem ?

This appears to be directly related to this mornings OS update !
    10-03-12 02:14 PM
    Yes. That's been a "bug" since some of the prior updates. I would have thought they would have corrected that in the final release but my PB is still doing the same thing.
    10-03-12 02:21 PM
    I don't think it is a bug. It is more of a warning to tell you that your computers usb does not have enough current to correctly charge your PlayBook.

samson47, DC506 and propcpal like this.
    10-03-12 02:26 PM
    blackberry says they do not support charging over USB for the playbook. If you leave it plugged into the USB, and then check again later you will see it actually is charging regardless of the message. It's just very slow.
    propcpal likes this.
    10-03-12 02:38 PM
    That is correct it is not a bug. One should not expect a USB port to charge your PB. This warning was an added feature to let you know your USB port is not likely to charge adequately. If you turn wifi and bluetooth off thereby lowering the current you might find the USB port can keep up with the lower current demand the PB.
    10-03-12 02:38 PM
    USB charging works flawlessly... on my Galaxy tab...
    10-03-12 02:42 PM
    in the Battery Icon? If you still see it, then your PB should still be "trickle charging" as it has done before this update.

GRANTED, the PB was never designed to be charged thru the USB port (current issues, we all know of), but it does work in a pinch.

I haven't done the update YET, waiting to see what happens to the rest of you folks ( I know, I should just do it also, but after the .668 issue.....)

Just check about every couple of hours and see the battery charge go up (SLOWLY, but up). It should still charge.

C
    propcpal likes this.
    10-03-12 02:44 PM
    That's been a "bug" since beta 0.840. I quoted bug because according to most people it's not a bug and it works as intended. Although I was always able to charge my PB quickly enough through USB... until that stupid beta. Now it does charge when connected through USB, but it's painfully slow and barely worth it.
    10-03-12 02:50 PM
    That is correct it is not a bug. One should not expect a USB port to charge your PB. This warning was an added feature to let you know your USB port is not likely to charge adequately. If you turn wifi and bluetooth off thereby lowering the current you might find the USB port can keep up with the lower current demand the PB.
    Thanks Guys !

..indeed charging via USB was always painfully slow

..just getting the warning message was confusing

..but makes sense I suppose

..great new feature
    10-03-12 02:57 PM
    Simply put, your desktop's USB 2.0 "host" port is designed to output no more than 500mA at five volts. That's 2.5 watts---which is less than a typical PlayBook consumes while running (mine is currently using 3.4W). Thus my wall charger needs to supply more than 3.4W to do any actual charging at all. The blue USB 3.0 host ports can handle up to 900mA, or 4.5W, so you might try that.

If USB host port charging is a must, reducing the screen brightness will help a lot, as will only charging the PB while it is off.

Inferior tablets that don't monitor charge current and supposedly "work flawlessly" when charging via USB may be damaging the host port by exceeding its current limit.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 10-03-12 at 03:14 PM.
    thatplaybookguy and modine like this.
    10-03-12 02:58 PM
    Okay with dugggggg
    Also be sure you're not using an usb hub, it will share power between ports.
    10-03-12 03:21 PM
    then why are you being a troll here? your tab not giving you all the features you want and you have to come in here and see what you really should have bought in the first place. Epic Fail!
    10-03-12 03:25 PM
    Anyone no longer able to connect via USB using Windows Explorer and are now forced to run Desktop Manager first in order to get prompted to connect?
    10-03-12 03:50 PM
    Just tried, wifi - pb available. Usb - pb available. It did take a few before messages about drive x. DM 2.1 bundle 1032.

Edit: got the can not charge message and battery has no charging or plug icon on it.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 10-03-12 at 04:42 PM.
    10-03-12 04:36 PM
    It will charge on USB no matter the warning. But it will take a long time to and you better not use the device if you expect it to get any power. Make sure it's not a hub port, or it will be even slower.

This isn't news, it's been so since last beta.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-03-12 06:00 PM
    on my PB it NEVER was able to charge my PB ever since I had it...it always gave me that warning....
    10-03-12 06:16 PM
    I encountered this today too for the first time having moved to 1032. It's just slightly annoying having to clear that warning notification despite the fact that it is, slowly, charging.
    10-04-12 03:35 PM
    USB charging works exactly the same way on a Galaxy Tab as it does on every other device. Slowly, 0.5A at 5V.
    10-05-12 04:37 AM
    So are you saying that even if I dont see charging icon (on battery status) it is charging but slowly? Because before I upgraded to newest OS, I always had the charging icon when connected to computer via USB.

I have to say, that if it is true and after latest OS upgrade PB is not charging (even slowly, it doesnt matter) via USB this is IMHO stupid. decision. For example few minutes ago, I came back to the office after a long meeting, my battery is on 10 percent and it would be really great to charge it a little or at least to stop discharging. Everyone of us know that PB is not the best device regarding power consumption, so every possible way to charge it during the day is good.

I am really not happy if this means, that from now I have to take charger with me.

This is really "great" idea from RIM
    10-05-12 09:18 AM
    I have the same problem. What a shame.

So this morning my 32 Gb Playbook was happily charging attached to my desktop via it's (official BB) micro USB cable.
    Next, I perform the OS 2.1.0.1032 update.

All looks well. The update completes and the Playbook reboots.

Immediately after the reboot I notice the Playbook is no longer charging.

Next, I reconnect the Playbook to a different USB port.

Immediately I get an error "Unable to charge battery with connected source"

I then plug the Playbook into multiple computers with two different micro USB cables.
    Same result !

Is anyone else seeing this problem ?

This appears to be directly related to this morning’s OS update !
    10-05-12 11:03 AM
    It isn't a "shame". The warning is simply telling you that your USB port cannot safely provide enough current to operate your PlayBook AND charge the battery at the same time.

Using Battery Guru, I can confirm that, even with the warning, the port is providing the rated current---so there is some assistance to the battery while the PB is in use. In other words, the battery is being drawn down less. But it is definitely NOT charging. However, once the PB enters standby, there is enough available port current to charge the battery.

I was very disappointed to find that using a USB 3.0 port did not provide any improvement over a 2.0 port. This is definitely a bug.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 10-05-12 at 12:50 PM.
    10-05-12 11:26 AM
    So are you saying that even if I dont see charging icon (on battery status) it is charging but slowly? Because before I upgraded to newest OS, I always had the charging icon when connected to computer via USB.
    Correct, it is still charging despite the PB complaining AND that the battery icon does not show the old AC plug overlay on top.

So we're not losing the ability to slow charge it just comes with a notification to clear in the top left hand corner. Just use that as your indicator that it's charging instead
    10-05-12 12:08 PM
    Mine gave the same message. However once I shut down the Blackberry Device applet in Windows it charged as per normal

As an aside, I have one of these

Black 5200mAh External Battery Portable Pack Power Charger for iPad iPhone HTC | eBay

as my Playbook and my Nokia N8 have the same usb connector it charges both with its built in cable
    10-05-12 12:22 PM
    I found this in the PB manual:

"CAUTION: Charge your BlackBerry PlayBook using the BlackBerry Premium Charger provided by RIM in the box that your
    tablet came in. Other charging cords may not provide adequate power and may damage your tablet. Also, you cannot
    charge your tablet using a USB cord connected to a computer.
    "
    10-05-12 12:35 PM
    One thing is to be a fan, even a huge fan, of a product and quite another to choose to ignore these issues. I call it denial.

I was able to charge my PB via USB just fine before OS 2.1. After OS 2.1 it is no longer possible, in the same port, with the same cable, after about 20 restarts.

It isn't a "shame". The warning is simply telling you that your USB port cannot safely provide enough current to operate your PlayBook AND charge the battery at the same time.

Using Battery Guru, I can confirm that, even with the warning, the port is providing the rated current---so there is some assistance to the battery. In other words, the battery is being drawn down less. But it is definitely NOT charging.

I was very disappointed to find that using a USB 3.0 port did not provide any improvement over a 2.0 port. This is definitely a bug.
    10-05-12 12:36 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD