Forgive me if this topic has been raised before, but I am new to this forum. I purchased a Playbook online at the beginning of this year.
    After about 3 months of very limited use the playbook would not charge. Our local computer shop sent it to a repairer, who returned it with a written statement that the playbook usb charging point was recognised as being mechanically unstable from new.

3 months later the same fault occurred. Lengthy phone conversations with Blackberry in Aachen followed and I was requested to return the
    playbook for inspection. A day later I got a phone call saying the charging point was damaged, and was told I would have to pay for repair - again!

Is there a recognised fault inherent in the playbook usb charging point? ( in which case it would seem to me that Blackberry should replace free of charge ) Has anyone else had this problem.

Regards

colinwillsher
    07-28-13 09:34 AM
    It's known to be easily damaged if you try to insert the USB or charging cable in the wrong way.
    07-28-13 09:45 AM
    In my family we have 5 playbooks and have never had any trouble with any of them.
    07-28-13 10:01 AM
    As Pacoman suggests, the usb port can UNfortunately accidentally accommodate a micro-usb plug UPSIDEDOWN. The port was designed to accommodate a usb-on-the-go plug which is more squarish. If you look at the port and compare it to a normal micro-usb port (on a bb phone for instance) you will notice the shape difference.

The board or connector in the port can be bent or pushed out of position if the plug is inserted in the wrong direction. Many of us have taken to mark the plug's UPPER side with a white or colored dot of nail polish or similar so it is easy to identify. And usb labels or logos are not standard so those cannot be trusted for orientation.

Another option is to get one of the rapid chargers which use the 3-pin connector and avoids using the more fragile usb port other than for data transfer.
    07-28-13 10:19 AM
    I just got a rapid charger on Amazon for about $15. It has the 3 pin magnetic connection.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-28-13 01:13 PM
    If it is known that the design of the charging point makes it possible for the charger to be wrongly inserted, which then damages the USB socket, then surely Blackberry should not be continuing to sell the Playbook with such an inherent fault. And if consequently the charger is inserted upside down ( without it being forced into the socket, which I am certain did not happen ) and the socket accepts the charger, but is then damaged beyond repair, shouldn't Blackberry accept responsibility for the situation, since clearly if the socket/ charger had been properly designed in the first place so that it was impossible to insert it wrongly ( which I feel it is reasonable for someone buying a Playbook to expect ) the damage would never occur.

To me it seems so unfair that having spent 130 to buy the tablet, then another 90 to get it repaired the first time, I have to pay Blackberry presumably another 90 to repair it this time, when Blackberry knew that this fault existed.

colinwillsher

ps does anyone have an email address for Thorsten Heins?
    07-29-13 08:49 AM
    As Pacoman suggests, the usb port can UNfortunately accidentally accommodate a micro-usb plug UPSIDEDOWN. The port was designed to accommodate a usb-on-the-go plug which is more squarish. If you look at the port and compare it to a normal micro-usb port (on a bb phone for instance) you will notice the shape difference.

The board or connector in the port can be bent or pushed out of position if the plug is inserted in the wrong direction. Many of us have taken to mark the plug's UPPER side with a white or colored dot of nail polish or similar so it is easy to identify. And usb labels or logos are not standard so those cannot be trusted for orientation.

Another option is to get one of the rapid chargers which use the 3-pin connector and avoids using the more fragile usb port other than for data transfer.
    I didn't know that, thanks. I pooched my USB connector, probably because it wasn't a standard micro-USB.

Anyway, I got the dock and it charges faster. OP, if you can get your hands on one (try Amazon), it's better. You can still connect the PlayBook to your computer via WiFi so the USB is moot. Don't spend the money on repair is my advice.

EDIT: to connect wirelessly, put the PlayBook in development mode. On the homescreen, note the IP address under development mode. If you're in windows go to "Run" and in the command line enter the IP address. EG. \\192.168.XXX.XXX and hit Enter. Should pop up a Windows Explorer window and you can transfer via that method.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-01-13 04:26 PM
    Forgive me if this topic has been raised before, but I am new to this forum. I purchased a Playbook online at the beginning of this year.
    After about 3 months of very limited use the playbook would not charge. Our local computer shop sent it to a repairer, who returned it with a written statement that the playbook usb charging point was recognised as being mechanically unstable from new.

3 months later the same fault occurred. Lengthy phone conversations with Blackberry in Aachen followed and I was requested to return the
    playbook for inspection. A day later I got a phone call saying the charging point was damaged, and was told I would have to pay for repair - again!

Is there a recognised fault inherent in the playbook usb charging point? ( in which case it would seem to me that Blackberry should replace free of charge ) Has anyone else had this problem.

Regards

colinwillsher
    what I did to ensure I never insert my charger upside down is mark the top side ofnthe micro usb connector with my wifes bright red nail polish so its a no go unless I see red. all my chargers are marked this way.....I'm pretty anal about taking care of my tech.
    Chrysalis1156 likes this.
    08-01-13 04:54 PM
    If it is known that the design of the charging point makes it possible for the charger to be wrongly inserted, which then damages the USB socket, then surely Blackberry should not be continuing to sell the Playbook with such an inherent fault. And if consequently the charger is inserted upside down ( without it being forced into the socket, which I am certain did not happen ) and the socket accepts the charger, but is then damaged beyond repair, shouldn't Blackberry accept responsibility for the situation, since clearly if the socket/ charger had been properly designed in the first place so that it was impossible to insert it wrongly ( which I feel it is reasonable for someone buying a Playbook to expect ) the damage would never occur.

To me it seems so unfair that having spent 130 to buy the tablet, then another 90 to get it repaired the first time, I have to pay Blackberry presumably another 90 to repair it this time, when Blackberry knew that this fault existed.

colinwillsher

The manual states for the folding blade charger furnished with the tablet that the chargher should be inserted with the Blackberry symbol up that is as you face the screen. The HP Touchpad usb plugin charger also inserts upside down but HP put a large round, shiny chrome dot on the side that is supposed to be up as you insert it. Agree that Blackberry did not emphasize this point enough in their startup instructions. Blackberry probably does not regard this as a design fault since the type a female micro usb connector port that was used, presumably to allow OTG to be supported at some future time which has not as yet arrived, was used in other devices also. Now it seems that OTG does not require this type port since the first generation Nexus 7 has OTG with a trapezoidal port.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-01-13 04:59 PM
    If it is known that the design of the charging point makes it possible for the charger to be wrongly inserted, which then damages the USB socket, then surely Blackberry should not be continuing to sell the Playbook with such an inherent fault. ....

Have no fear, Blackberry have stopped selling them! All their inventory has been successfully palmed off.

Mailto spineless.****@blackberry.com
    FF22 and Chrysalis1156 like this.
    08-01-13 05:19 PM