Simple question, is there any difference (apart from the yellow end) between the charger that's supplied with the Playbook and the charger that was supplied with my Curve?
    09-30-12 04:39 AM
    Simple question, is there any difference (apart from the yellow end) between the charger that's supplied with the Playbook and the charger that was supplied with my Curve?
    Well,
    There should be a difference... My PB charger is able to deliver a current of 2 A (at 5V) while my Bold's (9900) charger will only allow about 0.5 A. Use a magnifying glass and carefully read what's printed on the charger.
    malcymalc likes this.
    09-30-12 05:13 AM
    Basically what he said. You can use your curves charger to charge the PB, but it will take significantly longer due to the lower amperage(probably wont charge if your using the PB, it will supply just enough juice to keep it at a constant level). Also you can use your PB's charger to "rapidly" charge your phone due to the higher amperage.
    malcymalc likes this.
    09-30-12 05:44 AM
    Also the PB charger has in some cases brought otherwise dead blackberrys back to life...the case where the phone had blinking red light and such.
    malcymalc likes this.
    09-30-12 06:03 AM
    The standard playbook charger is sold as a bb phone premium charger too.
    malcymalc likes this.
    09-30-12 07:08 AM
    Well,
    There should be a difference... My PB charger is able to deliver a current of 2 A (at 5V) while my Bold's (9900) charger will only allow about 0.5 A. Use a magnifying glass and carefully read what's printed on the charger.
    Wow! Lucky you!
    I got the 1.5A charger for the PB. That's why I bought the Charging Pod to charge my PB faster (2A) while at the office.
    09-30-12 01:27 PM
    Wow! Lucky you!
    I got the 1.5A charger for the PB. That's why I bought the Charging Pod to charge my PB faster (2A) while at the office.
    The North American chargers are a bit different than the international chargers. I have one of each. The North American is rated 1.8a @5v, but I can't remember what the red tipped international charger is rated, maybe 2a.

The charging base is 2a at 12v, so considerably more watts. E=I/R
    09-30-12 01:55 PM
    What 2 amps @ 12 volts !! That would be 24 watts. And where did these numbers come from? The rapid travel charger which also uses the pogo pins can charge as high as close to ten watts in the early stages of charging but the playbook throttles back the rate in the later stages. Suspect that the dock charger is about the same and has an output of about 5 volts and 2400 amps.
    09-30-12 02:24 PM
    E=I/R
    That's E = I�R
    09-30-12 03:03 PM
    What 2 amps @ 12 volts !! That would be 24 watts. And where did these numbers come from? The rapid travel charger which also uses the pogo pins can charge as high as close to ten watts in the early stages of charging but the playbook throttles back the rate in the later stages. Suspect that the dock charger is about the same and has an output of about 5 volts and 2400 amps.
    Some people assume that the chargers and PlayBook battery simply follow Ohm's law in a simplistic fashion, as in if the charger can supply X watts, then that much will get shoved down the battery's throat.

In reality, the rapid chargers will still charge the batteries at only about 10W maximum, though they can at the same time supply a substantial amount of power (probably close to the remaining 14W) to run the PlayBook functions at the same time. As I recall, I was once able to get the PlayBook consuming over 6W while it charged at 9.5W or so, though I didn't feel like continuing that for long since it was getting pretty hot and I'm paranoid.

The point is, the battery will accept whatever power the PlayBook allows it to accept, which is considerably less than the 24W the rapid charger is capable of providing.
    09-30-12 06:18 PM
    Milliamp rating... You need higher mA for Playbook than your Curve. Generally the higher the mA the faster it charges.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    09-30-12 07:47 PM
    Ohms law certainly applies across any resistor, playbook or otherwise, but those clever devils, the EEs, devise circuits which prevent us from shoving too much current through the battery. My point was the 12 volts. Did check Amazon and they do say 12 v and 2 amps and that at least one version of the stand could be used with a car charger. Thus I wonder if the 12v and 2 amp refers to input. The rapid travel charger can charge at almost 9.6 watts which figures to about 2.4 amps while at the same time running at three or so operating watts. If Peter says you can go much higher who am I to dispute. If 6.5 additional operating watts was getting the PB hot at 11 you would be smoking. The voltage at the PB entrance is still probably about 5 volts. A question I have asked before is whether the PB would allow an external battery to start it up or at least put more charge into the depleted battery.
    10-01-12 12:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD