I have two iPad USB Car chargers but they will not charge my spanking new 64gb PB.
    Will I have to buy another charger with different voltage in order to charge this machine?
    Thanks for any help
    01-27-12 07:47 PM
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I have tried a number of car chargers, so far this is the only one I found that works. It is on eBay. It pushes 2 A. There are other cheaper ones that do not really produce 2 A. I bought two of these and they work fine.
    01-27-12 10:21 PM
    You may need a charge only cable. AT&T sells them for the phones, but will also work with the playbook. It is a usb cable with power connections only and the data lines terminated.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    01-27-12 10:30 PM
    I really should get out to the car with my various 'car' chargers and usb cables AND my AT&T charging cable and see what I can discern. Some of the chargers have fixed wires while a few have the usb connector on the "plug end" allowing a choice of usb cables including the AT&T one. If I recall, the one I got from Verizon for my 8830 (mini-usb) on which I've attached an adapter to make it micro for my Tour/Bold may have worked briefly but I don't recall.
    Last edited by F2; 01-27-12 at 11:35 PM.
    01-27-12 11:32 PM
    I'm using the mini USB cable that came with the playbook and a USB car charger that works with the iPad. If I plug it into a computer will it charge that way?
    01-28-12 10:46 AM
    I am always wary charging things in the car. I never have anything plugged in while starting or turning off the engine. The cigarette lighter doesn't seem like a very stable power supply. I also have a dedicated power outlet but it's on the same circuit as the cigarette lighter.
    Does anyone know if I have a valid concern? Is there something in a more expensive car charger like a voltage stabilizer that wouldn't be in a cheap one?
    01-28-12 10:57 AM
    I have found this one takes care of all types of devices while in the car for me ....

Amazon.com: Wagan EL2537-5 Twin USB and 12-Volt DC Cup Holder Power Adapter: Automotive
    TooManyClowns and SunnyFL like this.
    01-28-12 12:29 PM
    the blackberry car charger i got for my curve 9300 charges the playbook just fine.
    01-28-12 12:34 PM
    An old Motorola that I had gotten for my wife's RAZR back in 2006 served me well with the 9000, and then with a mini to micro adapter, the 9800 and now the 9810. However, it doesn't charge the PB from what I can see -- I just get a plug icon instead of the lightning bolt icon. I have so many car chargers floating around, I really don't want to have to buy yet another . . . .
    01-31-12 06:41 AM
    I have found this one takes care of all types of devices while in the car for me ....

Amazon.com: Wagan EL2537-5 Twin USB and 12-Volt DC Cup Holder Power Adapter: Automotive
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thanks much!
    Just placed order for one...
    01-31-12 06:58 AM
    I do it the "brutal" way, fed up with all the incompatibilities I met for my camrecorder, camera, playbook,, laptop, 3DS ... and more.
    Finally, the best way is ... a 12V dc-> 220 V ac (Europe) transformer like this one :
    Convertisseur 12v-220v 400 Watts Ecologie-Shop - RueDuCommerce (sorry, in french + WARNING this is 220 Volts for Europe).
    I plugged it into on of my (hidden) cigarette lighter power socket, secured it under the passenger seat ... and that's it. Now I use whatever fast charger I want ...

Notes :
    - specifically designed for car models can "absorb" the peak of power some cars may produce when turning on/off the engine; I'll suggest you check this point prior to order one.
    - Lucky me, my car infotainement system can be setup to maintain auxilliary power on for a specific time; this means I can even let my device charge (properly hidden !) when I leave the car AND not worrying about my car battery to be flushed !
    01-31-12 07:11 AM
    I do it the "brutal" way, fed up with all the incompatibilities I met for my camrecorder, camera, playbook,, laptop, 3DS ... and more.
    Finally, the best way is ... a 12V dc-> 220 V ac (Europe) transformer like this one :
    Convertisseur 12v-220v 400 Watts Ecologie-Shop - RueDuCommerce (sorry, in french + WARNING this is 220 Volts for Europe).
    I plugged it into on of my (hidden) cigarette lighter power socket, secured it under the passenger seat ... and that's it. Now I use whatever fast charger I want ...

Notes :
    - specifically designed for car models can "absorb" the peak of power some cars may produce when turning on/off the engine; I'll suggest you check this point prior to order one.
    - Lucky me, my car infotainement system can be setup to maintain auxilliary power on for a specific time; this means I can even let my device charge (properly hidden !) when I leave the car AND not worrying about my car battery to be flushed !
    A quick google found these at Walmart (no political analysis was performed!):

Power Inverters, AC Converters, Digital Inverters - Walmart.com
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-31-12 09:14 AM
    You've probably already found a solution to your problem as this is an older post but for new people reading this trying to find a solution this is how you can make a USB car charger work for BlackBerry playbook.
    BlackBerry design their chargers with the data positive and the data negative pins on the USB connector shorted together. When these two pins are shorted together and you have the right voltage the unit will charge.If you're dealing with a 12 V adapter that has a female USB connector on it you will need to open it up and if you have access then to the backside of the pins on the USB receptacle, solder a jumper between the two middle pins. You will also need to make sure that the USB to mini USB cable is not just a charge only cable so the data+ and data- connectors actually make their way to the device as charge only cables have only two wires, the positive and the negative which are connected to pin number 1 and 4 of the USB connector.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    10-21-12 10:52 PM
    The BB premium car charger. It will charge your PlayBook and has an extra usb output for another device. Works great. Check the CrackBerry Store.
    10-22-12 12:16 AM
    Here's a list of car chargers that are being sold as being compatible with the First generation BlackBerry RIM PlayBook (1GHZ) (Production date 01-2011, thru ? -2013 +/-):

Browse BlackBerry PlayBook Car Chargers | ShopCrackBerry
    11-13-12 06:17 PM
    I got this one off Amazon and it works beautifully. I think this was the third charger I bought that was 2 a but only this one worked. I believe it was manufactured for PlayBook back when PlayBook 3g+ was supposed to be released through sprint. As I said it works great for the Playbook and also rapidly charges my phones.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Vehicle-Sprint-BlackBerry-PlayBook/dp/B006U0BHI8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1352853466&sr=8-6&keywords=PlayBook+car+charger
    11-13-12 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD