Thor will save us!!!
    He needs a cape.....and 70's era theme music. With a sidekick(every super hero has one) named "Bud". :screwy:

sent from my sexy PlayBook using Tapatalk2 (*_~)
    02-11-13 12:56 PM
    I'm definitely not getting screwed. I got my 1st PB 5 months after release and after much research. I knew what I was getting and I never buy on rumors. I haven't had to "wait" on wifi or battery fixes because I've never had issues with them. I travel quite a bit and have been on a number of wifi networks with no issues except for one airport last year. Nor have we had those problems with the several PBs we have at work. I'm not waiting on anything right now. The PB works great for me, my wife, my daughter and my company, NOW. I'm sure BB10 will come, as it's already being run on a number of dev PBs now but I'm not waiting on it, I don't need it. But when it comes, I'll try it. I've got a working PB now and too many other things going on to worry about or speculate on BB10.
    That is great for you, your, wife and your daughter and your company. I really wish me and some of the other owners that have had problems had the same experience as you. Wifi and battery issues has nothing to do with RUMORS that is pretty basic. We all have different needs and expectations for our playbook. If what you say is true and you have had no problems with playbook experience more power too you.
    02-11-13 01:14 PM
    I bought first day but still don't feel as though I was screwed.
    The native email stuff was quite a fiasco but I don't use it. The Skype icon in the ads might have been a bummer for some but again I never use it.
    I have gotten a lot of use out of this tablet for the last two years. 441 recharge cycles.
    To be blunt, speak for yourself.
    HUH? So you name a FEW of the things that playbook owners can be upset about but brush it off because YOU don't use it? Guess what that is important for some people!! So you didn't buy the playbook for apps you saw on marketing materials or native email.....so I'm curious....what did you buy it for on the first day?....if you really did..because for $600 dollars what were your expectations
    TroubleTrouble likes this.
    02-11-13 01:21 PM
    I only got my PB at Christmas so I am not as desperate as some on here for an update. From reading posts on this thread and many others it seems to me that people expect too much from BB. How many of you have bought a laptop with Windows 7 on it? Have MS upgraded you to windows 8? No they want you to pay for it. My opinion is BB have said it will be released this year so, when it is released I'll be happy and I may have learnt a lot more about my PB by then. Thanks to all the posters who give tips to us newbies who have made the switch to an awesome piece of kit for the price.
    02-11-13 01:33 PM
    I paid $700 on day one and have gotten exactly what I expected. The issue I have now is with the lost bridge functionality that comes with Z10. I'm dying to upgrade from my Storm II, but I LOVE the way bridge functions with it. Just a concern, not a show stopper....

Hoot

Oh, I've never used native email either, but if you want a Z or Q10, we'd better learn it and get used to it. At least for a while, eh?
    02-11-13 01:35 PM
    I only got my PB at Christmas so I am not as desperate as some on here for an update. From reading posts on this thread and many others it seems to me that people expect too much from BB. How many of you have bought a laptop with Windows 7 on it? Have MS upgraded you to windows 8? No they want you to pay for it. My opinion is BB have said it will be released this year so, when it is released I'll be happy and I may have learnt a lot more about my PB by then. Thanks to all the posters who give tips to us newbies who have made the switch to an awesome piece of kit for the price.
    First off thanks for your response. Once again your perspective of the situation is different. NOT WRONG just different. You just bought your playbook. Probably at a heavy discount. So you have not gone thru being told of the improvements coming to playbook and "just wait" and "later this year" for almost two years now. Your logic on windows 7 comparing to playbook is wrong. For one I am personally am still having spotty wifi problems with my playbook on daily basis. And if you read other forums and comments still to this day others are also. Also to go back to your MS reference....If MS TOLD YOU you will be getting windows 8 upgrade you would expect it...also with a date or ANY time frame that they will stick to. Once again thanks for your response.
    02-11-13 01:43 PM
    HUH? So you name a FEW of the things that playbook owners can be upset about but brush it off because YOU don't use it? Guess what that is important for some people!! So you didn't buy the playbook for apps you saw on marketing materials or native email.....so I'm curious....what did you buy it for on the first day?....if you really did..because for $600 dollars what were your expectations
    I was speaking for myself. Explaining why I don't feel ripped off.
    Believe me, I really did buy it first day. I bought it for the shared connection. I had never owned a tablet at the time so I had no expectations really. Since then I have test driven a few.
    02-11-13 02:32 PM
    Honestly some of these new games for Z10 should be available for PLAYBOOK too. I feel a little screwed over in that sense. Maybe they will come to the PLAYBOOK ...soon...

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    02-11-13 02:35 PM
    First off thanks for your response. Once again your perspective of the situation is different. NOT WRONG just different. You just bought your playbook. Probably at a heavy discount. So you have not gone thru being told of the improvements coming to playbook and "just wait" and "later this year" for almost two years now.
    I'm in the same boat as well. I'm not in the batch that bought into the initial 700,000 that were shipped with the intention of being sold at $500 and up. I was in the batch that got some of those at a discounted price. I bought mine Christmas 2011 at a killer price, and 2.0 came out in 60 days. I have many relatives and friends who also bought discounted PlayBooks from the subsequent 1.3 million that RIM sold at a discounted price.

All relative, though I would be pissed if I was in your shoes. I bought it knowing Email was coming. Games I like HAD started to appear. And I got a great sized model for an wicked price
    02-11-13 04:04 PM
    Sorry but can't we agree that Blackberry should either confirm or deny that BB10 is coming to all or some models of the Playbook ? Why can't BB be honest and upfront about it. Currently somewhere in the world there may be a Playbook in stock that someone is buying because they think BB10 was promised.
    02-11-13 04:20 PM
    Sorry but can't we agree that Blackberry should either confirm or deny that BB10 is coming to all or some models of the Playbook ? Why can't BB be honest and upfront about it. Currently somewhere in the world there may be a Playbook in stock that someone is buying because they think BB10 was promised.
    They have!
    Thorsten Heins Confirms That All Existing PlayBook Tablets Will Get BlackBerry 10 Software Updates - BerryReview
    Thorsten Heins: "BlackBerry plans upgrade all devices PlayBook to BB10" - Blackberry 10 News
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...rry-10-update/
    http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...o-bb10-1128459
    02-11-13 04:25 PM
    Rubberchicken76 thanks for this response and also your other post a few behind. I'm glad you can see where some of the day 1 owners of the playbook frustration is coming from. Now regarding your last post I have seen these articles in last few weeks. To be honest...just me personally...I became even more frustrated with the way everything came about. So we have our big launch party and playbook is glazed across. Now I have to wait till reporters ask Heins about the playbook and his answer is I quote "Our PLAN is for upgrade all machines PlayBook to BB10." So is that the PLAN or our we getting upgrades?!?!?!?! Instead of saying "Playbook will be receiving upgrades" smh. I am just confused because I thought the delay till this year was to make sure everything was at least somewhat ready to go. Like I said before I could be wrong but I started this forum just for opinions. Thanks for your insight RubberChicken76
    02-11-13 05:20 PM
    OK Rubber Chicken I believe ... or at least I want to believe .. very hopeful .. too good to be true ... low on the totem pole ... wont hold my breath. Stage one as of today !
    02-11-13 06:56 PM
    Part of the problem is that ANY time they say something, it is parsed down word by word and scrutinized for what may be hidden meaning or intentional deception. If they mention a rough date, people freak out and count the minutes that it was late with vile contempt, even if it's only a timezone difference.

It's not like making a pie. There's not a set baking time. Issues arise as you move forward that can't always be foreseen and it is therefore, hard to set a date. A project I'm working on right now is a good example. Moving 2TB of data to storage. The first 40% moved quickly but the remaining 60% contained so many small files that it has taken 5 times as long and we are still not done...
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-11-13 08:24 PM
    Part of the problem is that ANY time they say something, it is parsed down word by word and scrutinized for what may be hidden meaning or intentional deception. If they mention a rough date, people freak out and count the minutes that it was late with vile contempt, even if it's only a timezone difference.

It's not like making a pie. There's not a set baking time. Issues arise as you move forward that can't always be foreseen and it is therefore, hard to set a date. A project I'm working on right now is a good example. Moving 2TB of data to storage. The first 40% moved quickly but the remaining 60% contained so many small files that it has taken 5 times as long and we are still not done...
    TheScionicMan thanks for input in the matter. I read your post and I sort of understand what your trying to say but to be honest I can't agree. Comparing Blackberry to a project you are working on in my opinion is not fair and not valid. Blackberry is a multi billion dollar company. There needs to be DEADLINES and DATES met. This also isn't blackberries first rodeo. In the business world EVERYTHING is parsed down word for word and scrutinized. I'm not saying if its fair or not it just is. Especially in blackberry case when all of us loyal bb users have seen due dates come and go MULTIPLE times. And more importantly replaced by more "its coming" and "just wait a little longer". Just my opinion..and once again thanks for your insight on the matter
    02-11-13 08:58 PM
    I think an update will come, but I wonder, why does everyone want it so much? If the current OS isn't satisying you, why didn't you return the PB? If the current OS is satisfying you, aren't you afraid BB10 might remove some of what you loved about QNX? I wonder how much of this is the "Cult of the new" phenomenon. Historically, these circumstances lead to the launch of a new piece of hardware, with the failed device getting a barely working, un-optimized version of the new software that is then fully featured in the new hardware. Grandfathering people in off a de facto paid beta is wrong, but I think that is what happened here. RIM has no interest in Playbook owners in my opinion. They have no financial incentive to.
    02-12-13 12:34 AM
    Grandfathering people in off a de facto paid beta is wrong, but I think that is what happened here. RIM has no interest in Playbook owners in my opinion. They have no financial incentive to.
    I have a bad feeling that's what will happen with the PB - Blackberry will do a half-baked job porting BB10 to it while a new tablet would get the full fat BB10 experience. The PB has always been an interim solution while RIM/Blackberry tried to sort itself out amid the Apple and Android onslaught. They used the Playbook to trial QNX and use that experience to develop BB10 for their main market - mobile phones. They're probably still not sure about entering the tablet market against much more established rivals, when even Microsoft has trouble pushing its Surface lineup.

I just want Qt/Qml and Cascades from BB10 for the Playbook for easy development. That shouldn't take too much RAM. As it is, it's a pain to compile Qt for each new app and make do without system-specific widget styles.
    02-12-13 12:58 AM
    I think an update will come, but I wonder, why does everyone want it so much? If the current OS isn't satisying you, why didn't you return the PB? If the current OS is satisfying you, aren't you afraid BB10 might remove some of what you loved about QNX? I wonder how much of this is the "Cult of the new" phenomenon. Historically, these circumstances lead to the launch of a new piece of hardware, with the failed device getting a barely working, un-optimized version of the new software that is then fully featured in the new hardware. Grandfathering people in off a de facto paid beta is wrong, but I think that is what happened here. RIM has no interest in Playbook owners in my opinion. They have no financial incentive to.
    Anjohl thanks for your post. But I must ask you have you read ANY of this forum? A lot of playbook owners are since launch owners (April 2011) that have been strung along with promises of a bright future for playbook from blackberry since day one. That's where some of the frustration stems from. That would be almost two years. I don't know where you are from but after 2 years I'm not sure where you would like us to "return" them too that's giving refunds lol. Hindsight is 20 20. Its easy for you to sit back now and go "Um why didn't you return your playbooks". Obviously Blackberry didn't launch and say "Hey playbook owners we gonna see what you can do. Actually if it don't work out we pretty much will stop mentioning anything about it until someone ask". You didn't mention in your post if you actually own a playbook or not....but if you did since April 2011...you might see a little where some people are coming from. Once again thanks for you post. And this is just my opinion...and if you read thru the forum a few others also
    02-12-13 02:43 AM
    If RIM had been honest about the Playbook from the beginning and acknowledged it was always going to be a work in progress, then those first buyers wouldn't be so angry today. Or not as angry

Nokia did that with its Maemo and Meego devices. Buyers knew they were getting bleeding-edge stuff with no real support behind them but a hacker community built up behind those devices, adding and fixing stuff that Nokia didn't bother to deal with. The problem with the Playbook is that it was marketed as a productivity tool to go along with Blackberry phones. A productivity tool isn't a beta test device, you expect the darn thing to work out of the box, and you sure as heck don't expect to be strung along by features promised two years after release. RIM could have a hard slog trying to convince disgruntled Playbook users why they should upgrade to BB10 phones which would break functionality with their tablets.

Anyone know what issues are holding back BB10 for PB? Chipset related stuff porting from the Z10's Qualcomm SnapDragon to the older OMAP architecture on the PB?
    Uncle Remus and bb4life21 like this.
    02-12-13 03:43 AM
    Hi. I will like to start off by saying I'm the biggest blackberry fan ever. I have only owed blackberries the last 8 years and plan on continuing that in the future. But I must say I am getting very frustrated with the lack of support and information about the future of the PlayBook. Already for bb fans who purchased z10s do not have bridge capabilities. And to make it worst bb is being hush on when or if bb10 will even make it to playbook. It is already frustrating dealing with daily wifi problems from my playbook but now I'm worried we will be left behind with this new wave of things coming up. I even been hearing that playbook doesn't even have the capabilities to run bb10 smh. I was just wondering what other playbook owners were thinking.
    The "biggest fan"...already frustrated when this is normal ops for RIM/BB, and 25 posts in the forums......yeah, the biggest fan. Just wait and we may see some updates. If we get BB10 it will be a diff version than what is running on the Z10.
    02-12-13 04:38 AM
    The "biggest fan"... and 25 posts in the forums......yeah, the biggest fan.
    Odd how you think being a huge fan of something is related to the number of posts on a forum - very odd.
    02-12-13 05:01 AM
    Anyone know what issues are holding back BB10 for PB? Chipset related stuff porting from the Z10's Qualcomm SnapDragon to the older OMAP architecture on the PB?
    People keep assuming technical limits will impede BB10. How do any of you know what the minimum system requirements are or arent for BlackBerry 10 ...?
    02-12-13 05:21 AM
    People keep assuming technical limits will impede BB10. How do any of you know what the minimum system requirements are or arent for BlackBerry 10 ...?
    Likely based on the Z10 specs. Kevin mentioned that the dev alpha didn't run BB10 as smoothly as the Z10 and we know that the playbook more closely resembles the dev alpha specs wise.

If it's not something technical holding them up then what would it be? I hope it's technical. Otherwise that leaves too broad a speculation as to what the issue is. Lol.
    02-12-13 06:09 AM
    I couldn't agree more. I'd rather see a newly redesigned tablet all together than BB10 on this Playbook. Not sure what folks are expecting when BB10 update. It's almost like installing a new Windows operating system on the same old computer and expecting huge improvements. Just my opinion though.
    I'm also mithered by the potential that the disparity in RAM between production BB10 handsets and the PlayBook, may well affect either the result, or the perceived situation in terms of providing a release. I've experienced this being significant for Android tablets, and trying to run new versions of Android with more RAM challenged tablets.

As to a new tablet, well I very much expect there are plans, but probably all up in the air at the moment. No doubt how BB10 fairs on the new handsets, and potentially on the PlayBook may make a difference. I wouldn't bet the plantation on there definitely being a new tablet - they've commented about it being difficult to make money in the tablet marketspace, so I suspect what happens now with BB10 and interest in it, and perhaps how it's perceived on the PlayBook may well strongly influence that. That's one of the reasons why I've previously commented that it probably makes sense to get it out for the PlayBook, sooner, rather than later.

That's not my personal wants influencing my take - I'm rather ambivalent to BB10 coming to the PlayBook, and I'll more than likely wait a while, leeching off the gotta-have-the-latest crowd to be my early adopters / beta testers - and that's even accepting that BB10 may well mean Skype and Kindle for the PlayBook. Personally, I'm in no rush - but conversely, I believe BlackBerry need to be, not necessarily to appease their existing PlayBook audience, but more to help with BB10 being as big as they'd hope, and to solidify what they do going forward in the tablet market.

All that said, I don't think it's quite so much revolution for the PlayBook - after all, it's OS is already QNX - so it's not so much a huge leap, as more of an incremental one, compared to existing handsets.
    02-12-13 06:15 AM
    I just love it when all these responses to how the hardware is gonna work with BB10 come flashing out of no where and with no validation other than "well its not too fast on my crippled development release". Duh! Whats a crippled release got to do with a final release? RIM has said the BB10 OS will be ported to all devices. Do you really think they are so dumb that they have not considered the hardware side? Did they miss the boat because they didn't have BB10 ready for all these devices. Yes. But they were totally focused on making the Z10 as ready as they could. It is in there best interest to have as many devices in the BB10 realm because it brings in more developers for apps for the BB10 OS. Developers for the most part are driven by revenue. There are already plenty of Playbooks out there that having BB10 OS running would increase the revenue for these developers. Believe me RIM knows that.
    02-12-13 06:32 AM
175 ... 34567