for those that want more from the pb, im wondering if 2.0 beta made made it better for you at all? any specific reasons?
    12-16-11 06:57 AM
    I liked it especially being able to organize apps with folders. I did however go back to 1.8 as Sharepoint would not run in 2.0. I simply got a the web error message. Sharepoint 07 and 2010 run perfectly in the official release. If it was not for this I would still be on 2.0.
    12-16-11 07:59 AM
    I liked it especially being able to organize apps with folders. I did however go back to 1.8 as Sharepoint would not run in 2.0. I simply got a the web error message. Sharepoint 07 and 2010 run perfectly in the official release. If it was not for this I would still be on 2.0.
    I ended up installing 2.0 beta. Played with folders. It pretty much IMMEDIATELY broke it. I tried dragging all social apps into a folder only to have one icon starting floating on top of all the other icons and just stuck there. It went away eventually but now I can't even access my social folder at all!when I tap it, for some bizarre reason it opens up the frigging calculator app????? Wow rim. Thanks. No way will this thing be ready for february
    12-16-11 08:15 AM
    "No way will this thing be ready for february " I would ignore lynntarbox, this person is a negative spammer, review their posts. You also have to remember that the 2.0 release is a beta and as such it is not a 100%. It was also released a long time ago and I have seen the "in-house" release of 2.0 and it is way more polished then the beta.
    anindoc and AggreX like this.
    12-16-11 08:20 AM
    I am an early adopter and have resisted the 2.0 beta having been let down by RIM on numerius occassions but I do have to say that I downloaded it today and so far the experience is much more refined than the 1.0x versions. I guess it is still work in progress but very happy to see that RIM have not thrown the towel in despite lots of negativity in the press and often in these forums.

I know that a lot of the functions should have been there to start with but we all knew what we were buying at the time... An excellent piece of hardware

The changes I have noticed so far some of which have been reported already

Folders (Awesome)
    More resposive keyboard
    Bluetooth support A2DP
    Better UI
    Smooth transitions
    Improved bridge experience
    Faster browsing

I'm sure there's much more but for now this is a vast improvement and I certainly hope that RIM continues to focus on quality updates and achieves it promise to release the final 2.0x in February.

Keep it up RIM
    12-16-11 08:43 AM
    "No way will this thing be ready for february " I would ignore lynntarbox, this person is a negative spammer, review their posts. You also have to remember that the 2.0 release is a beta and as such it is not a 100%. It was also released a long time ago and I have seen the "in-house" release of 2.0 and it is way more polished then the beta.
    How do you see in-house release? How does that differ from current beta release which isn't all that old, only couple of weeks?

What point did Lynntarbox incorrectly made? The floating icons in folders, I see that too. I thought RIM wants people to actually discover these problems for them, thus beta. What's wrong with that?
    12-16-11 08:52 AM
    I am an early adopter and have resisted the 2.0 beta having been let down by RIM on numerius occassions but I do have to say that I downloaded it today and so far the experience is much more refined than the 1.0x versions. I guess it is still work in progress but very happy to see that RIM have not thrown the towel in despite lots of negativity in the press and often in these forums.

I know that a lot of the functions should have been there to start with but we all knew what we were buying at the time... An excellent piece of hardware

The changes I have noticed so far some of which have been reported already

Folders (Awesome)
    More resposive keyboard
    Bluetooth support A2DP
    Better UI
    Smooth transitions
    Improved bridge experience
    Faster browsing

I'm sure there's much more but for now this is a vast improvement and I certainly hope that RIM continues to focus on quality updates and achieves it promise to release the final 2.0x in February.

Keep it up RIM
    folders is buggy as ****. where do you see better UI though. i haven't noticed much of a difference besides getting rid of the main headings for apps.

transitions and smoothness is pretty much the same. one only has to open up the blackberry app world and see how that feint stuttering is still noticeable. nowhere near as smooth as android or iOS.

is there a changelog for this update anywhere? i'd really like to know if 'faster browsing' is actually something they worked on or if its just something people think they notice whenever something is 'upgraded'.
    12-16-11 09:32 AM
    especially since the latest build 6149 i think the experience did improve big time.
    compared to 1.08 because of this
    -newest browser is super fast and smooth
    -android player working quite well
    -finally we got a2dp
    -folders

sacrifice for now is much more ram usage and worse multitasking,because running more than 2 apps and/tabs leads the apps to crashing.

i dont see any real reason for someone not to upgrade,you have all the upsides with only a few downsides like mentioned ram usage
    12-16-11 09:41 AM
    folders is buggy as ****. where do you see better UI though. i haven't noticed much of a difference besides getting rid of the main headings for apps.

transitions and smoothness is pretty much the same. one only has to open up the blackberry app world and see how that feint stuttering is still noticeable. nowhere near as smooth as android or iOS.

is there a changelog for this update anywhere? i'd really like to know if 'faster browsing' is actually something they worked on or if its just something people think they notice whenever something is 'upgraded'.
    2.0 is definitely an improvement, especially the newest beta. And fyi, I played with a friend's tab 7 plus, homescreen UI is DEFINITELY not smooth... it does have a lot more apps to choose, but everyone knows that..
    12-16-11 09:47 AM
    especially since the latest build 6149 i think the experience did improve big time.
    compared to 1.08 because of this
    -newest browser is super fast and smooth
    -android player working quite well
    -finally we got a2dp
    -folders

sacrifice for now is much more ram usage and worse multitasking,because running more than 2 apps and/tabs leads the apps to crashing.

i dont see any real reason for someone not to upgrade,you have all the upsides with only a few downsides like mentioned ram usage
    how exactly are you using the android player? i assume sideloading via that dbpp installer or whatever? i was using localbar when i was on 1.0.8 which made the process way easier. looks like the latest broke compatibility with it though..sigh.
    12-16-11 09:47 AM
    i wouldn't recommend it os 2.0 is very unstable i gave it a try for three days just to experience it then i downgraded again to the official os.
    12-16-11 10:03 AM
    How do you see in-house release? How does that differ from current beta release which isn't all that old, only couple of weeks?

What point did Lynntarbox incorrectly made? The floating icons in folders, I see that too. I thought RIM wants people to actually discover these problems for them, thus beta. What's wrong with that?
    No. RIM does not want consumers to report what they perceive as bugs or imperfections in the UI.

Warning: Only proceed with this upgrade if you are a developer that needs to test applications on BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0. Applications can include Android apps packaged for the BlackBerry Tablet, BlackBerry WebWorks apps, or apps created using the BlackBerry Tablet OS SDK. If you are repackaging applications for the BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps, please read this notice before updating your PlayBook OS 2.0 build.
    The BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0 Beta 1 is currently available as a developer-only beta, and contains support for developers to test their applications against the following runtimes:
    Adobe AIR 3.0
    WebWorks
    Native API 2.0
    This version of OS 2.0 does not contain end user features such as: email, calendar contacts, video store, etc.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 12-16-11 at 10:11 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-16-11 10:07 AM
    how exactly are you using the android player? i assume sideloading via that dbpp installer or whatever? i was using localbar when i was on 1.0.8 which made the process way easier. looks like the latest broke compatibility with it though..sigh.
    exactly,i sign my bars and transfer via dbpp.
    in terms of localbar,you have too root and change something to get localbar running again.
    it is explained in the devs thread here on the board.
    But the last build isnt dingable right now,so thatbwont work,but i ddnt have any use of root till now anyways
    12-16-11 10:09 AM
    for those that want more from the pb, im wondering if 2.0 beta made made it better for you at all? any specific reasons?
    Yes and no. I like all of the changes in the UI, especially folders. But 2.0 broke my WiFi; nothing I did could get it back, so it had to go. I was also a little disappointed that there were no updates to bookmark management, but then this was just a developer beta. Can't wait to see it released.
    12-16-11 10:32 AM
    just with A2DP alone... hellz yeah!
    Makes me wish I hadn't been so cheap and return the 32gb model for a $100 cheaper 16gb model

I'm not too big on the folders though. But I still don't care, 2.0 is great for me
    12-16-11 10:53 AM
    i wouldn't recommend it os 2.0 is very unstable i gave it a try for three days just to experience it then i downgraded again to the official os.
    yeah me too. But 3 days later I reinstalled the 2.0 because I couldn't live without at least SOME Android support. I'm much happier now
    12-16-11 11:00 AM
    I find that the boot time is increased significantly
    12-16-11 11:11 AM
    Yes and no. I like all of the changes in the UI, especially folders. But 2.0 broke my WiFi; nothing I did could get it back, so it had to go. I was also a little disappointed that there were no updates to bookmark management, but then this was just a developer beta. Can't wait to see it released.
    Ditto - but I stuck with it for a month before I went back to 1.0.8. I do miss some things but, for my use case, they're not that important. February is not that far away anyway...
    12-16-11 11:30 AM
    No. RIM does not want consumers to report what they perceive as bugs or imperfections in the UI.

Warning: Only proceed with this upgrade if you are a developer that needs to test applications on BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0. Applications can include Android apps packaged for the BlackBerry Tablet, BlackBerry WebWorks apps, or apps created using the BlackBerry Tablet OS SDK. If you are repackaging applications for the BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps, please read this notice before updating your PlayBook OS 2.0 build.
    The BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0 Beta 1 is currently available as a developer-only beta, and contains support for developers to test their applications against the following runtimes:
    Adobe AIR 3.0
    WebWorks
    Native API 2.0
    This version of OS 2.0 does not contain end user features such as: email, calendar contacts, video store, etc.
    THIS. I fail to understand all of posters saying such crap when they can't understand or bother to find out that it is developer beta and nothing like a windows beta that people are allowed to test and report on.
    12-16-11 12:02 PM
    For me the beta has improved my experience tenfold (or more)...

Folders and dock are sweet.
    Better keyboard.
    Better browsing experience.
    And of course Android apps: email without bridging, Kindle app, Repligo reader, Comicrack are all really usefull for me.

Wouldn't dream of rolling back...
    12-16-11 12:02 PM
    is arabic avaliable with this update
    12-16-11 12:16 PM
    I'm not a developer but curiosity got to me. I downloaded os2 shortly after it's release and overall was very pleased. I didn't have any problems with the android player and sideloaded a bunch of apps with localbar which made it alot easier. I was disappointed netflix and zinio app did not work. I decided to go back to 1.8 a couple days ago because with the wifi at work kept giving me alot of errors. It worked fine at home. I just decided it was close enough to February to stick it out and wait for the polished version.
    12-16-11 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD