is there anyway that us current playbook owners will be able to get our playbooks updated with 4g service, when available? Or at least 3g service? i use a 3g mobile hotspot from Verizon, but find it to be a pain to carry an extra device. sorry if this question has been asked already.
    05-10-11 08:36 PM
    Nothing along these lines has ever been said, so while it's possible, it's unlikely.
    05-10-11 08:39 PM
    It would great if RIM would at least offer it, I think that I would be willing to pay for the extra feature.
    05-10-11 08:52 PM
    why didnt you wait until the 3g or 4g device was released? should be soon
    05-10-11 09:06 PM
    Has anything officially been said about a 3g/4g model?
    05-10-11 09:12 PM
    sprint is having a 4g version and att was testing a 3g one too
    05-10-11 09:17 PM
    is there anyway that us current playbook owners will be able to get our playbooks updated with 4g service, when available? Or at least 3g service? i use a 3g mobile hotspot from Verizon, but find it to be a pain to carry an extra device. sorry if this question has been asked already.
    depends if the hardware is any different, if its anything like the ipad the current one won't have the antenna.
    05-10-11 09:24 PM
    Step up for a few extra bucks on the carrier contract and add tethering, it works great and surfing at 3g is fine in a pinch. I have an overdrive which gets pretty solid 4g in NYC, much better than 3g through the BB but it is a pain to carry/charge the hot spot but i always have the BB on me so it just works.

I have not tested this for long periods and big data but it is fine when you need a connection.

Just remember to disconnect once you hit a wifi spot, not sure how this is handled on the PBos but i wouldn't trust the os to fully handle the hand-off at this early stage and you could easily exceed your monthly data plan limits if your are not careful to switch back to wifi when it's around.
    santi29402 likes this.
    05-10-11 10:58 PM
    I'm quite happy with the tethering. I don't wish to have a second data plan. I just wouldn't get the use for it to be worth while. With tethering I am able to get value for money from my current mobile data plan. I never go anywhere without my mobile so it's hardly an inconvenience having to carry a second device.
    05-11-11 12:32 AM
    My plan here in Japan for my bb is blocked for flash content. I can't tether, but I could bridge the playbook and use the bridge browser, but it doesn't load flash sites and is slower than watching the grass grow. I didn't want to pay for another plan, so I bought a high speed pocket WiFi that has no restrictions and I have clocked at times as quick as 4000kbps. I can connect up to 5 devices and have it connected to the playbook and my bb. Now my bb works at breakneck speeds compared to what I had with my carrier and the money i save by not using my carriers plan for downloading content, completely covers the cost of my new pocket WiFi. I am glad I made the change, because now the playbook is blowing away my expectations. I stopped using my laptop for web browsing and will never go back. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 05-11-11 at 02:04 AM.
    05-11-11 02:01 AM
    here's a press release on BlackBerry 4G PlayBook Coming to the Sprint 4G Network this summer!

So you just need to be patient. It's just the beginning of innovations.
    05-11-11 02:29 AM
    4G model will have terrible battery life unless they literally double the battery, guaranteed...
    05-11-11 02:32 AM
    i have not cracked open this pb device...yet...but doubt ithas any antenna or the equipment for anything other then wifi....no gsm, no cdma, no wimax, no lte.

ofcoarse, this is a guess, as there is no way to upgrade other wifi devices to cellular networks, and i have not opened this device yet to look at the board and components.
    05-11-11 03:24 AM
    i have not cracked open this pb device...yet...but doubt ithas any antenna or the equipment for anything other then wifi....no gsm, no cdma, no wimax, no lte.

ofcoarse, this is a guess, as there is no way to upgrade other wifi devices to cellular networks, and i have not opened this device yet to look at the board and components.
    Teardown of PlayBook

BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit
    05-11-11 03:59 AM
    The new BBs rocking OS 7 will have hotspot capability. Wont even need tethering at that point. But for now, my 3G tethering is awesome.
    05-11-11 06:34 AM
    I'm very satisfied with my tethering speeds from my storm 2 on verizon. I won't be getting the 3G/4G model
    05-11-11 06:51 AM
    I've always had a Mifi around for partnering my laptop when away from Wifi coverage. So I have no need/intention of upgrading to a 3 or 4G Playbook.

I find the Mifi is no bother to carry around or charge (has a mini microUSB cable in its little carrying pouch and easy to plug in anywhere). But the extra versatility it gives you to give internet to your BB, your PB, your laptop and family/friends/colleagues on the road is much more useful than just another data plan exclusively on your PB!
    05-11-11 07:24 AM
    I rather tether then having my expensive device tattooed with a Verizon, AT&T or Sprint logo all over it. No thank you.
    05-11-11 08:10 AM
    i feel that the 4g and 3g mifi or hotspot devices are the best route to go...saves the playbook battery, no carrier branding on the playbook, has the option to give your phone and laptop access as well...just my opinion though.
    05-11-11 08:39 AM
    Lots of people in indonesia goes that way, running their own mifi. The cellular network is slow, combined with the bridge. Useless.
    05-11-11 09:11 AM
    Nothing along these lines has ever been said, so while it's possible, it's unlikely.
    Jim Balsillie originally said that the Playbook would have an "module cavity" for adding things like WWAN capability but I haven't heard anything since so I don't know.

Jim Balsillie says BlackBerry PlayBook has a 'module cavity,' hints at NFC capabilities -- Engadget

He unfortunately didn't have one on hand (or at least on stage), but RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie did make a bit of news about the BlackBerry PlayBook at the now-happening Web 2.0 Summit. The first is that the tablet packs what Balsillie described as a "module cavity" -- the most obvious use for which would be to add WWAN capabilities to the WiFi-only model (something Balsillie himself suggested), although the possibilities certainly extend far beyond that.
    05-11-11 09:42 AM
    Doubt it, but you could always get one of the newer 3G/4G Blackberry OS 7 devices that will be coming out with mobile hotspot feature.
    05-11-11 09:50 AM
    The mobile hot spot probably will still require some kind of upgraded data/tethering plan. Didn't apple get hit with this for hot spot capability?? Maybe a 4g berry would make bridge work for the basics and hopefully by then more bridge apps than we have now.
    05-13-11 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD