Just wondering if I will be able to upgrade to the new OS 2 from the beta OS 2 without having to downgrade first. Also will I loose any data or apps if it is possible? Thanks
    01-18-12 06:25 AM
    Anyone upgrading directly from the beta, which was never intended to be for regular users and isn't representative of the final 2.0, is asking for trouble.

I don't even expect RIM will "support" that upgrade path quite like they will the 1.0.8 to 2.0 final path. If problems arise, their tech support is likely to just say "do a wipe then try upgrading again", so why not simplify your life and just go with the path 99% of users will follow, and which RIM will have tested most extensively?
    Last edited by peter9477; 01-18-12 at 07:57 AM.
    diegonei likes this.
    01-18-12 07:37 AM
    why wouldn't they support the upgrade? they posted it publicly and everyone had easy access to it. they aren't dumb obviously they knew people would download the beta and were probably banking on it. The official version isn't going to be dramatically different, just adding in new features.
    01-18-12 09:34 AM
    why wouldn't they support the upgrade? they posted it publicly and everyone had easy access to it. they aren't dumb obviously they knew people would download the beta and were probably banking on it. The official version isn't going to be dramatically different, just adding in new features.

The beta was designed to be used by developers, not "Joe Shmoe". While it's nice that they have given liberal access to this to anyone, it doesn't mean they need or should put resources into troubleshooting non supported upgrade paths.

I think we should all just be thankful you got to play with it before it was released.
    01-18-12 09:42 AM
    Well you probably will have to downgrade and then upgrade, and also don't bother doing a backup, because the backup files (right now) are not compatible. You know how many games and other things, I have lost (saved game profiles and such) and have to start over. For this very reason, I downgraded 2 weeks ago back to official and playing my games and such and no need to worry about this potential issue
    01-18-12 10:04 AM
    I will make a fearless prediction that this topic will be a favourite for those who wish to discredit RIM's commitment to customer service after OS2 launch.

For the record let me say categorically that RIM IS supporting the upgrade - in exactly the same way that they have always supported upgrades to DEVELOPERS' beta software. They have always recommended a clean install when moving to an official version.

You are correct that RIM knew that people would download the beta That's why they insisted that you accept their terms of use agreement when you downloaded the beta OS. By accepting that agreement, you acknowledged that the software was intended for developers only and that it did not contain anything of interest to ordinary consumers.

The official version may or may not be dramatically different than the beta, but there is no way that you should be "banking on" it, one way or the other.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-18-12 10:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD