Anybody know if they will update the OS anytime soon? I installed the OS that got pushed to my PB and it has made my browser worse. Then I found out they pulled the OS...what's going on RIM?

Amazon will announce an updated Fire in a week and then the Playbook will be in deeper trouble...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-24-12 04:12 PM
    Just because Amazon is updating the Fire?

I fail to see how one thing relates to the other.
    kbz1960 and hpjrt like this.
    08-24-12 04:17 PM
    Just think about it for a moment...

08-24-12 04:22 PM
    I heard Microsoft is pushing out updates too, putting RIM in even more deeper trouble.....

think about it. :screwy:

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    EricB1968 and snarlybear like this.
    08-24-12 04:53 PM
    The kindle fire can't hold a match to the Playbook. I seriously doubt that the updated Kindle fire will either.

PlayBook tablet is top notch hardware and software. Kindle Fire is mediocre.
    08-24-12 05:04 PM
    The Kindle Fire has been declared a sales dud after 2 quarters.
    diegonei and cerone1970 like this.
    08-24-12 05:06 PM
    Had the opportunity to try the Kindle Fire and it really is nowhere near the tablet the Playbook is. Couldn't even manage to get an epub to download and work on it. The UI also leaves much to be desired.

As far as the pb official OS update, who knows and RIM isn't saying anything other than "soon" "around the corner" etc. - whatever. I've been watching this forum slow down to a crawl as people jump ship. I love my pb and my 9930 but even I'm starting to lose hope.
    snarlybear and currygoat like this.
    08-24-12 05:48 PM
    Who says the PB needs an update?
    The current one works fine.

Who cares about other maker products .. unless you own one.
    08-24-12 06:25 PM
    OP, take 2 hits & pass
    BB_Bmore and Carl Estes like this.
    08-24-12 06:27 PM

Do you have a point to make or will you just be making vague statements? I welcome discussion, but I report poor threads.

If you saw something in the update list that directly attacks something the PlayBook is trying to target or maybe a feature that diferentiates the Fire even more (because it has the advantage on content already), say it.

So, either that or just thing about how poor this thread is for a moment...
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-24-12 at 08:01 PM.
    EricB1968 and snarlybear like this.
    08-24-12 06:39 PM
    If anyone in here has a clue, it's likely Bla1ze. As for me, not a clue. But mine works fine as is anyway as someone above posted. I'm not too concerned about the next OS update at the moment. I'm looking forward to BB10 coming to the PlayBook. That's where it's really at.
    Harryl6134 and snarlybear like this.
    08-24-12 07:31 PM
    Who says the PB needs an update?
    The current one works fine.

Who cares about other maker products .. unless you own one.
    your demand is pretty low lol
    08-24-12 08:17 PM
    Shortly.

Notice I did not say "soon"

+1 Karma for me!!!
    08-24-12 08:24 PM
    The new Kindle fire could have a camera maybe even as high as 2.3 mega pixels
    snarlybear likes this.
    08-24-12 09:40 PM
    People keep saying screw 2.1 I'm waiting for BlackBerry10. I have a feeling that 2.1 will have a couple gems that we didn't see in the leaked change logs. Like jaycut for starters
    sam_g_84 likes this.
    08-24-12 09:42 PM
    People keep saying screw 2.1 I'm waiting for BlackBerry10. I have a feeling that 2.1 will have a couple gems that we didn't see in the leaked change logs. Like jaycut for starters
    I'm sure it will and I'm still looking forward to it. Hoping for USB host myself. But still I think it will be a bump in the road to the non-stop rumble strips that will be BB10.
    08-24-12 09:48 PM
    Do you have a point to make or will you just be making vague statements? I welcome discussion, but I report poor threads.

If you saw something in the update list that directly attacks something the PlayBook is trying to target or maybe a feature that diferentiates the Fire even more (because it has the advantage on content already), say it.

So, either that or just thing about how poor this thread is for a moment...
    Frankly, I am a bit tired of your relentless rudeness. While anyone is free to offer their opinions, and encouraged to do so, you only contribute to the silly-season. Maybe you are unaware of how forums work: If you do not like a thread or topic, exercise your freedom to move to the next. If everyone else concurs and do the same, the thread will die quickly. So, your contributions only furthers that which you find unworthy, and therefore counter-intuitive.

Here is a suggestion. Help if you are able and willing. Add constructively to any discourse to enlighten a subject, and where you can't, move on. Please.
    08-24-12 09:58 PM
    Frankly, I am a bit tired of your relentless rudeness. While anyone is free to offer their opinions, and encouraged to do so, you only contribute to the silly-season. Maybe you are unaware of how forums work: If you do not like a thread or topic, exercise your freedom to move to the next. If everyone else concurs and do the same, the thread will die quickly. So, your contributions only furthers that which you find unworthy, and therefore counter-intuitive.

Here is a suggestion. Help if you are able and willing. Add constructively to any discourse to enlighten a subject, and where you can't, move on. Please.
    Ah you know, I'm tired of the relentless bashing. I do help. But I do express my annoyance over bashing and poor threads that are just troll bait.

But yeah, I can see how my posts can come off as rude. Anyway, forums work just the way they do: person a says one thing, other members are free to agree or disagree. I disagree. Most people here seem to agree with my disagreeing.

Thanks for your opinion though.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-24-12 at 10:46 PM.
    08-24-12 10:44 PM
    Wow good to see that this thread hasn't gotten a life of its own..

Let me clarify, I recently updated to the newest OS and feel my PB took a step backwards in terms of browser speed and stability. The update also didn't seem to address email login issues that many people are having. So RIM pulls this update from their servers but we haven't heard if there is going to be a fix. People who were so anxious and made the update right away are now stuck with this OS. Do you see the frustration? Now how long has this product been to market? And they are even releasing the 4G LTE version when the bugs still haven't been figure out.

Now as for my Fire comment, you can say all you want about its inferior hardware, etc I totally agree. The point is it is Amazons best selling product ever, so that in itself will tell you that they have sold millions...of this 7" tablet of inferior quality. How many PBs have sold. Now if RIM is going to compete in the 7" market, they need to get their act together.

So when Amazon announces their new Fire in a week or so, their hardware is going to be just as good if not better than our current PBs. And they will continue to sell millions... Anybody see where I am going with this?

I want RIM to get rid of these bugs so that the PB can stand out against some of these competitors because we sure aren't going to get any new PB hardware anytime soon.

08-27-12 10:58 PM
    Now if RIM is going to compete in the 7" market, they need to get their act together.
    They will also need to get their apps together.
    rupam95 likes this.
    08-27-12 11:07 PM
    They will also need to get their apps together.
    1 trillibillimillion likes!!!
    EricB1968 likes this.
    08-27-12 11:09 PM
    Wow good to see that this thread hasn't gotten a life of its own..

Let me clarify, I recently updated to the newest OS and feel my PB took a step backwards in terms of browser speed and stability. The update also didn't seem to address email login issues that many people are having. So RIM pulls this update from their servers but we haven't heard if there is going to be a fix. People who were so anxious and made the update right away are now stuck with this OS. Do you see the frustration? Now how long has this product been to market? And they are even releasing the 4G LTE version when the bugs still haven't been figure out.

Now as for my Fire comment, you can say all you want about its inferior hardware, etc I totally agree. The point is it is Amazons best selling product ever, so that in itself will tell you that they have sold millions...of this 7" tablet of inferior quality. How many PBs have sold. Now if RIM is going to compete in the 7" market, they need to get their act together.

So when Amazon announces their new Fire in a week or so, their hardware is going to be just as good if not better than our current PBs. And they will continue to sell millions... Anybody see where I am going with this?

I want RIM to get rid of these bugs so that the PB can stand out against some of these competitors because we sure aren't going to get any new PB hardware anytime soon.

The Playbook itself is a sold product, whereas the software still needs plenty of work.

Especially APPS ( Not Games )

For me, the Playbook is mostly for Gaming and a little bit of web browsing.

Not one official Bank app is available in the App World.

In addition, how many apps are in the app world that are official apps from a small or big company?
    08-27-12 11:15 PM
    One and a half million PBs were sold. So far. I don't know how many Fires were sold, and I would appreciate if someone could provide this information

Now OP, post #19 makes a much better case! You should have done that instead of #1 and #3.

What you are going with this was already stated: Amazon has content sorted while RIM is still working around getting the ecosystem in place (it's not like we don't have content, it's just not as neatly integrated). Besides that, the way I see it, the devices appeal to different people: The PB is more of a jack of all trades/BB companion/mobile computing platform, while the Fire is a very powerful media consumption device, hooked to Amazon's media rich stores.

And as a final note, once BB10 hits, "this different folks, different strokes" thing will become far too evident.
    08-27-12 11:35 PM
    To add insult to injury I've also noticed in the last week or so since updating, my wifi signal cuts in and out even though I'm in the same location I usually use it in....mainly at home.

I really want a solid OS update. Just this morning I tried checking my email on it and just gave up. Too slow and I end up deleting emails that I have to delete again on my 9900. I will take my 9900 any day over the PB. I really thought it would complement each other well but so far in my case it hasn't.

I've also stopped showing off the device to friends as I feel like its a little embarrassing when email lags so much and I keep getting login errors.

Anyway, hope RIM will sort this out soon. Plus does anybody know if BB10 will have bridge like functionality with the PB?

brianatbb likes this.
    08-29-12 11:44 AM
    Let me clarify, I recently updated to the newest OS and feel my PB took a step backwards in terms of browser speed and stability. ... So RIM pulls this update from their servers but we haven't heard if there is going to be a fix. People who were so anxious and made the update right away are now stuck with this OS. Do you see the frustration?
    I'm still using 2.0.0.791 because of reported problems with the FIRST 2.0.1 update. I'm quite happy with it. Nonetheless, I have a really annoying notification I can't get rid of that 2.01.688 is waiting to be downloaded.

What would happen if I clicked on it? Would it download to my Playbook despite RIM having pulled it as an update? If not, why can't they cancel the notification message?
    08-29-12 03:10 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD