Sorry this was so long - ranted, many thanks to Berger King who broke it up below for easier reading. In this version, I have bolded points so people can speed read and used Berger King's easier to read editing
    The company was not nerds from BestBuy -herd bad things about them, but this place had the word nerd in its name. This was an older guy and got here around 3pm and didn't leave until almost 9pm on Sat. What a disaster. I called to ask for a general PC clean up of junk and viruses - usually a hr or so, right? Plus asked him to re-install my Lexmark pro715 printer that was unplugged for about 3mths.

I told him on the phone that I no longer had the original cartridges but had 2 pkgs of generic ones I got from Amazon. I told him on the phone he had to break the carbon line under the seal on the black cartridge and I didn't have an exacto knife. I also said the ink jets may be plugged because it had been sitting there unplugged - could he do this? I left him upstairs to work and kept going up to see how he was doing. He wasn't some young guy nerd from best buy, but an older guy and the company did have the word 'nerd' in it.

He was doing cleanup 1st. Told me I should only be using approx 25% of space and I was using closer to 90%. Next time I check (about an hr) he's still cleaning - he said he deleted stuff on my desktop that wasn't in my favourites. I was alarmed, I had told him I don't use the PC anymore, just the BBPBs and the 'favorites' were outdated and the desktop icons were what was used.

Sure enough, the jerk had deleted the Adobe, Java and the BB program to do sideloading from the desktop. I also caught him several times googling how to load LEXMARK cartridges. I was really alarmed as I had told him several times to READ the instructions that came with the cartridges. More time goes by 3 hrs by now and he is still cleaning. I also have an HP printer, and he's got that too up on his screen and tells me all the online says HP is better.

I say, so what, just re-install the lexmark, I want to print from the lexmark because the Hewlet Packard won't print certain things from my PB. He corrects me saying its an HP - I don't bother to tell him that's what HP means. He asks me to try several different print things that I've already done without his help. Its 4 hrs., still cleaning and hasn't done anything with the Lexmark.

He starts to show me graphs of how many things are running in the background - I ask what things, oh, just stuff that always runs. What was his point? My friend I were ready to go to dinner. He starts talking techno babble (stupid Sh**t) and I try to tell him to stop. He just kept talking forever like he had no stop button. I said look I tried to interrupt you because don't know what you said and he smiled and said yeah., I know.

Now I'm really angry. I insist he read the Lex instructions. Next time I go up, he says 'where's the chip from the original Lexmark cartridge'? I said I told him on the phone and when he was here that it was gone so trying to switch chips as on the web won't work. READ the instructions!!

Finally in the last hour he reloaded Adobe and java, but Many programs are missing from my desktop. He then had to go out to his car to get the exacto knife - can you believe this? Then he couldn't see/puncture the carbon line, couldn't do it (this us mot a kud, but some okder balding guy) and all was for naught. Cost me close to $300 for 6 hrs of hell and no dinner untill about 9:30. What an A-hole.
    Last edited by castoridae; 06-11-13 at 05:04 PM. Reason: hard to read
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-10-13 09:49 PM
    Ok, I broke up your post a bit. As a friendly tip, if you want people to read and comment on a post, please don't make it a wall of text. I know a lot of members who won't read them, and I want as many as possible to be able or willing to read it. Hope this helps you get some comments!
    06-10-13 10:15 PM
    The company was not nerds from BestBuy -herd bad things about them, but this place had the word nerd in its name. This guy got here around 3pm and didn't leave until almost 9pm on Sat. What a disaster. I called to ask for a general PC clean up of junk and viruses - usually a hr or so, right? Plus asked him to re-install my Lexmark pro715 printer that was unplugged for about 3mths. I told him on the phone that I no longer had the original cartridges but had 2 pkgs of generic ones I got from Amazon.

I told him on the phone he had to break the carbon line under the seal on the black cartridge and I didn't have an exacto knife. I also said the ink jets may be pmugged because it had been sitting there unplugged - could he do this? I left him upstairs to work and kept going up to see how he was doing. He wasn't some young guy nerd from best buy, but an older guy and the company did have the word 'nerd' in it.

He was doing cleanup 1st. Told me I should only be using approx 25% of space and I was using closer to 90%. Next time I check (about an hr) he's still cleaning - he said he deleted stuff on my desktop that wasn't in my favourites. I was alarmed, I haf told him I don't use the PC anymore, just the BBPBs and the 'favorites' were outdated and the desktop icons were what was used.

Sure enough, the jerk had deleted the Adobe, Java and the BB program to do sideloading from the desktop. I also caught him several times googling how to load LEXMARK cartridges. I was really alarmed as I had told him several times to READ the instructions that came with the cartridges. More time goes by 3 hrs by now and he is still cleaning. I also have an HP printer, and he's got that too up on his screen and tells me all the online says HP is better.

I say, so what, just re-install the lexmark, I want to print from it cause the Hewlet Packard won't print certain things from my PB. He wants me to show him, I do and he asks me to try several different things that I've already done without his help. Its 4 hrs., still cleaning and hasn't done anything with the Lexmark.

He starts to show me graphs of how many things are running in the background - I ask what things, oh, just stuff that always runs. What was his point? My friend I were ready to go to dinner. He starts talking techno babble (stupid Sh**t) and I try to tell him to stop. He just kept talking forever wirh no stop button. I said look I tried to interrupt you because don't know what you said and he smiled and said yeah., I know. Now I'm really angry. I insist he read the Lex instructilons. Next time I go uo, he says 'where's the chip from the original Lexmark cartridge'? I said I told him on the phone and when he was here that it was gone so trying to switch chips as on the web won't work. READ the instructions!!

Finally in the last hour he reloaded Adobe and java, but Many programs are missing from my desktop. He then had to go out to his car to get the exacto knife - can you believe this? Then he couldn't see/puncture the carbon line, couldn't do it (this us mot a kud, but some okder balding guy) and all was for naught. Cost me close to $300 for 6 hrs of hell and no dinner untill about 9:30. What an A-hole.
    howarmat, KDB84, dphjeff and 2 others like this.
    06-10-13 10:20 PM
    Ok, I'm trying to be helpful, here. I know you have something you'd like to relay, but I know a great many members who absolutely hate trying to read a wall of text. If you could edit it into some paragraphs, I'm sure folks would like to comment or read the post. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I thought maybe it was a cypher I was trying to decode it.
    castoridae and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    06-10-13 10:21 PM
    Eh I read the whole thing no problem, pretty funny story, kinda made me wanna punch the tech guy lol.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    KDB84 and castoridae like this.
    06-10-13 10:56 PM
    Eh I read the whole thing no problem, pretty funny story, kinda made me wanna punch the tech guy lol.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    Oh, it's a decent story, but there are people that will look at it as written and not think twice about ignoring it because it irritates them to try and read something with no breaks. There are folks it doesn't bother, but there are plenty it does.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-10-13 11:12 PM
    I read it before you broke it up BergerKing. I wasn't going to at first (thought it was to much) but read it anyway. Your right the post looks better spaced out. Thanks
    BergerKing and axllebeer like this.
    06-10-13 11:21 PM
    Costoridae didn't you purchase that HP printer two months ago? What can't you print from your PlayBook to it?
    I would have booted his azz out after the first 3 hour.
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-10-13 11:24 PM
    kinda made me wanna punch the tech guy lol.
    I'm my own tech guy. Unfortunately I pay myself sh1t.
    06-11-13 12:57 AM
    I love being my own tech guy, but yea the pay stinks. I have done this type of work too, but I am much better at it than that id1ot. Never delete programs you think people don't use. It's not your computer. But do keep an eye out for malware, whether they use it or not they should know what it really is. I wonder where these companies get these sort of people?
    BergerKing, kbz1960 and axllebeer like this.
    06-11-13 01:14 AM
    I love being my own tech guy, but yea the pay stinks. I have done this type of work too, but I am much better at it than that id1ot. Never delete programs you think people don't use. It's not your computer. But do keep an eye out for malware, whether they use it or not they should know what it really is. I wonder where these companies get these sort of people?
    The pay stinks? You didn't just give up a few hundred dollars, I'd say the pay was pretty darned good, actually.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CB Forums mobile app
    eddy_berry and axllebeer like this.
    06-11-13 08:01 AM
    I wouldn't say $50.00 an hour for a service call was bad, but if your paying $50.00 an hour for inexperience it is.
    castoridae likes this.
    06-11-13 09:47 AM
    The pay stinks? You didn't just give up a few hundred dollars, I'd say the pay was pretty darned good, actually.

True...
    06-11-13 09:55 AM
    I wouldn't say $50.00 an hour for a service call was bad, but if your paying $50.00 an hour for inexperience it is.

And if not inexperience, incompetence.
    dphjeff likes this.
    06-11-13 10:57 AM
    You got that right BergerKing.
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-11-13 11:19 AM
    I really want to read this, got dizzy by the fifth line!
    06-11-13 11:30 AM
    Who doesn't know how to do this???
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-11-13 12:17 PM
    Never call any company with the word "nerd" in the name for computer repair. These are likely people with minimal tech experience who get some "training" and are taught buzzwords to confuse the clients into thinking they know what they are talking about. If the computer sees minimal use, and is really for certain purposes, sometimes it's best to back up needed data and then format/wipe the system and start fresh. Would have been a lot less time taken than what the "nerd" used.

Sorry that it sounds like you got hosed for what should have been an easy job. Really sounds like you got a bad tech, though and I would consider calling the company and complaining. Sometimes it's just bad luck. My dad called me a few weeks ago because he couldn't get his TV to work. He had spent 45 min on the phone with a tech from the cable company to no avail (company booked an appointment to have a tech show up). I fixed the issue in 5 min over the phone. I'm not trying to toot my horn, but just saying that sometimes you get the misfortune of talking/working with a tech who really has no idea about what they are doing. Someone competent should have been able to do the work you described in a fraction of the time.
    dphjeff likes this.
    06-11-13 01:06 PM
    funny story.
    same here too. i am also a tech guy + plus a nerd + a geek + a guy who talks non-stop with myself (since no one likes to listen all the technical stuff i ramble all the time).
    "Cost me close to $300 for 6 hrs of hell and no dinner untill about 9:30. What an A-hole."
    now i feel like an A-Hole because i have never charged people to fix their broken software and hardware. and alli got was a smile and a box full of chocolates and when they left my place they spoke all kinda sh!ts about me and not even 1 cent or paisa. forget 300 $.
    now this post is funny and it depressed me completely. i do take pride and passion in my work which i do for others. i never get paid and also they talk sh!t behind me. oh i am such an A-Hole and a looser.
    thanks
    -paul
    dphjeff likes this.
    06-11-13 01:39 PM
    funny story.
    same here too. i am also a tech guy + plus a nerd + a geek + a guy who talks non-stop with myself (since no one likes to listen all the technical stuff i ramble all the time).
    "Cost me close to $300 for 6 hrs of hell and no dinner untill about 9:30. What an A-hole."
    now i feel like an A-Hole because i have never charged people to fix their broken software and hardware. and alli got was a smile and a box full of chocolates and when they left my place they spoke all kinda sh!ts about me and not even 1 cent or paisa. forget 300 $.
    now this post is funny and it depressed me completely. i do take pride and passion in my work which i do for others. i never get paid and also they talk sh!t behind me. oh i am such an A-Hole and a looser.
    thanks
    -paul
    I do stuff for people too. I stopped explaining to them Years ago. They thought i was being arrogant. I wasn't, just thought they were interested. They didn't care, they just wanted it fixed. I started just saying only things like "not a biggie, I'll have it fixed in a jiffy" or "hey, any one could delete his operating system, it will just take a while to fix".

Now they still talk about me but they things like "he is a genius" and "he really knows his stuff". Just pat them on their powdered little technical bottoms and they will love you!
    06-11-13 02:34 PM
    Paul
    You need to charge them your time because it's worth something. At least if you charge them it would make it somewhat ok to talk sh!t. If they got it for free they should keep there mouths shut. After 25 years of business, I have found that people that get something for nothing are the biggest azzholes.
    eddy_berry and BergerKing like this.
    06-11-13 02:46 PM
    Paul
    You need to charge them your time because it's worth something. At least if you charge them it would make it somewhat ok to talk sh!t. If they got it for free they should keep there mouths shut. After 25 years of business, I have found that people that get something for nothing are the biggest azzholes.
    i dont like charging end users since i charge companies pretty nice. its this end users aka stereo types or what dazzleaj calls
    "* Now they still talk about me but they things like "he is a genius" and "he really knows his stuff". Just pat them on their powdered little technical bottoms and they will love you! *"
    is what i really need to do. Forget charging. not everytime i have been back bitten, 1/10 are nice and caring its the 9/10 ******* who are just complete **** off.
    viz. my friend fumbles up his macbook pro. i had pull my buspirate and wipe his flash chip clean and then revive his macbook. this "******" complains i took too long and he cant bear with me so long he needs it immediately et al. does he even know how much i had to struggle to bring back his macbook? frop opening the case to screwing/unscrewing countless screws then locate the flashchip then use a pomona soic8 clip and busirate and wait for hours as its first cleaned then wiped cleans and then rewritten? plus hours searching in google how to fix "HIS MACBOOK WHICH HE FSCKED UP" and he wanted it in 2-3 hours. the bugger work took me nearly 6 hours plus a pain in the neck and bonus backpain and then what i got? a slam on the wall and his anger and frustration with life and bang on the main gate following screw up talks in the circle of friends/foes. there are countless stories like these. oh plus the free sfotwares which they get/take from me thats another story.
    so? i stopped offering free service to these genuine @ssholes most of them only a handpicked remains. others can kiss my @ss thats my attitude now. call me rude i care no FSCK!
    -paul
    dphjeff likes this.
    06-11-13 02:58 PM
    Oh, it's a decent story, but there are people that will look at it as written and not think twice about ignoring it because it irritates them to try and read something with no breaks. There are folks it doesn't bother, but there are plenty it does.
    Thanks to all of you guys for the heads up on the length of my rant - really sorry. Have now tried to fix it.
    06-11-13 05:07 PM
    Costoridae didn't you purchase that HP printer two months ago? What can't you print from your PlayBook to it?
    I would have booted his azz out after the first 3 hour.
    Yeah, but the Hp won't print web pages - I should have posted here & asked about that instead of getting a home non-nerd. I will now, but at another time. The HP remains the only working printer.
    dphjeff likes this.
    06-11-13 05:25 PM
    [QUOTESomeone competent should have been able to do the work you described in a fraction of the time.[/QUOTE]

Thx for your post, I thought of writing the company to complain, but it very well could be his company! you're 100% correct about a-holes using techno-babble, I tried several times to interrupt his stupid sh*t, but he just. kept. talking. - like I wasn't there! To those of you who are honest tech guys - I hear you and this is my first bad experience, I have had good work from other companies - won't use this place again.
    dphjeff and BergerKing like this.
    06-11-13 05:50 PM
53 123