This morning my 16GB Playbook had the icon showing and message showing that there was a SW update available.

Had to go to work, no wifi,so I just powered down until I could update tonight. When I powered my PB back up, the SW update icon is gone. Running 2.01.358, when I check settings it says I have the latest software.

Checked through Desktop Manager also, says no updates available.

Anyone else? Any ideas?
    08-03-12 09:52 PM
    I experienced that same thing. I was checking the forum to see if it was just me. I plugged my Playbook into my Mac with USB and ran the Blackberry Desktop Manager. It immediately said that there's an update available for the Playbook and started downloading it. But I can't figure out what happened to the OTA update.
    08-03-12 10:01 PM
    I had not used DM in a few weeks, so when i started it up there was an update for DM available, which i installed before connecting my PB.

Maybe I screwed up something? Frustrating!
    08-03-12 10:06 PM
    I had upgraded to the 64gb and gave the 16 to my wife.I got the update but she didn't. I have. 2.01.668; she has 2.01.358. Both of our tool screens say You have the latest software installed. Some body tell us what to do, please.
    08-03-12 10:22 PM
    BBOS 2.0.1.668 has been removed from the update server(s) apparently. Maybe there was a defect in the software causing problems for some BlackBerry PlayBook users?
    08-03-12 10:28 PM
    I did exactly the same as you, redcon1 - and the update was there, and now it's gone....the desktop manager says there are no updates available! SO frustrating..

Could the servers be overloaded? I've been on my Playbook most of the the day and the update appeared this afternoon. It disappeared after I powered down.
    08-03-12 10:55 PM

Could the servers be overloaded?
    Overloaded? I doubt it...
    08-04-12 01:10 AM
    This morning my 16GB Playbook had the icon showing and message showing that there was a SW update available.

Had to go to work, no wifi,so I just powered down until I could update tonight. When I powered my PB back up, the SW update icon is gone. Running 2.01.358, when I check settings it says I have the latest software.

Checked through Desktop Manager also, says no updates available.

Anyone else? Any ideas?
    same here..
    08-04-12 05:29 AM
    Same thing here, had to jump into a plane, just landed and no update anymore
    08-04-12 05:45 AM
    BBOS 2.0.1.668 has been removed from the update server(s) apparently. Maybe there was a defect in the software causing problems for some BlackBerry PlayBook users?
    That would be kind of embarrassing wouldn't it?

The update NOT being the expected 2.1, and maybe broken to boot... I guess we'll get more clues when the update servers come back to see if it offers .668 or a different build.
    08-04-12 06:24 AM
    Wow, this is weird. Glad I'm not the only one, although that fact doesn't make the situation any better!
    08-04-12 06:59 AM
    No you aren't the only one.

I'm getting the distinct impression that the update has been pulled for some reason. If it were any other company I would not think as such but RIM?..... Well it is entirely within the realm of possibility they botched it and while unreported, their support department has been besieged with complaints and help requests and who knows what else so theyy turned the switch back off.

Yes, this would be, if true, yet another red mark on their scorecard. Before the RIM loyalty police hop in here and start beating us with their morale sticks let's reserve judgement and see if something else isn't in play here.
    08-04-12 07:16 AM
    Wow jump to conclusions much? I have the update, no problems. In fact working better. If it was pulled for an issue what issue should I be having?
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    08-04-12 07:24 AM
    My playbook went through the whole update routine when I attached it to my Mac but this morning I see that my OS is still 358 not 668. Like you, I had the update notice on my Playbook but now it is gone.
    08-04-12 07:27 AM
    I can understand your frustration but since I updated on Thursday, I can't check on my unit whether or not the update is still available,

It isn't outside the realm of possibility that there could be a problem with it but I would have expected to see at least one post about said update causing problems from the slew of members who did update on Thursday.

I can't say that I've noticed any change, for good or ill, since installing the update but I never notice a difference after I update Windows on my PC either.

Sorry you are all being unable to update. Maybe someone with more inside information than I will will have some answers for you
    08-04-12 07:31 AM
    Wow jump to conclusions much? I have the update, no problems. In fact working better. If it was pulled for an issue what issue should I be having?
    1960 absolutely not.
    Remember these devices are complex and all the quality control in the world may not matter when it is released to the consumers and it manifests a million tablets instead of 5 in a testing room somewhere.

Look at our experience with phones. Read the forums. Updates are great for some, screwed up for others. Never ever is the experience flawless all the way across the board. And if the update didn't receive the attention it deserved in the r&d department and had some issues... It would exascerbate the problen once it began running on hundreds of thousands of units.

Can an updatr work well for some and be devestating for others? Absolutely, in todays high tech device world. A good example was the recent 2.0 release. In my inner circles it worked fine for most. It bricked my playbook for a few days then mysteriously began working right. On the other end of the spectrum, a good friend of min in one of my pb chats had the tablet totally brick on her beyond restoration and had to have it sent in.
    08-04-12 07:38 AM
    Actually, there were a few reports posted about the OTA update leaving the build in PB filestore after it finished installing... so you "lost" half a gig of your space. It didn't occur if you updated via DM.

Just a guess, but that might be the reason for the update being pulled?
    08-04-12 07:43 AM
    Kb5 and jeep good points. Although the loss of some space isn't devastating it could crunch someone. If it is the space issue then I guess there will be another update.

It is strange how the same hardware and OS can be so different.
    08-04-12 07:49 AM
    Kb5 and jeep good points. Although the loss of some space isn't devastating it could crunch someone. If it is the space issue then I guess there will be another update.

It is strange how the same hardware and OS can be so different.
    I have a theory, fir what ita worth.

I think on a firmware level these devices today are more vulnerable to issues with updates than devices "back in the day". Once upon time the end user didn't modify his OS the way we do now with apps and settings... Like drug interaction with a patient at a hospital. Two people lying next to other in hoapital beds may have different reactions to the same drug administered. Just a hunch.

There may be very subtle hardware differences that contribute... We all have the same specs on our playbooks but not all chipsets and parts manufactured are 100% identical. Two different chinese sweatshops may produce the same stuff but the products boxed up and shipped overseas may not wind up the same.

And on a more optimistic note... Hey, it.could be a problem on the other end. Maybe their OS update delivery systems have had an issue. Who knows.
    kbz1960 and El Cid like this.
    08-04-12 07:57 AM
    I have 668 on my PlayBook.
    08-04-12 08:40 AM
    Just home from hols hopping to update but same as others no update, will keep checking as hoping the bridge messages would start to work.
    08-04-12 03:55 PM
    Just home from hols hopping to update but same as others no update, will keep checking as hoping the bridge messages would start to work.
    I bet it has been pulled.
    El Cid likes this.
    08-04-12 04:01 PM
    Some users are saying they called RIM and we're told it was pulled and to downgrade using dm. Some are having bad battery drain and excessive heat. So far I don't have those issues on. 668 so I'm not downgrading.
    08-04-12 04:20 PM
    Some users are saying they called RIM and we're told it was pulled and to downgrade using dm. Some are having bad battery drain and excessive heat. So far I don't have those issues on. 668 so I'm not downgrading.
    Aaaaaaah i told you haha

I highly suspected there have been a barrage of consumer complaints. Guess im glad I didnt have to experience it.
    El Cid likes this.
    08-04-12 04:27 PM
    I'm not having those issues either so I'm gonna hold off. Really don't want to have to go thru all that. This absolutely blows my mind tho. They finally release something and then pull it within a day because it's not working correctly. Ridiculous in my opinion.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-04-12 04:34 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD