Every since I updated to OS 2.1 on my PlayBook and Bridge 2.1, I have noticed that the little "data arrows" on my 9900 (upper right corner of screen) are almost always on now. I activated my BlackBerry Device Analyzer Data Usage and in about 3 hours have received 22 MB of data and sent 500KB. This is very unusual, since I haven't done anything out of the ordinary.... and usually only use a maybe 50KB an hour (both ways).

Then it occurred to me.... is the new OS 2.1 and updated Bridge transmitting data through Wi-Fi in a different way? When I disconnect Wi-Fi, the data transmission stops (i.e. it is not transmitting through 4G)..

Any ideas?
    10-04-12 10:51 AM
    I suspect it's the bridge wifi. It would be nice if the DA could show the difference.
    10-04-12 11:03 AM
    No...turned off the bridge....an hour later I'm up to 55mb downloaded through wi-fi. What is the 9900 doing?
    10-04-12 12:02 PM
    Do you have an email account with folder support setup on the PlayBook? I uspdated my wife's PlayBook yesterday and gave it to her over lunch. When she came home she mentioned her phone battery got drained quite quickly. When I looked at the data use on the phone, about 115mb was transferred within a minute or too of her meeting me for lunch.

She has her work Microsoft Exchange email setup on her PlayBook and when she got close enough for the Bridge to connect, it must have started syncing these folders. Luckily, I also brought her a PlayBook charger to use in her office, so she was able to turn off the bluetooth to stop the data use and then charge her phone.

Edit:

Just reread your post. Perhaps it is still related to email folders but the 2.1 app syncing the folders may change something in them and cause the phone to have to resync the folders too.
    Last edited by robsteve; 10-04-12 at 12:11 PM.
    10-04-12 12:08 PM
    I don't think that this is related to 2.1. This happens even when Bridge is off. I will keep investigating.
    10-04-12 12:57 PM
    I got the same thing last night. I never saw this happen until the update either.
    My 9930 had the data icon on solid until I ran out of battery. I had just setup my Gmail and Hotmail on the Playbook to see if the "battery drain" bug was gone, but it remains. I was not on wifi at the time.
    10-04-12 01:12 PM
    now that's wierd. because my 9930 was draining the battery a lot before the update. am really liking not having the drain.
    10-04-12 01:21 PM
    cleveland216-- so are you saying your PB was not on wifi, and using the BB for it's data connection? I want to say that if so, it was probably syncing the mail data through your BB, no?

I updated to 2.1 on the PB and my blackberry hasn't done much differently and I sync exchange from the PB although I'm always on wifi and I don't tether to my BB at all.
    10-04-12 01:34 PM
    nope, no wifi, on Bridge data the whole time. I was sitting in my dentist office. (I was wasting time adding my emails to my Playbook to see if the battery would start draining if set for Manual sync. See my sig.)

Manual sync means it should not be syncing anything, at least that what I thought. But soon after I added my emails the PB is notifying me of a new email > AND the PB battery started draining > (see my sig, so bug still remains)

AND an hour later coming home from the dentist I saw that my 9930 battery was drained, completely. >

I see 3 problems:
    1. PB battery drains on Push turned off, and Manual sync turned on (bug since OS2)
    2. Manual Sync really is not "manual" (notifications still appear).
    3. Bold 9930 battery is drained due to constant data usage

haha, once we figure this out I will have a new sig!!
    10-04-12 02:02 PM
    I have no idea what's going on. My 9900 has downloaded over 120 MB of data in about 8 hours! Only on Wi-Fi. When I turn Wi-Fi off, the data download stops. This only started when I updated to OS 2.1 and/or Bridge 2.1.

What is going on?! There is nothing running in the background and I installed no new apps, except Bridge.
    10-04-12 03:50 PM
    Edit:

Just reread your post. Perhaps it is still related to email folders but the 2.1 app syncing the folders may change something in them and cause the phone to have to resync the folders too.
    Hmmmm.... no idea. I see the logic and have a gut feeling that this is what's going on. Thank goodness it only does this through Wi-Fi! Otherwise, this could cost someone a fortune on a limited data plan... I have 6GB.
    10-04-12 03:55 PM
    Hmmmm.... no idea. I see the logic and have a gut feeling that this is what's going on. Thank goodness it only does this through Wi-Fi! Otherwise, this could cost someone a fortune on a limited data plan... I have 6GB.
    Matt, total shot in the dark, but when I recently upgraded to 7.1 with AT&T, my phone now has the Mobile Hotspot feature (Manage Connections/Mobile Hotspot). Any chance yours is now On, and someone/something is linked to your phone's WiFi?
    10-04-12 04:13 PM
    Matt, total shot in the dark, but when I recently upgraded to 7.1 with AT&T, my phone now has the Mobile Hotspot feature (Manage Connections/Mobile Hotspot). Any chance yours is now On, and someone/something is linked to your phone's WiFi?
    No, Hotpot is off. This data consumption has been going at home and, now, at work. Only when Wi-Fi is activated. Up to 150MB now!
    10-04-12 04:16 PM
    No, Hotpot is off. This data consumption has been going at home and, now, at work. Only when Wi-Fi is activated. Up to 150MB now!
    Did you do a Battery Pull or similar, just to shut the thing down?
    10-04-12 04:23 PM
    I have the same problem here, but with wi fi off.
    Battery drains @12% per hour when playbook is connected, even if it is in stand by. With old version of bridge I was regularly @2%!
    I confirm problem seems to be with data usage, and I don't have any exchange mailbox configured on PB native mail. I just have my hotmail box and use bridge for office mailbox.
    I am really frustrated.

Inviato dal mio BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps usando Tapatalk
    10-05-12 02:02 AM
    Well, my data drain stopped. I suspect that it did indeed have something to do with the syncing of my mail folders on my 9900. I suspect that when I updated to OS 2.1 on my PlayBook, it started refreshing my folders on my PlayBook which then required the 9900 to do the same. It took about 24 hours to complete, and only when connected to Wi-Fi.... 150 MB later, it was done.

Just watch for this if you have a limited data plan.... it seems to work through Wi-Fi, but watch for it nonetheless.
    Stephen_TX likes this.
    10-05-12 05:31 AM
    Well, my data drain stopped. I suspect that it did indeed have something to do with the syncing of my mail folders on my 9900. I suspect that when I updated to OS 2.1 on my PlayBook, it started refreshing my folders on my PlayBook which then required the 9900 to do the same. It took about 24 hours to complete, and only when connected to Wi-Fi.... 150 MB later, it was done.

Just watch for this if you have a limited data plan.... it seems to work through Wi-Fi, but watch for it nonetheless.
    Thanks Matt - good thing to remember.
    10-05-12 08:24 AM
    Well, did some trials and I am pretty sure the problem is related to bridging with PlayBook, but not sure it's the new version of BB bridge. I downgraded to rroy's earlier version, but the problem still persists.
    Then I wiped the device and did a fresh install. Tomorrow will be able to test.
    10-05-12 03:57 PM
    I'm also having the same issues.. seems to stop if i turn off wifi or delete bridge.. Matt J, is the data consumption still off? I've had mine on over night and it still is downloading something. I'm on a 9790 with OS 7.1, Cisco router.
    10-06-12 02:15 PM
    I also noticed that the data consumption continues even if i unplug the internet cable from the router..
    10-06-12 05:30 PM
    I'm also having the same issues.. seems to stop if i turn off wifi or delete bridge.. Matt J, is the data consumption still off? I've had mine on over night and it still is downloading something. I'm on a 9790 with OS 7.1, Cisco router.
    No, the data consumption is ongoing. I thought it stopped, but it does look like this is data being transmitted through bridge. It does not appear to be consuming cellular data. It is probably the Wi-Fi bridge feature.
    10-09-12 06:04 PM
    No, the data consumption is ongoing. I thought it stopped, but it does look like this is data being transmitted through bridge. It does not appear to be consuming cellular data. It is probably the Wi-Fi bridge feature.
    It's not as bad when I'm at work..only really continuous and fast at home and I'm finding it is draining my battery very fast . What kind of router do you have. I have a cisco dpc 3825 modem router.
    10-10-12 11:02 AM
    It's not as bad when I'm at work..only really continuous and fast at home and I'm finding it is draining my battery very fast . What kind of router do you have. I have a cisco dpc 3825 modem router.
    I'm using an older Linksys WRT54G 1.1 router. The main issue with this seems to be the additional strain it is placing on the 9900's battery. It seems to always be "pinging" the PlayBook, even if there is not actual bridge activity....
    10-10-12 11:30 AM
    b
    I'm using an older Linksys WRT54G 1.1 router. The main issue with this seems to be the additional strain it is placing on the 9900's battery. It seems to always be "pinging" the PlayBook, even if there is not actual bridge activity....
    Yes, its exactly the same thing but the only issue is that I can't even report it on the support website for bridge, its been removed.. so I don't know what to do.. I tweeted Michael Clewely but he never responded.

I managed to find an address I can email.. I'll see what they say and report back on here.
    10-10-12 12:28 PM
    b

Yes, its exactly the same thing but the only issue is that I can't even report it on the support website for bridge, its been removed.. so I don't know what to do.. I tweeted Michael Clewely but he never responded.
    A simple test would be for all PlayBook users that are bridged to BlackBerry phones to check for the "data consumption arrows" at the top-right of their screen. I suspect that since OS 2.1 and Bridge 2.1, these arrows are going non-stop when bridged. I imagine that before Wi-Fi bridge, the same thing was going on through Bluetooth, but we never noticed it because if wasn't consider measurable data.

I think that battery consumption seems to be higher now.... Technical Question: Does Wi-Fi consume more power than Bluetooth? If so, the added speed of Bridge through Wi-Fi might not be worth the extra battery drain.
    10-10-12 12:35 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD