Obvious to us as tech enthusiasts, perhaps, but what about the general consumer? People are arguing that consumers need to research before buying. Fine. So a consumer does his research and discovers that the PlayBook will provide the "full web." He also learns that he can connect to his phone through Bridge. So he buys the PlayBook. And only then he discovers that the Bridge Browser is horrible and doesn't really provide a satisfactory "full web" experience.

How is this the consumer's fault again?
    If that customer was intelligent enough to do his own research, you would have understood that "full web" doesn't literally mean being able to flawlessly load every single page on the Web.

"Bridge browser is horrible". Well, for some other people, it is acceptable. So what? I bought an iPod Touch and discovered with usage that the tracking of some mp3 files was buggy and the browser always crashes on same web pages. So, it's not perfect and some functions didn't always perform properly. Big deal! This is called managing expectations and being reasonable. In any case, if it's really a big deal, you can return the product.

Should all company reps start reading out 40 pages of fineprints everytime they say something? Why didn't Steve Job and Apple get sued because their products aren't really magical or revolutionary (in some people's eyes) as they claimed in ads? They said it "changes everything again". Oh but it's not really and literally "everything". Should we sue them then?
    Last edited by Intosh; 05-24-11 at 01:26 PM.
    05-24-11 01:20 PM
    If that customer was intelligent enough to do his own research, you would have understood that "full web" doesn't literally mean being able to flawlessly load every single page on the Web.
    So you are suggesting that "full web" really doesn't mean "full web?" Really? ...
    05-24-11 01:27 PM
    If that customer was intelligent enough to do his own research, you would have understood that "full web" doesn't literally mean being able to flawlessly load every single page on the Web..
    WOW! Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong about what "full" means..

Websters says:

a: complete especially in detail, number, or duration <a full report> <gone a full hour> <my full share> b: lacking restraint, check, or qualification <full retreat> <full support> c: having all distinguishing characteristics : enjoying all authorized rights and privileges <full member> <full professor> d: not lacking in any essential : perfect <in full control of your senses>

So it does "literally" mean that is should and is advertised as being able to deliver a full web experience.

Folks I like the Playbook and will not be taking it back. But some folks need to
    pull their heads out of the sand and see things as they are.

What scares me is the lack of true concern, truthfulness and openness from RIM.
    Perhaps the pending lawsuit from investors has some legitimate points if RIM
    treated them the same way they are treating us right now.

Tim
    05-24-11 01:29 PM
    So you are suggesting that "full web" really doesn't mean "full web?" Really? ...
    You mean "magical" doesn't really mean "magical"?

WOW! Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong about what "full" means..

Websters says:

a: complete especially in detail, number, or duration <a full report> <gone a full hour> <my full share> b: lacking restraint, check, or qualification <full retreat> <full support> c: having all distinguishing characteristics : enjoying all authorized rights and privileges <full member> <full professor> d: not lacking in any essential : perfect <in full control of your senses>

So it does "literally" mean that is should and is advertised as being able to deliver a full web experience.

Folks I like the Playbook and will not be taking it back. But some folks need to
    pull their heads out of the sand and see things as they are.

What scares me is the lack of true concern, truthfulness and openness from RIM.
    Perhaps the pending lawsuit from investors has some legitimate points if RIM
    treated them the same way they are treating us right now.

Tim
    Do the same exercise with "magical" this time.
    05-24-11 01:33 PM
    Quote Mike Lazaridis " Your already have an account, your already paying for it" "You don't need new data plan"

Then there is this:

I have confirmed at the BlackBerry PlayBook launch event yesterday that the BlackBerry Bridge will also allow users to browse the web! Through the BlackBerry Bridge users will be able to browse both Internet (BIS) and Intranet (BES) websites through the connection to their BlackBerry smartphone. This traffic will be piped to the RIM NOC APN directly just like BlackBerry smartphone traffic. That means you will be able to browse the web without a tethering data plan!

Also please expian why the Bridge browser has flash in it and the option to turn it on/off just like the regular browser?

Tim
    It's true you don't need a data plan. Where does he promise you any kind of speed?

As for the bridge browser have flash in it as an option, I believe that is part of the os for the PB. The bridge is exactly as it is. A "bridge" a bonus connection between your PB and BB. It lets the PB be part of an extension to your phone like a monitor.

PB on its own is a different creature and tethering makes it act differently as well.

I agree that the bridge for all intents and purpose is slow, but really is there somewhere that the bridge promised certain speeds or did we just make an assumption because we see how fast the PB is on wi-fi?

Last I check assumptions are not promises and they're nobody's issues except our own.
    aghs likes this.
    05-24-11 01:34 PM
    This was posted by Crackberry.com itself:

The Bridge Browser allows you to, you guessed it, browse the web, and the way it acts is based on the same concept as the other apps � it�s a mirror connection of what�s on your BlackBerry Smartphone. So instead of web browsing via the dial up networking connection, which the carriers could track and charge tethering charges for, with the Bridge Browser it�s really your phone doing the actual browsing (it�s as if you were holding your phone in your hand and visiting the website), but thanks to the Bridge connection your PlayBook gets to display that mirrored copy of the content on your PlayBook, which you get to view and interact with just the same as if you were tethered and using the standard browser on the device. So while you can think of it as free tethering, it�s not really tethering in the traditional dial up networking sense, but it�s accomplishing the same thing. You�re browsing the web thanks to your BlackBerry Smartphone. It�s a sneaky trick that carriers are going to HATE, but it�s awesome for consumers.

Tim
    05-24-11 01:42 PM
    Just received the following response from RIM.

Concerning error when backing up applications from the PB via DM:

First I would like to address the issue you had contacted us about in the past. I understand that you are unable to create a full backup of your tablet onto your computer. According to the log files that you has sent us in your second ticket you are experiencing an issue that we are aware of and are working toward a solution for. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this has cause for you and I do regret to say that I do not have any additional information on this issue at this time. All I can suggest at this point in time is the work around that was described to you earlier. If you perform a custom backup, I highly recommend backing up all data except for your applications. Applications account for the vast majority of used space and they can always be re downloaded. You can expect this issue to be fixed, however I do not have a time frame for when this issue can be expected to be fixed.

Concerning the slowness of the Bridge brower that the CEO said would eliminate the need to a second Internet connection. The full web experience I think he said:

You also had mentioned that you are unsatisfied with the speed of the Bridge Browser. Please keep in mind that when you are using 3G on your smartphone to browse the Internet, you are usually viewing the mobile version of these websites which are tailored to be less taxing on your data usage, therefore they load faster. Your PlayBook on the other hand very rarely utilizes the mobile version of websites. They are loading the flash elements of websites and all of those extra pictures that make the website more visually appealing. The Bridge Browser is using your smartphone's network essentially, which is not meant to load as many visuals. I do apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause. As 4G becomes more readily available this issue will be resolved.
    At this time media files cannot be shared using the Bridge files function. This feature should be added in through a tablet software update, however I do not have a release date for the next BlackBerry PlayBook software update at this time.

Seems they have no ideas when the backup issue will be fixed and the fix they propose for the crapy bridge browser speed is buy a new phone with 4g.
    The later is lame as i can tether just fine at 3g speeds.

Seems RIM is still not real concerned with the folks that have a PB in their hands right now.

Had I known this would be the case I would not of purchased the damn thing.

Tim
    You are a grown man and this really bothers you that much?

No offence, but if I started telling a story like that to a friend of mine I'd hope they'd tell me to grow a pair and HTFU.
    05-24-11 01:48 PM
    You are a grown man and this really bothers you that much?

No offence, but if I started telling a story like that to a friend of mine I'd hope they'd tell me to grow a pair and HTFU.

No offense, but I couldn't care less what your friend said.

I purchased the PB for the reason of being able to drop the tethering plan. I used it on my notebook.

I based my purchase on the comments from Crackberry's posting as well as RIMs.

So **** yes it bothers me to spend $500 then have to spend another $29 a month for the tethering, once again.

Tim

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 05-24-11 at 01:59 PM.
    05-24-11 01:52 PM
    This isnt even worth responding too really and should be struck from the thread.

Tim
    You're probably right and I probably shouldn't have written it, but honestly the way you are carrying on, quoting this and that (i.e. CrackBerry, as if they are responsible for the device!), nitpicking and whining about your Bridge Browser not performing to expectations that people have explained you've conjured up in your head, well I just can't believe you're being serious.

Is there no part of you that can take responsibility for your choices as a consumer? Is this entire 'fiasco' all somebody else's fault and nothing to do with you?

Unbelievable.
    05-24-11 01:59 PM
    You're probably right and I probably shouldn't have written it, but honestly the way you are carrying on, quoting this and that (i.e. CrackBerry, as if they are responsible for the device!), nitpicking and whining about your Bridge Browser not performing to expectations that people have explained you've conjured up in your head, well I just can't believe you're being serious.

Is there no part of you that can take responsibility for your choices as a consumer? Is this entire 'fiasco' all somebody else's fault and nothing to do with you?

Unbelievable.
    And you havent read all my postings....here let me show you what Crackberry posted in their review of the PB...read slowely and try to say this is all in my head...

The Bridge Browser allows you to, you guessed it, browse the web, and the way it acts is based on the same concept as the other apps � it�s a mirror connection of what�s on your BlackBerry Smartphone. So instead of web browsing via the dial up networking connection, which the carriers could track and charge tethering charges for, with the Bridge Browser it�s really your phone doing the actual browsing (it�s as if you were holding your phone in your hand and visiting the website), but thanks to the Bridge connection your PlayBook gets to display that mirrored copy of the content on your PlayBook, which you get to view and interact with just the same as if you were tethered and using the standard browser on the device. So while you can think of it as free tethering, it�s not really tethering in the traditional dial up networking sense, but it�s accomplishing the same thing. You�re browsing the web thanks to your BlackBerry Smartphone. It�s a sneaky trick that carriers are going to HATE, but it�s awesome for consumers.

So is this all in my head?

Tim
    05-24-11 02:04 PM
    I have said what I wanted to say and it is not worth any more of my time
    posting here about it as some see and hear but others deny and lie.

Tim
    05-24-11 02:05 PM
    Tim,

Then your issue is with CrackBerry. On this I say to you that RIM cannot be responsible for what a 3rd party writes about that device. Same as if I write a review that misleads you, then your issue is whether or not you agree with me.

As for the rest of it, either take it back, get over it or sue RIM. Or HTFU.

EDIT: Just seen your above post - I deny and lie about nothing. I am just astounded that someone can be so petty about this!
    05-24-11 02:10 PM
    Seems they have no ideas when the backup issue will be fixed and the fix they propose for the crapy bridge browser speed is buy a new phone with 4g.
    A 4G phone won't help the bridge at all. You're still limited to the speed of BlueTooth. On a good day under the best of circumstances, BlueTooth is at best barely comparable to 3G speeds.
    05-24-11 02:28 PM
    i think it very simple. If you a buy a product and it doesn't perform as you expect you return it and get your money back. It doesn't take too long to figure out the bridge browser is not the level of the standard wifi browser.
    05-24-11 02:30 PM
    - Expecting a wifi and 3G experience to be the same is pretty unrealistic.

- Expecting a specific date from a vendor for a software upgrade is also unrealistic.

It all boils down to expectations. I had no delusions of a fast web experience using the Bridge Browser, and for my needs, it is great.

I use the PB Bridge Browser mainly to browse my companies internal websites (intranet, RSA server, printers/copiers, etc.) without needing to get to a PC to make a VPN connection.
    05-24-11 03:47 PM
    And you havent read all my postings....here let me show you what Crackberry posted in their review of the PB...read slowely and try to say this is all in my head...

So is this all in my head?

Tim
    Well as has been said that crackberry said that. So what happens when an update does make the bridge browser just as good as the wifi one? You know they are working on updates, they just aren't coming fast enough for people.
    05-24-11 05:08 PM
    - Expecting a wifi and 3G experience to be the same is pretty unrealistic.

- Expecting a specific date from a vendor for a software upgrade is also unrealistic.

It all boils down to expectations. I had no delusions of a fast web experience using the Bridge Browser, and for my needs, it is great.

I use the PB Bridge Browser mainly to browse my companies internal websites (intranet, RSA server, printers/copiers, etc.) without needing to get to a PC to make a VPN connection.
    Calling an amateur 700$ tablet with so many shortcoming "PRofessional Grade Tablet" is also unrealistic. Its a big lie to professional customers, insulting our intellegence.
    05-24-11 05:16 PM
    The 4g excuse seems like bull dung to me. As the original poster said, he can tether just fine. I can add supporting statements to that as well since I tether with EDGE and it is faster than the bridge browser (which I no longer attempt to use at all) Everything on bridge is SLOW. i would buy that it is an issue with bluetooth or something before I buy that it's because it is ONLY 3g. 3G and EDGE tethered work just fine, albeit not as fast as wireless, but that is to be expected. There is something not quite right about the BRIDGE aspect altogether.
    05-24-11 05:17 PM
    I'm so thankful I'm not type A/OCD. If the op doesnt like it, take the damn thing back. I'm running out of cheese.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    05-24-11 10:00 PM
    I've noticed in this fast moving technology world that we live in, things aren't always what they seem. In most cases items get better with TIME. When I decided to purchase the PlayBook I did extensive research on several tablets and decided the PlayBook filled my needs the most, with the ability to "GROW". No one was at the store twisting my arm and telling me,"you better by this product NOW". I made that decision to BUY the PlayBook knowing it was incomplete. I'm writing this to say, I can't blame anyone but ME, constantly complaining about things I was already aware of is useless and tiresome. I had several choices, and I choose to grow with the PlayBook by purchasing it near the release date instead of waiting. If your that unhappy go elsewhere, but give us happy PlayBook owners a break and take your constant complaining somewhere else. Its getting old and annoying
    05-24-11 11:01 PM
    [QUOTE=spencerdl;6357587]I've noticed in this fast moving technology world that we live in, things aren't always what they seem. In most cases items get better with TIME. When I decided to purchase the PlayBook I did extensive research on several tablets and decided the PlayBook filled my needs the most, with the ability to "GROW". No one was at the store twisting my arm and telling me,"you better by this product NOW". I made that decision to BUY the PlayBook knowing it was incomplete. I'm writing this to say, I can't blame anyone but ME, constantly complaining about things I was already aware of is useless and tiresome. I had several choices, and I choose to grow with the PlayBook by purchasing it near the release date instead of waiting. If your that unhappy go elsewhere, but give us happy PlayBook owners a break and take your constant complaining somewhere else. Its getting old and annoying[/QUO

Bummer.

Tim
    05-24-11 11:19 PM
    Calling an amateur 700$ tablet with so many shortcoming "PRofessional Grade Tablet" is also unrealistic. Its a big lie to professional customers, insulting our intellegence.
    The company I work has many deployed for pro use. So looks like it's "pro grade" to me. What you gonna do, "intelligent" man? Sue RIM because it's not "pro" (whatever that means) to some people?

If you're stupid enough to go anal with marketing slogans then you deserve to be insulted.
    05-25-11 01:21 AM
    insulting our intellegence.
    You do pretty well on your own...
    05-25-11 01:26 AM
    I am a support rep for a different device. I can tell you that at least as far as my company goes, we aren't told about updates until they are released. We also can't give ETA's on when bugs will be fixed because WE DON'T KNOW. We, like the end user, have to wait until the programmers fix the issue. Trust me, we get just as frustrated as you do, in fact more so because we have deal with all the abuse we get from the users who want everything NOW and if they can't get it right this minute, start threatening us and swearing at us. Support reps are human too.
    Yeah not the best job in the world, costumer handling. Support function. Answering desperate calls etc.
    So what is generally people complains about pb? Asking for updates? Things not working? Or what?
    05-25-11 07:58 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD