Just received the following response from RIM.

Concerning error when backing up applications from the PB via DM:

First I would like to address the issue you had contacted us about in the past. I understand that you are unable to create a full backup of your tablet onto your computer. According to the log files that you has sent us in your second ticket you are experiencing an issue that we are aware of and are working toward a solution for. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this has cause for you and I do regret to say that I do not have any additional information on this issue at this time. All I can suggest at this point in time is the work around that was described to you earlier. If you perform a custom backup, I highly recommend backing up all data except for your applications. Applications account for the vast majority of used space and they can always be re downloaded. You can expect this issue to be fixed, however I do not have a time frame for when this issue can be expected to be fixed.

Concerning the slowness of the Bridge brower that the CEO said would eliminate the need to a second Internet connection. The full web experience I think he said:

You also had mentioned that you are unsatisfied with the speed of the Bridge Browser. Please keep in mind that when you are using 3G on your smartphone to browse the Internet, you are usually viewing the mobile version of these websites which are tailored to be less taxing on your data usage, therefore they load faster. Your PlayBook on the other hand very rarely utilizes the mobile version of websites. They are loading the flash elements of websites and all of those extra pictures that make the website more visually appealing. The Bridge Browser is using your smartphone's network essentially, which is not meant to load as many visuals. I do apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause. As 4G becomes more readily available this issue will be resolved.
    At this time media files cannot be shared using the Bridge files function. This feature should be added in through a tablet software update, however I do not have a release date for the next BlackBerry PlayBook software update at this time.

Seems they have no ideas when the backup issue will be fixed and the fix they propose for the crapy bridge browser speed is buy a new phone with 4g.
    The later is lame as i can tether just fine at 3g speeds.

Seems RIM is still not real concerned with the folks that have a PB in their hands right now.

Had I known this would be the case I would not of purchased the damn thing.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 05-24-11 at 11:17 AM.
    05-24-11 11:15 AM
    Don't put too much value in what any support rep tells you. While I understand your sentiments, don't lose sleep over a support rep giving you the cold shoulder. That's a typical response.
    offthahorseceo and Fonz0 like this.
    05-24-11 11:19 AM
    i wouldnt read too far into the not giving a time for an update, thats more a case of company policy not to say when updates will happen, as if theres a issue and they dont release it on that day then you`ll simply email them again saying day x has passed, wheres my update?

thats the way i see it at least, i cant see why any major company is going to tell you when their next update is and nobody else. they are obviously aware of the issues, and have said they are working on them, without being unrealistic and thinking they can snap their fingers and have it all fixed, its fair that they would need time correct such issues.
    05-24-11 11:24 AM
    It's more to the point that they don't have the info. Until the release of the update, support won't know. As for the Bridge Browser,they are spot on. When you use Bridge, you are viewing the browser from your BB, more or less. There is a newer thread that discusses best use for Bridge Browser. First and foremost, use mobile sites. And also, 4G will help quite a bit. I know it's not what you want to hear, but let me know when you can do that with another current market tablet.
    05-24-11 11:27 AM
    what the OP is saying is that when he tethers instead of using the bridge, his speeds are much faster. the network isnt the issue, the bluetooth connection or the bridge is the bottleneck. To tether you must pay for a seperate data plan which is not in line with what was advertised.

As far as support knowing what they are talking about, they usually dont. We have customers come in asking for a free sim card replacement. when we ask whats wrong with the sim, they say they have a phone that wont ring loudly enough, support exhausts all options then says "go to the store for a sim replacement"
    05-24-11 11:34 AM
    Microsoft gives updates the second Tuesday of every month. As far as 4g can you show me a 4g blackberry???
    05-24-11 11:36 AM
    bluetooth tethering is far different from bridge browsing though, as its running through the main browser not the bridge browser. so the bridge browser is obviously the issue, however its going to load it at a max the same speed your device would. also if we were to be real picky, they said it would work. it does. they didnt say how fast slow or ideifferent it would be, but of course thats not the point and i get that, they`ve said they are working on it, what more can they do?
    05-24-11 11:38 AM
    when we ask whats wrong with the sim, they say they have a phone that wont ring loudly enough, support exhausts all options then says "go to the store for a sim replacement"
    They tell customers to get a SIM replacement? Wow. That's actually really, really pathetic.
    05-24-11 11:50 AM
    tell me about it. and for some reason the customers believe it, they come asking for slim sims stem stims etc card. and when we tell em thats not the problem, they insist support told em so.
    05-24-11 11:52 AM
    what the OP is saying is that when he tethers instead of using the bridge, his speeds are much faster. the network isnt the issue, the bluetooth connection or the bridge is the bottleneck. To tether you must pay for a seperate data plan which is not in line with what was advertised.

As far as support knowing what they are talking about, they usually dont. We have customers come in asking for a free sim card replacement. when we ask whats wrong with the sim, they say they have a phone that wont ring loudly enough, support exhausts all options then says "go to the store for a sim replacement"
    I don't think the issue is the bluetooth as the tethering runs via bluetooth from the phone to the PB and that is nice and fast.

I agree, that is not what they are advertising concerning no need for a second "tethering" account. False advertising?

Right from their own website:
    BlackBerry - PlayBook Is Here - New BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - BlackBerry Tablet

"With the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, you get access to the full web, not a scaled down mobile version.Games, media, apps and all the rich content the real Internet has to offer
    Full Adobe� Flash� 10.1 enabled
    Built-in support for HTML 5
    No-compromise rendering of text, graphics and video

It does not say except with the Bridge browser.

From another website:

Essentially this boils down to the fact that with the BlackBerry Bridge and a BlackBerry Smartphone you will be able to perform all the following functions without tethering:
    1.Read and respond to your email
    2.Place a new calendar entry and have it synched to BES or Gmail/Yahoo
    3.Chat with friends on BBM
    4.And last but not least browse the web

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 05-24-11 at 01:34 PM.
    05-24-11 11:59 AM
    They are obviously talking about the standard browser on WIFI. If you really thought it was going to do all that through your BB for free and the carriers would allow it, then I don't know what to say... The part you quoted doesn't refer to Bridge Browser in any way. You made that leap yourself. Also, show us the quote about "no need for a second "tethering" account."...

Test the speed of the other tablet brands Bridge Browser... Oh that's right, this was a little something extra that RIM provided. Bridge Browser was never touted as a full connection experience. If its so bad, don't use it and you'll be on par with the other WIFI tablets...
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 05-24-11 at 12:11 PM.
    piper975 and kbz1960 like this.
    05-24-11 12:05 PM
    They are obviously talking about the standard browser on WIFI. If you really thought it was going to do all that through your BB for free and the carriers would allow it, then I don't know what to say...
    Obvious to us as tech enthusiasts, perhaps, but what about the general consumer? People are arguing that consumers need to research before buying. Fine. So a consumer does his research and discovers that the PlayBook will provide the "full web." He also learns that he can connect to his phone through Bridge. So he buys the PlayBook. And only then he discovers that the Bridge Browser is horrible and doesn't really provide a satisfactory "full web" experience.

How is this the consumer's fault again?
    Last edited by ifarlow; 05-24-11 at 12:12 PM.
    05-24-11 12:10 PM
    They are obviously talking about the standard browser on WIFI. If you really thought it was going to do all that through your BB for free and the carriers would allow it, then I don't know what to say...
    I'm not the one that said it, RIM said, the CEO said it that a second Internet connection would not be needed for a rich web experience.

Quote Mike Lazaridis " Your already have an account, your already paying for it" "You don't need new data plan"

You need to go back and see what they said as it is clear your either have forgot it or choose not to remember it.

And on the page I linked above it is NOT obvious..

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 05-24-11 at 12:21 PM.
    05-24-11 12:12 PM
    I don't think the issue is the bluetooth as the tethering runs via bluetooth from the phone to the PB and that is nice and fast.

I agree, that is not what they are advertising concerning no need for a second "tethering" account. False advertising?

Right from their own website:
    BlackBerry - PlayBook Is Here - New BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - BlackBerry Tablet

"With the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, you get access to the full web, not a scaled down mobile version.Games, media, apps and all the rich content the real Internet has to offer
    Full Adobe� Flash� 10.1 enabled
    Built-in support for HTML 5
    No-compromise rendering of text, graphics and video

It does not say except with the Bridge browser.

Tim
    But it being called "BRIDGE" browser would imply it is different.
    05-24-11 12:13 PM
    That page says NOTHING about Bridge Browser, RIM NEVER said that you would get everything on the web and connect to it for free. You're making stuff up and/or skewing it to want you want...

You should call up your "lawyer", again, for a false advertising claim, except for the little fact that they never made the claims you claim...
    Toddboy71 likes this.
    05-24-11 12:15 PM
    i agree with ifarlow and trsbbs but i also agree with thescionic man in that this is just a bonus. RIM shouldnt tout the bridge feature for web-surfing as its next to useless for that. It should be considered a bonus feature that even when your playbook is not in a wifi area it can still get online unlike other wifi only tablets
    05-24-11 12:18 PM
    I'd not be surprised to find the slowness of the bridge browsing has more to do with the phone than the PB. What will really be interesting to see is if the Bold 99xx phones work much better for this, having a much faster processor and more memory. As well as be engineered and optimized for the bridge pairing (I am guessing).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-11 12:19 PM
    That page says NOTHING about Bridge Browser, RIM NEVER said that you would get everything on the web and connect to it for free. You're making stuff up and/or skewing it to want you want...

You should call up your "lawyer", again, for a false advertising claim, except for the little fact that they never made the claims you claim...
    Quote Mike Lazaridis " Your already have an account, your already paying for it" "You don't need new data plan"

Then there is this:

I have confirmed at the BlackBerry PlayBook launch event yesterday that the BlackBerry Bridge will also allow users to browse the web! Through the BlackBerry Bridge users will be able to browse both Internet (BIS) and Intranet (BES) websites through the connection to their BlackBerry smartphone. This traffic will be piped to the RIM NOC APN directly just like BlackBerry smartphone traffic. That means you will be able to browse the web without a tethering data plan!

Also please expian why the Bridge browser has flash in it and the option to turn it on/off just like the regular browser?

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 05-24-11 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Found more
    05-24-11 12:23 PM
    I'd not be surprised to find the slowness of the bridge browsing has more to do with the phone than the PB. What will really be interesting to see is if the Bold 99xx phones work much better for this, having a much faster processor and more memory. As well as be engineered and optimized for the bridge pairing (I am guessing).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    your probably right that newer devices will be faster, however iv never seen rim say the bridge browser would be fast, slow or normal, which is whats being questioned here, support have answered the OP with a legitimate answer saying they are looking into it. thats pretty much all anyone can do isnt it?
    05-24-11 12:23 PM
    Obvious to us as tech enthusiasts, perhaps, but what about the general consumer? People are arguing that consumers need to research before buying. Fine. So a consumer does his research and discovers that the PlayBook will provide the "full web." He also learns that he can connect to his phone through Bridge. So he buys the PlayBook. And only then he discovers that the Bridge Browser is horrible and doesn't really provide a satisfactory "full web" experience.

How is this the consumer's fault again?
    I'm sorry but I do not see how any consumer would make the leap that is being made here. The blame is misplaced - complain to the carrier that charges for tethering. RIM gave us the ability to do so when WIFI wasn't available. Seems completely reasonable to assume that it would not be the same experience via the phone's data plan as it would through a full WIFI signal. Any consumer making that leap should have someone else do their shopping for them.
    05-24-11 12:28 PM

Also please expian why the Bridge browser has flash in it and the option to turn it on/off just like the regular browser?

Tim
    He is exactly right, I don't need a new data plan. Will it be the same as someone that purchases the extra throughput? Clearly not. It would be akin to arguing that if I am using a 56k modem it should be the same as my FiOS simply because I have it.

I would assume that the Bridge Browser has it so that you can adjust depending on if you have the additional plan or not, or you have 4g or do not, or your service is just much better in some areas than in others. Again, if I am on dial up I am going to turn off heavy media and turn it back on when I am on a good strong data stream.
    05-24-11 12:32 PM
    I'm sorry but I do not see how any consumer would make the leap that is being made here. The blame is misplaced - complain to the carrier that charges for tethering. RIM gave us the ability to do so when WIFI wasn't available. Seems completely reasonable to assume that it would not be the same experience via the phone's data plan as it would through a full WIFI signal. Any consumer making that leap should have someone else do their shopping for them.
    This is how.

"Confirmed at the BlackBerry PlayBook launch event yesterday that the BlackBerry Bridge will also allow users to browse the web! Through the BlackBerry Bridge users will be able to browse both Internet (BIS) and Intranet (BES) websites through the connection to their BlackBerry smartphone. This traffic will be piped to the RIM NOC APN directly just like BlackBerry smartphone traffic. That means you will be able to browse the web without a tethering data plan!

Tim
    05-24-11 12:42 PM
    A few weeks ago at Blackberry World, the RIM reps during their interviews had all adopted the "sometime this summer" mantra for virtually everything. And it was clear that they had embarked on this communications strategy -- to throw everything into an amorphous blob to be dealt with over the summer, even though it was clear that some of blob is comprised of issues that will be dealt with before the summer, and some of it is comprised of other stuff that really won't be dealt with until late in the summer. They are deliberately creating confusion so as to deflect some of the more pointed inquiries. I can appreciate a company policy that they won't make statements about software upgrade release dates and content because there would be no end to it and no end to the lobbying, pre-emptive complaining and damaging press specualtion. But in this case, it was RIM who made the decision to release a device with significant aspects not yet active. In other words, a special case that demands special handling, which RIM is not providing.

You can almost feel the momentum for the Playbook ebbing, as its most ardent supporters become frustrated by the pace of activation of essential features. It's obvious that RIM can't actually provide these features in the near future, but its also beginning to look like they can't even work up a real timetable. And that has about it a whiff of desperation and trouble, as if there might be some deeper problems with the device that are making it impossible for it to deliver on a mass scale, what various RIM reps have been parading at tech events for many months.

How irritating will the upcoming UK launch events be, which will have even more splash and flash on stage, to the saps who've already ponied up the pay for a Playbook, that is still stuck in beta? For myself, I will hang tough and wait it out because ultimately I have a lot of confidence in RIM and in this particular device, but its painful to see them drift like this.
    05-24-11 12:54 PM
    A few weeks ago at Blackberry World, the RIM reps during their interviews had all adopted the "sometime this summer" mantra for virtually everything. And it was clear that they had embarked on this communications strategy -- to throw everything into an amorphous blob to be dealt with over the summer, even though it was clear that some of blob is comprised of issues that will be dealt with before the summer, and some of it is comprised of other stuff that really won't be dealt with until late in the summer. They are deliberately creating confusion so as to deflect some of the more pointed inquiries.
    kinda disagree, its actually exactly what you should do as a customer service person.

you`ll find carriers say stuff like `that will take up to 24hrs to process on the system` when adding/removing features to your account. its the same thing, you have to set the customers expectations. giving out a finite date on an item (such as an OS update) which may be subject to testing /qa would simply set the customers expecatation and would result negatively when/if said item is delayed. by giving a broader or more non commital period it allows for something not going to plan.
    05-24-11 01:03 PM
    kinda disagree, its actually exactly what you should do as a customer service person.

you`ll find carriers say stuff like `that will take up to 24hrs to process on the system` when adding/removing features to your account. its the same thing, you have to set the customers expectations. giving out a finite date on an item (such as an OS update) which may be subject to testing /qa would simply set the customers expecatation and would result negatively when/if said item is delayed. by giving a broader or more non commital period it allows for something not going to plan.
    Yeah, I do get that aspect. The tack taken by RIM since BWC did strike me as deliberate and thought out, and doubtless they are trying to manage expectations and to maintain credibility. All well and good, but there are costs. I don't generally like corporate policies that are inflexsive and that are designed to be unresponsive to changing circumstances, even though I understand the long-range thinking and philosophy that dictates those characteristics. Its not a good sign when you have damage control a major product launch, but that is the posture RIM is settling into. It's unfortunate, but its not the end of the world, nor is it the end of the PB or of RIM. I keep going back to the release of the ultimate white elephant, the Ipad -- tepid reception in many quarters. Turned out to have legs. The difference is that Apple has a better handle on the media outlets than RIM, so RIM is more susceptible to attack.
    05-24-11 01:19 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD