I rebooted my PB yesterday after leaving the hospital. I noticed this red asterisk on the wifi Icon in the status bar. Never seen this before. I swiped down to see if there were any indication on the wifi page, nothing there, did a couple of searches and coldn'nt find it.
    So I figured I'd try you guys. Everything works ok, it's just been bugging me and after getting a hernia re-repaired it's not taking very much to do that

Here's a screenshot (i hope)

04-03-12 10:08 AM
    We're you using the hospitals wifi? Maybe delete it from your saved networks?
    sputneek likes this.
    04-03-12 10:17 AM
    I have had that a few times when the wifi connection need some kind of verification (password for example).

If you press the wifi button there should be a small drop-down menu with a 'connect' button. Although you can still use a standard internet window to login.

Si.
    sputneek likes this.
    04-03-12 10:18 AM
    could mean connected to the router, but no internet access? Haven't come across that one yet.
    sputneek likes this.
    04-03-12 10:18 AM
    I saw this for the first time the other day as well. I was connected to hospital wifi and had to accept a couple certificates and then accept the landing page agreement.
    sputneek likes this.
    04-03-12 10:20 AM
    could mean connected to the router, but no internet access? Haven't come across that one yet.
    Wow thanks for the quick replies guys, my connection is working fine. I never even had a chance to take it out of the case although the unit was on, Just weird, no biggie. Just curious.
    04-03-12 10:34 AM
    The red star on the wifi symbol appears when you are in range of a wifi hotspot but haven't yet accepted the terms. This occurs at places like airports, hospitals, Starbuck, McDonalds etc. Your PB will "connect" to their wifi if you tap ok to login to the hotspot but there is an extra step where you must open your browser and click OK to the terms and conditions. Until you accept the terms, the red star appears to indicate you haven't completed the process.

FYI: if your PB is bridged to your BB phone, then the PB will use the bridge Internet connection instead of the hotspot wifi until you turn the bridge off.
    sputneek likes this.
    04-03-12 10:37 AM
    I saw this for the first time the other day as well. I was connected to hospital wifi and had to accept a couple certificates and then accept the landing page agreement.
    Did'nt try to connect or anything the PB never came out of it's case had nothing open so
    I don't know how it could've been recognized, I have them in my saved networks though,
    Just one of those things I'll probably stumble upon searching some other related issue,
    Thanks again.
    04-03-12 10:49 AM
    If your wifi is set to available networks it will pick up hotspots like the one you found. I also get this at home when my playbook picks up my guest account instead of my secure account.
    sputneek likes this.
    04-03-12 11:03 AM
    [HTML]The red star on the wifi symbol appears when you are in range of a wifi hotspot but haven't yet accepted the terms. This occurs at places like airports, hospitals, Starbuck, McDonalds etc. Your PB will "connect" to their wifi if you tap ok to login to the hotspot but there is an extra step where you must open your browser and click OK to the terms and conditions. Until you accept the terms, the red star appears to indicate you haven't completed the process.[/HTML]

FYI: if your PB is bridged to your BB phone, then the PB will use the bridge Internet connection instead of the hotspot wifi until you turn the bridge off.

[HTMLIf your wifi is set to available networks it will pick up hotspots like the one you found. I also get this at home when my playbook picks up my guest account instead of my secure account.][/HTML]

Thanks very much for this, satisfied my curiosity, also really good to know Tried to quote you too patmjs sorry it did'nt work.
    Last edited by sputneek; 04-03-12 at 11:36 AM. Reason: screwed up again
    04-03-12 11:28 AM
    it means a wifi Hotspot is detected. Open your browser to see the sign on page and use the Hotspot

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    sputneek likes this.
    04-03-12 11:42 AM
    I ran into the red star on the wifi symbol today and tried turning the wifi off and back on again using the slider. It worked. No guarantees but give it a try.
    09-09-12 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD