QNX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's pure geek but interesting nonetheless.

QNX may run mission critical international space station systems but it's never had 10s of 1000s of monkeys monkeying around with it.
    06-02-11 12:21 PM
    two different things. that article is on QNX OS. What's on the Playbook is the QNX Kernel running a new Tablet OS.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-03-11 01:40 PM
    two different things. that article is on QNX OS. What's on the Playbook is the QNX Kernel running a new Tablet OS.
    many people, including myself, miss this fact sometimes. QNX might be the best OS at its core but what RIM did on the other layers of the OS is typical RIM crap IMO.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    06-03-11 01:45 PM
    Bumped for general edification.
    06-17-11 09:40 PM
    Which is the QNX OS.
    06-17-11 09:42 PM
    many people, including myself, miss this fact sometimes. QNX might be the best OS at its core but what RIM did on the other layers of the OS is typical RIM crap IMO.
    The teething pains are related mostly to security issues and maintaining UI integrity. We've already seen how the updates free up more RAM.
    06-17-11 09:45 PM
    9th of April 2010 RIM buys QNX, 12 Months on we have a almost full blown tablet.

Pretty good going.
    asherwiin likes this.
    06-17-11 10:01 PM
    This is indeed pure geek - because the real-life advantage is minimal. It's just good for RIM to maintain it's so-called "corporate environment". (Which they don't by now, because it's not yet convincing to corporates).

@shootsscores

have you read my post? (http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...settle-623781/)

You're a geek! :P
    06-17-11 10:09 PM
    The real life advantage is huge. Execution is the question at hand.

I don't understand your use of "corporate environment" but I bet the folks at QNX are thrilled by this opportunity to bring their system to a wider public. Remember, QNX is still doing business with all its old clients as well which includes probably everyone you've ever met.
    06-17-11 10:31 PM
    One of the biggest problems for RIM is its variety of handsets - nobody sees that, but it is. They all need to be maintained individually. I guess they will streamline it more and enter QNX.

But QNX can only be put on the phones as soon as it is capable of providing all the functions necessary. At this point it doesn't. (I mean in comparison to the BB OS)

We will see if they make it. Maybe they will be the next Apple - given up and then raised like a star... or like Nokia... big, less big, smaller, smallest... vanished.
    06-17-11 10:34 PM
    06-27-11 07:05 AM
    repost and rates a "meh".
    06-27-11 07:22 AM
    Why do you say this? I have yet to crash the OS. Playbook may not be done, but what has been done is pretty good at the moment.
    06-27-11 07:57 AM
    bump......
    06-28-11 09:12 PM
    Why do you say this? I have yet to crash the OS. Playbook may not be done, but what has been done is pretty good at the moment.
    Howarmat is very knowlegeable but he tries to walk a tight rope, he subtly bashes RIM while trying to sound fair, he does pretty good at it I think.
    06-28-11 10:51 PM
    The QNX difference is it's a real time OS optimized for multiple cores, which is where the smart phone space is going. It will allow RIM to run circles around iOS and Android with certain showcase apps, in day to day use it won't make difference I would imagine.

And really, "RIM Developers Defecting to IPhone, Android - Bloomberg"? This piece of non-researched 'journalism' surfacing again?

Wow, a twitter client developer stops developing for BB, big surprise as RIM has an official Twitter client that most people will use, why pay for another one for 95% of users? And the developer of the Miami Dolphins phone app and Taylor Swifts decides to not develop for BB? Big deal, how big is that company? How do its clients feel about ignoring 15% of the market?

More page-hit trolling, very popular these days to follow the herd with the RIM is dead meme, harder to analyze the situation and see it's not Nokia or Palm, every situation is different.
    Marcel38 likes this.
    06-28-11 11:10 PM
    QNX is amazing, it honestly enjoy using it more than any other mobile OS.
    06-29-11 03:17 AM
    apple is very good with media manipulation. they have a team of couple of techies dedicated just for smearing the competition with bad press dugged out and leaked to the mainstream.
    06-29-11 05:22 AM
    What has RIM done to the other layers of the OS that's "typical RIM crap"? I'm just curious for your opinion, because you might be seeing things from a different perspective than I am. Other than an incomplete feature set, this is the most un-typical-for-RIM device and OS I've used to date.
    06-29-11 06:09 AM
    What has RIM done to the other layers of the OS that's "typical RIM crap"? I'm just curious for your opinion, because you might be seeing things from a different perspective than I am. Other than an incomplete feature set, this is the most un-typical-for-RIM device and OS I've used to date.
    that is it basically, its not finished and still buggy like the OSs we see for phones alot of times
    06-29-11 09:46 AM
    . . . still buggy . . .
    How is it buggy?
    06-29-11 09:55 AM
    that is it basically, its not finished and still buggy like the OSs we see for phones alot of times
    I don't see incomplete as something RIM as DONE to the OS. More like, what they didn't do and what they will do as the platform matures. As far as buggy-ness, I have never used a mobile OS more stable than what is on the Playbook right now, so that I have to completely disagree with you on and I think any one else that owns a Playbook can agree.
    Last edited by Kill3r.Conc3ptz; 06-29-11 at 12:13 PM.
    Mojoski and spike007 like this.
    06-29-11 12:08 PM
    QNX Active partioning (continued from a locked thread)

07-13-11 10:52 PM
    The goal, I believe, is to have the OS be separated into discrete vertical segments all interacting with the core but none having any effect on any other. When this segmentation is complete, RIM will be able to deliver separate segment updates as opposed to the entire OS knowing that the segment being updated will in no way impact any other. I believe they are close simply by virtue of the fact that I've been able to crash apps, but never the entire OS.
    07-13-11 11:01 PM
    The UI remains rock solid. One process may shut down but others are unaffected. A shut down process can immediately be brought back to life. This OS is very cool. The processes have no interaction with the microkernel which simply assigns resources to them based upon requests that are prioritized. High priority processes get attention first. The UI would be such a process which is why it rarely freezes.
    07-13-11 11:08 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD