I am going to do this in point form, I think it gets the point across much faster. It's no wonder why the PB is not doing so well with such under educated people in this world. Rim needs to think of some better marketing because the retails are doing an amazing job of turning people away from there product.

- I wanted a PB

- I went to Future Shop (FS)

- Walk in confident and head help up

- FS rep asks if he can help me, I say yes, I would like to purchase 2 PB's.

- First thing FS Rep say's "Why would you want to buy a PB when the Kindle Fire is the same as the PB, but runs Android"

- I was shocked and didn't even know what to say for about 30 seconds.

- I said to him
    1. Kindle Fire is sold in the USA only
    2. Kindle is running a striped down, amazon customized Android OS, there are many limitations to it. You can search around to find out what the limitations are.
    3. FS don't even sell the Kindle Fire
    4. I am sure I said a lot.

- I purchased the two PB's but the FS rep seamed unhappy about my choice. He almost reminded me of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh thats how unhappy he was.

I personally think RIM products fit my needs and expectations better then any other manufacture out there. I have had Windows Mobile phone's, IOS phone's...., I much prefer the RIM BB layout.
    10-03-11 07:59 AM
    I (and many others here) have had the same experience at different stores. Mine was at Staples, see: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...elling-654482/

Write letters and call store/regional managers. That's all you can do. It's absurd the way these reps act. Not all of them, but most. They put their personal feelings into what device they think is best for you. And the most frustrated thing is they don't know what they are talking about!

It's really sad. The only time I talk to a sales rep in a store is when I need them to get me the product. And actually, I use in-store pickup whenever possible. There's really no need for reps anymore.
    10-03-11 08:17 AM
    Time for RIM to counter-attack ...
    BLACKBERRY STORES !!!!!!!
    10-03-11 08:20 AM
    Actually, what you should have done is take the PB to the front cash rather than let him ring it up and get the comission.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-11 08:21 AM
    Could not agree more.
    10-03-11 08:33 AM
    Actually, what you should have done is take the PB to the front cash rather than let him ring it up and get the comission.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You are so freaking right, I am big enough of an @$$ that. I am going back with my receipt and going to have a credit and re-purchase done just so he don't get the commissions.
    10-03-11 08:34 AM
    My question is why do these stores even carry a product if all they are going to do is tell people they don't want it. I know it's mostly the peoples personal thoughts which is fine unless you're working as sales person!

I know they have had returns from people that either are not happy or didn't really know what they were buying. I have to wonder if RIM is even aware. I wonder how long a person would keep their job if they told people they don't want an ipad?

Are there incentives for them to sell ipads and androids?
    10-03-11 08:43 AM
    Are there incentives for them to sell ipads and androids?
    I'd like to know this too, so maybe someone who is a rep can fill us in. Although I see no BestBuy, Staples, FutureShop, etc. employees replying to these threads, so I doubt we'll get an answer. And that actually kind of proves the reps do no research. If they would just visit a forum every now and then they would get a wealth of information and be able to serve their customer better.

I once had a post on AndroidCentral about how customers know more then the Verizon sales reps. All the reps came out of the wood work, asking why should they spend their own time researching, or why should they put in the extra effort for so little commission. They wanted to lynch me, but it's true, and most agreed. I would be embarrassed if I was a sales rep and the customer knew more than me. Have some pride man!

I think the poor hiring habits by a store manager, and a minimum wage job, makes it a "who cares" type of position. And I do see some reps who have some knowledge, but they are few and far between.
    kbz1960 and black hole like this.
    10-03-11 08:55 AM
    If the employee was worried about his commission he wouldn't steer a shopper away from a $250-300 product available today for one that is $200 and unavailable until mid November.
    Mystic205 likes this.
    10-03-11 09:00 AM
    I don't know if this is case there or not, but i found out first hand that the Staples located near my work gets bonus. I was told by sales guy there the manager is a huge Apple fan, and gives bonuses each month to the associate with the most ipad/ipod sales.

Therefor, they push Apple products on you almost as soon as you walk into the door. If things like this happen at other locations it will drive any competition into the ground. They will try to convince potential customers who thought they wanted a PB into a Ipad.
    Last edited by ScoobsDM; 10-03-11 at 09:12 AM. Reason: grammer
    10-03-11 09:11 AM
    When you think about what people tell you, you have to ask what is motivating them.

Here are the facts on say the iPad or other non-BB tablet if you need web access outside of wifi.

The cost for the iPad2 3g is 600+ but then there is also the 30-50-70 bucks per month. I used facebook driving over to Bend yesterday via my BB Bridge. Cost: 0.

Every carrier wants to charge you 50 bucks per month so don't expect them to support the Playbook.

The Playbook provides secure internet access anywhere if you have a BB phone. I could see the hesitation if you had an old Tour but any of the new OS7 phones just rock. I love my Bold, I love my Playbook (even if I did not have a BB), but together they leap way ahead of any other combo.

Oh, yeah, and it costs less.
    10-03-11 09:22 AM
    Price drop means less commission if they get it. It has gotten awful press. RIM apparently has zero communication with the retail outlets and doesn't check in with them. Why is the sales persons response such a shock OP? You should forward this to RIM, if only they had a way to contact them easily that didn't require you to open a trouble ticket. Sorry but IMHO RIM is to blame for the retail outlets abandoning the Playbook.
    southlander likes this.
    10-03-11 09:22 AM
    Its beginning to seem that they should doesn't it! They need more products in order to have a store everywhere but they could have a few
    10-03-11 09:27 AM
    The cost for the iPad2 3g is 600+ but then there is also the 30-50-70 bucks per month. I used facebook driving over to Bend yesterday via my BB Bridge. Cost: 0.
    Wrong. Here in the U.S., the iPad data plans are $15 for 250 MB and $25 for 2 GB on AT&T, no contract, month to month. Verizon is $20 for 1GB with the same terms. Don't need data one month? Don't buy the plan.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1583...ata_plans.html

As for Bridge, it is free, but only if you have a BlackBerry phone, which is not free and will run you more than $70 a month with data in addition to the initial cost of the phone itself. Nice try, though.
    Last edited by Economist101; 10-03-11 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Added iPad 3G data plan details
    10-03-11 09:34 AM
    Price drop means less commission if they get it. It has gotten awful press. RIM apparently has zero communication with the retail outlets and doesn't check in with them. Why is the sales persons response such a shock OP? You should forward this to RIM, if only they had a way to contact them easily that didn't require you to open a trouble ticket. Sorry but IMHO RIM is to blame for the retail outlets abandoning the Playbook.
    I was shocked because first he compared the Kindle Fire to a PB, and second he didn't even try to sell me another tablet in the store. I am just blown away buy a FS rep trying to sell me a product that I didn't want, his facts were wrong his product knowledge about both products was pretty much zero, and what he did say was wrong, and the best part about it is FS don't sell Kindle Fire's.

I do agree that RIM is to blame for this tho. They should be in contact with retailer's, they should provide training to educate sale's people. It may cost some money upfront, but just think RIM, you won't have FS Rep's comparing your PB with a Kindle Fire !!!, A EBOOK READER !!! THE PB is so much more, but when compared to by a FS Rep the Kindle is better. WTF !!!
    10-03-11 09:36 AM
    Wrong. Here in the U.S., the iPad data plans are $15 for $250 MB and $25 for 2 GB, no contract, month to month. Don't need data one month? Don't buy the plan.

As for Bridge, it is free, but only if you have a BlackBerry phone, which is not free and will run you more than $70 a month with data in addition to the initial cost of the phone itself. Nice try, though.
    You may be correct about the Data Plan price's for the iPad in the USA. But not all of us are in the USA therefor don't have access to such described plans.

Also, care to tell my how much your data/voice plan is for you iPhone? Here in Canada, most cell providers have a completely different set of plan's for the iPhone, and for the iPhone only and they are typically 10 - 15 dollars more expensive compared to the BB only plans. Again this is just my observation not fact. Also a iPhone purchased out right is just as expensive if not more then a blackberry. So if you take your more expensive iPhone data/voice plan, + your over priced iPad data plan, you might as well bend over with your pant's down and let the cell providers have there way with you. Again this is just my opinion and based on Canadian providers.

I will agree a PB with out a blackberry is not as useful of a deceive due to it being wifi only. But if RIM could sell a PB to every BB owner they would be in good shape. Isn't this the idea of the PB, to be paired with a BB, i don't think RIM has even suggested it to be a stand alone tablet.
    10-03-11 09:45 AM
    Wrong. Here in the U.S., the iPad data plans are $15 for $250 MB and $25 for 2 GB, no contract, month to month. Don't need data one month? Don't buy the plan.

So this islab owner doesn't own a cell phone?

The bridge is sweet.
    10-03-11 09:45 AM
    Also, care to tell my how much your data/voice plan is for you iPhone?
    You missed the point. I wasn't complaining about the cost of BB phones; merely pointing out that to call Bridge "free" ignores the fact that the BB phone you use it with does have a cost. No matter how you slice it, iPad 3G plus data plan will run you less than PlayBook plus BlackBerry phone plus data plan. To suggest otherwise is rather silly. As for different countries, sure, data prices do vary, but this would affect the data prices for iPads AND BlackBerry phones, both of which would be using data in our hypothetical.

So this islab owner doesn't own a cell phone?
    I guess you've never heard of a feature phone. Figures.
    10-03-11 09:51 AM
    There are four kinds of sales people: 1) people that sell what they're told 2) people that sell products that give them the most commission 3) people that sell what they "truly" believe (since majority of the people like Apple, that's why they get pushed so much) and 4) people who are just there for a job (aka don't know anything about the products).

I will be honest, IF I worked on commission and I get more money for pushing Apple, as much as I don't like their products, I would educate myself on them and push them like there's no tomorrow. Now, if no commission was involved, I would no doubt push "my preference and what I believe in" and that would be the PlayBook.
    10-03-11 09:51 AM
    There are four kinds of sales people: 1) people that sell what they're told 2) people that sell products that give them the most commission 3) people that sell what they "truly" believe (since majority of the people like Apple, that's why they get pushed so much) and 4) people who are just there for a job (aka don't know anything about the products).

I will be honest, IF I worked on commission and I get more money for pushing Apple, as much as I don't like their products, I would educate myself on them and push them like there's no tomorrow. Now, if no commission was involved, I would no doubt push "my preference and what I believe in" and that would be the PlayBook.
    All the more reason to just bypass sales associates, do your own research, and take advantage of ordering online or using in-store pickup. And if you don't like what you purchased, take advantage of the return policy.

In then end you'll feel better (or worse maybe) because you made your own decision and didn't rely on an uninformed sales person.
    wh01sl1k360d likes this.
    10-03-11 09:59 AM

I guess you've never heard of a feature phone. Figures.
    Feature phones come with free cell service?
    10-03-11 10:06 AM
    You missed the point. I wasn't complaining about the cost of BB phones; merely pointing out that to call Bridge "free" ignores the fact that the BB phone you use it with does have a cost. No matter how you slice it, iPad 3G plus data plan will run you less than PlayBook plus BlackBerry phone plus data plan. To suggest otherwise is rather silly. As for different countries, sure, data prices do vary, but this would affect the data prices for iPads AND BlackBerry phones, both of which would be using data in our hypothetical.
    Regardless if you have a PB or not, you still need at data plan with your BB. All you have to do is pair your PB with your BB and your off to the race's. So in my books that is free, the PB has not cost me any more a month unless I go over my monthly allowed data usage. Not once have I used the 1GB included with my plan, that is including use with the PB. There is not many place's you go now a day's that don't have WIFI, and to be honest 3G, 4G, i don't care what G your device connects with, WIFI is always faster. I will agree that just an iPad data plan will be less then a BB and a PB per month. But your not comparing apples to apples here. The PB & BB combo is a Voice/Data combo, where the iPad is just a data plan, I would expect it to cost less, as your are getting less. If you compare a iPad + iPhone cost per month it will be more.

In the simplest of terms, and lets look at this in the most basic way, forget how much data you are allowed a month and so on, just the basics, If you have BB and you pair a PB you have data on both devices. No extra charges, no monthly add on, no 2nd monthly plan. This in my books is free.
    Last edited by wh01sl1k360d; 10-03-11 at 10:14 AM.
    10-03-11 10:11 AM
    Feature phones come with free cell service?
    No, but it's a lot cheaper than smartphone plus data plan.
    10-03-11 10:25 AM
    I am going to do this in point form, I think it gets the point across much faster. It's no wonder why the PB is not doing so well with such under educated people in this world. Rim needs to think of some better marketing because the retails are doing an amazing job of turning people away from there product.
    I had similar experience at best buy etc. They did not seem interested to sell me the pb and I was angry at them.

Now looking back I think I should have listened to them and not buy a product that would sell for half its price after five months.

Had I gone with any of the other tablets that more or less sells for the same price now, I would have been able to sell it and buy something else.
    10-03-11 10:32 AM
    Regardless if you have a PB or not, you still need at data plan with your BB. All you have to do is pair your PB with your BB and your off to the race's. So in my books that is free, the PB has not cost me any more a month unless I go over my monthly allowed data usage.
    True, but you already own a BlackBerry. As a result, there may not be an additional cost tied to getting your PlayBook online, but there is a cost, you just happen to already be paying it. If you happened to own any other phone (and these days, most buyers do own some other type of phone), then Bridge isn't an option, so for them, getting the PlayBook online is not free at all. Meanwhile, a 3G iPad user gets the same deal regardless of whether or not they actually own a phone, and the device can function on a wireless network independently of other devices.
    10-03-11 10:32 AM
116 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD