hello everyone,
    I am new to this community and to the whole blackeberry thing. i bought playbook couple of months ago but didn't use it. But yesterday when i tried to use it for the very first time, it asked me for my wifi password and create an ID as well, then it took me the software update part where it started downloading the update (about 510 mb--version 2.0.6..... can't remember but think its the latest update). The downloading part takes place without problem. Its the installing of the download which is giving me problem. After the download, it starts installing it and at the end of installation, it gives the error message saying ' Unable to install'. Am i doing sth wrong? or is it my playbook or is it that i have to change my wifi?
    Please help as i am very new to all this playbook thing.
    thankyou
    p.s. i downloaded the whole update twice already and its the same problem.
    russ2903 likes this.
    08-02-12 11:46 PM
    I got my Playbook yesterday and am experiencing the same issue. Only difference with me is that I already had a Blackberry ID as i have a 9900. I have tried it about 5 times on 2 different wifi networks and get the same problem. Downloads fine, gets to about 67% of the install then says Unable to Install.

Wondering if it is something to do with the fact that we are trying to go from the original OS straight to the latest one

Hope someone can help
    08-03-12 04:03 AM
    Hey ...

I encountered the same error you guys got when I tried to install the OS update over wifi & what I did to overcome it is to install the OS update via the Desktop Manager (You might have to download it from Blackberry's website), connected to the PC by the supplied USB cable and away it went.

It took a long time (Or at least it seemed too, but I have had no coffee yet today so I am still in a fog so I really can't say for sure how long it took ), but it installed without any issues and it works perfectly.

Hope this helps.

John
    08-03-12 10:53 AM
    Thanks John,

I had to revert to doing this as well but had the issue that every time i plugged in the playbook, it told me i needed to complete the initial setup first. I then would remove the device from the known devices in the desktop manager, reboot pc, reboot playbook, reattach and eventually it came up with the option to upgrade. Took about 5 or 6 attempts so not sure what "process" allowed me to get it to come up with the correct option.

All working fine now though

Hope that helps niksar1111
    08-06-12 10:43 AM
    Did you check the battery status first? You may have to charge it up because I seem to recall that you need at least 20% or more charged on it before you can install any bb software updates. I could be wrong... anybody else want to chime in on this?
    08-06-12 11:08 AM
    Mine had a full battery when i was having issues
    08-07-12 03:52 AM
    I also had the same problem when installing the update for the first time and I followed this method

Turn off the Playbook
    start the Desktop Manager on the PC.
    Connect the Playbook while still in the turned off stage.
    Desktop manager will say update and just update
    it will take some time as it is about 900 MB file.
    djpailo likes this.
    08-07-12 04:15 AM
    Using the Desktop Manager to perform updates is a much reliable method.. You can try it from there..
    08-08-12 02:07 AM
    I also had the same problem when installing the update for the first time and I followed this method

Turn off the Playbook
    start the Desktop Manager on the PC.
    Connect the Playbook while still in the turned off stage.
    Desktop manager will say update and just update
    it will take some time as it is about 900 MB file.
    I know this is a major bump, but thank you for those instructions. I have the download manager installed and its downloading the update. BTW for anyone else, "repair" just means "update" on the wizard lol..
    01-25-13 06:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD