Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. Basically, I have recently purchased a PB, of which I am really enjoying, however I am having difficulty installing .bar files on it. I have the installer and I have managed to get hold of several .bar files, however when I load them up and try to install them I am getting this message, "500 unpack requires a string argument of length 22" and then the install will not work. I am pretty sure that the file are fine as they were taken from the goodereader website. One file did manage to install correctly (bbc news) but the others did not. They did seem to be slightly larger files, however there is about 14gb free on my pb so there is definitely enough room to install them.

I would be really grateful of someone has any idea how I could fix this! Tried googling the error but couldn't find anything!

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    02-16-13 03:30 PM
    Try using the Chrome installer instead. First, install Google Chrome Browser on your PC, then go here in Chrome and follow the instructions. PlayBook App Manager
    02-16-13 04:13 PM
    Can you open Development mode?
    02-16-13 04:17 PM
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. Basically, I have recently purchased a PB, of which I am really enjoying, however I am having difficulty installing .bar files on it. I have the installer and I have managed to get hold of several .bar files, however when I load them up and try to install them I am getting this message, "500 unpack requires a string argument of length 22" and then the install will not work. I am pretty sure that the file are fine as they were taken from the goodereader website. One file did manage to install correctly (bbc news) but the others did not. They did seem to be slightly larger files, however there is about 14gb free on my pb so there is definitely enough room to install them.

I would be really grateful of someone has any idea how I could fix this! Tried googling the error but couldn't find anything!

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    I have run into a similar problem using HaTax's wifi tools. I get "java.exe not found in your path...." and nothing loads. And yes Java is enabled. Has always worked perfectly in prior builds. I've done the usual, Development Mode, cleared the cache, etc., and cold startup which often cures minor ills but not working so far. No apparently I now have to stay out of .BARs.....
    Last edited by tofnow; 02-16-13 at 08:09 PM.
    02-16-13 04:21 PM
    Hi.

Firstly, thanks for your quick responses! I installed chrome, app manager and it seemed really promising, then just when I thought it would install the same thing came up, "500 unpack requires a string argument of length 22". I have no idea what this means! Is there any other way to get these programs on my playbook? Would resetting to factory settings help? Thanks for all your help!
    02-16-13 04:56 PM
    Try another bar file.
    02-16-13 05:35 PM
    Well if its from goodereader the bar files for some reason or another are now after some weeks not working right.

So grab some from BB10bars.net BlackBerry 10 Bars

Just rememeber not all converted apps will work on PB and Z10, i just went through 60 apps today at least and about 40 of them work on PB and Z10 and i mean fully work all functions, well some parts may not work due to Playbook is a tablet and not a Phone.
    SheeB likes this.
    02-16-13 05:40 PM
    Well if its from goodereader the bar files for some reason or another are now after some weeks not working right.

So grab some from BB10bars.net BlackBerry 10 Bars

Just rememeber not all converted apps will work on PB and Z10, i just went through 60 apps today at least and about 40 of them work on PB and Z10 and i mean fully work all functions, well some parts may not work due to Playbook is a tablet and not a Phone.
    Just tried it. Unfortunately, the same error message about no path to java.exe.
    02-16-13 05:58 PM
    Does Goodereader only have pb BAR files? I've never seen that message. So it could be the bar files you are using. What bar app is it?
    02-16-13 06:01 PM
    Just tried it. Unfortunately, the same error message about no path to java.exe.
    i used about 60 of them about 2hrs ago from BB10bars.net np's what so ever.

Make sure you have the latest Java Installed and delete all the ones you downloaded so far and re-download them.
    02-16-13 06:04 PM
    i used about 60 of them about 2hrs ago from BB10bars.net np's what so ever.

Make sure you have the latest Java Installed and delete all the ones you downloaded so far and re-download them.
    Have latest java in 1526 plus Win7 64 bit has java update 13. I cannot work the installation from WiFi but I can do it over DDPB and USB hookup. I'll try to make the WiFi work but at least if I need a .bar I can load it. Thanks to all for your interest and suggestions.

Up Date: Downloaded the latest JRE 7 update 13 and all now works in WiFi. Error message was telling me it didn't exist but I wasn't smart enough to remember that due to the Java vulnerability hole recently that I had removed it. So let this be a lesson to me! :-)
    Last edited by tofnow; 02-16-13 at 08:40 PM.
    02-16-13 08:05 PM
    I sideload .bar apps from goodereader.com to PB using DDPB app on PC without any problems. PB must be in development mode and connected/recognized by PC. The only time I encountered a loading problem was when I had both DTM AND BB Link loaded (I don't have BB10 yet, so I don't need link yet). When I uninstalled Link, no more sideloading problem.
    Last edited by jaxjag1950; 02-16-13 at 09:24 PM.
    02-16-13 09:09 PM
    I sideload .bar apps from goodereader.com to PB using DDPB app on PC without any problems. PB must be in development mode and connected/recognized by PC. The only time I encountered a loading problem was when I had both DTM AND BB Link loaded (I don't have BB10 yet, so I don't need link yet). When I uninstalled Link, no more sideloading problem.
    Yeah I was able to do so with link installed and goodereader, but yesterday and today nope can't, I think it's a goodereader issue as files become locked when downloaded even after unblocking it still fails.

I have no issues from other sites, no files are blocked when downloaded, so why all if a sudden three days after getting z10 and with link installed it not work when it did Tues, Wednesday, Thursday with link installed.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-13 10:53 PM
    Hi, just by way of an update, I can confirm it was the goodereader .bar files that were causing the problem. I have since been able to install lots of apps from .bar files via another source. I think it may have something to do with the latest pb update? Anyway, problem solved! Thanks for all the help.
    02-17-13 05:00 PM
    Hi, just by way of an update, I can confirm it was the goodereader .bar files that were causing the problem. I have since been able to install lots of apps from .bar files via another source. I think it may have something to do with the latest pb update? Anyway, problem solved! Thanks for all the help.

It has nothing to do with the recent PB update as I have the LTE version meaning I never got an update yet no one that has the LTE version
    did so it's not the update, goodereader must of did a server update to cause this issue.
    02-17-13 05:22 PM