Brand new Playbook out of the box. Plugged in and it is asking for update to be downloaded and installed 2.1.0.1088. Downloaded and installed and at the end of the installation it says "unable to install". Cant seem to get to any home page on the playbook and also i have tried 3 different networks to download the update. Rang BB and they blamed ISP. Rang ISP and they blamed BB???
    Please help
    10-28-12 06:53 AM
    Turn it off, make sure the screen isn't still light. Open desktop manager and plug the pb in while off, choose update and or repair. The pb also needs at least a 20% charge before it will update and you can also try a wifi hotspot if one is near you.
    10-28-12 07:05 AM
    OK thanks. Is that the blackberry device manager that i need to open? I think this downloaded when I plugged in to my laptop and the drivers were installed.?? Sorry not good with computers
    10-28-12 07:15 AM
    Well device manage is what allows your computer to see the pb this is the desktop software. BlackBerry - Desktop Software for PC - US
    10-28-12 07:25 AM
    No luck. Will not ask me if I want to update or repair. It basically says that the initial set up of the playbook has not been completed and this needs to be done before the device manager will connect to it
    10-28-12 07:38 AM
    Then your pb is not off. Hold the power button until you get a prompt to turn off or it just shuts down. Take it in a dark room to make sure there is no light in the screen.
    10-28-12 07:42 AM
    You ever get your playbook working? I bought one 2 weeks ago and cannot use it as it needs this update aswell. I download the update it wants over wifi, downloads fine but fails during installation. Says "unable to install" it's plugged in. 100% battery power. I don't have a PC just Mac computers. Downloaded desktop manager for Mac. Tried having playbook off, plug into MacBook then click "repair" does its thing for 1 hr or so then says something about failing aswell. I tried plugging it in to MacBook while playbook was on aswell. No luck. Probably tried 12 times to download and instal this update. This is very frustrating. If I don't get it soon I'm returning it. Any ideas???
    12-03-12 02:57 AM
    You ever get your playbook working? I bought one 2 weeks ago and cannot use it as it needs this update aswell. I download the update it wants over wifi, downloads fine but fails during installation. Says "unable to install" it's plugged in. 100% battery power. I don't have a PC just Mac computers. Downloaded desktop manager for Mac. Tried having playbook off, plug into MacBook then click "repair" does its thing for 1 hr or so then says something about failing aswell. I tried plugging it in to MacBook while playbook was on aswell. No luck. Probably tried 12 times to download and instal this update. This is very frustrating. If I don't get it soon I'm returning it. Any ideas???
    Have you called rim for support? Find posts by user F2 for the contact info. They will talk you through the setup and if it still won't work they will Rma for repair or replacement.
    12-03-12 03:14 AM
    If you want to fix this without sending it out and can follow written direction fairly well then I advise to search the forum for cfp. Download an OS to install and let cfp do the work. This is what I did in your situation and my PlayBook has been running like a champ ever since. Good luck.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-03-12 03:23 AM
    Cfp? What is that? Just tried searching that and got nothing. Thanks
    12-03-12 01:17 PM
    Cfp? What is that? Just tried searching that and got nothing. Thanks
    CFP.exe is referenced in link below, disregard references to "rooting" the device pretty much:
    (Note that CFP is a windows program, there is NO Mac version.)

This is the BEST info I've seen on using CFP, Mods really need to make it a sticky.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...how-do-755178/

So far as where to get CFP,
    > CFP 3.9.0.165 < is the one you want,
    Officially links can't be posted to it on this site as it's a "internal" tool- but you will find it if you LOOK.
    One thing that might throw a monkeywrench into the mix is the unit getting the v2.1.1088 os update and being unable to revert to a lower version. You're probably going to have to find a image of 2.1.1088 as that's the version it was most likely attempting to install.

This said you could try 2.0.4869 or 2.0.6149 and later update to a non-rootable OS version.
    Link to both images are in above link
    Early versions Below 2.0.4869 or 2.0.6149 are "rootable", once phone successfully updates to a ver newer it's not.
    (Has something to do with the files being encrypted above versions noted above.)

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 12-03-12 at 02:34 PM.
    12-03-12 02:02 PM
    Poster above suggested totally powering unit down.

I think pressing and holding the volume up /down buttons and power button and holding for 20secs performs a HARD REBOOT.
    This might break the loop it's in.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 12-04-12 at 12:05 AM.
    12-03-12 02:37 PM