I finally posted at Rim's forum.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-07-12 12:20 AM
    I finally posted at Rim's forum.
    Do you mind posting the link to that thread here?
    01-07-12 12:01 PM
    01-07-12 12:21 PM
    I have the map of Canada, which I thought was a map of the whole Canada including cities (esp. at the $10 price), but it does not appear to be since when taken offline it can only zoom in so much before it has no more tiles.
    01-07-12 05:40 PM
    Ok.. so I'm new to Blackberry products and I don't have a bb phone.

Got the 32GB Playbook and today I had the chance to back up my PB since buying it on Boxing Day at London Drugs.

My experience is as follows:

I have Playbook OS 1.0.8.6067 and installed Blackberry Desktop software Version 6.1.0.36.

Full backup didn't work the first time. Actually I didn't bother after it said that there was an "error" (sorry I don't remember exactly what it said).

Tried a second time by disconnecting the USB cable...and again...same error message.

Next, I shut down the Blackberry Desktop and restarted it again. Plugged it in and did something different.

Since I hadn't backed up nor sync'd the PB, I chose to Sync first.

Did something and sync'd but didn't really see any files.

Then I tried backing up select parts of PB, starting with the smallest part of Playbook. For me, it was Settings, then Media, and then App Data.

Settings (1.3MB) backed up...media (60.3MB) worked thereafter, and then App Data (1.55GB)...which took much longer due to the size.

I have only free apps on my PB and no video/movies other than the demo that came with it. I do have a few camera pictures but that is it.

My partner has movies on his PB but also could not back up. He's removing it from the PB to see if his first backup will work.

My thoughts is that:

1) you should back up upon first buying the PB (of course, RIM should have provided a user manual as not everyone knows what to do first, especially older people).
    2) do not install or download any apps until backup.
    3) Try different combinations of backups and do not touch the cable while backing up.
    3a) full backup
    3b) if 3a doesn't work, sync first, then individual sections
    3c) try other methods.
    4) ensure the usb is securely in the port.

Just my 2 cents...
    01-22-12 06:17 PM
    I don't bother backing up media using DM. I do that myself using drop/drag under Windows Explorer.

Yesterday was another interesting backup day. First try - failure. Second try success. I did turn on Developer Mode and did close down some programs on the computer.

Today, first try failure. No other changes except persistence - success about 10 minutes later on second try. No rhyme nor reason.

I'd suggest phases of the moon but really it could not have shifted much in 10 minutes!

Reason for backups - added new apps and wanted them backed up.
    01-22-12 07:08 PM
    I'm beginning to think there's no rhyme or reason either. Got one good backup a couple of weeks ago & figure I'll just wait for OS2 before I drive myself insane again.
    01-22-12 07:29 PM
    It has been a while since I last backed up my PlayBook, and of course when I need to back it up (so I can restore onto my new 64 GB PB and re-gift the 16 GB one), I can't. At least not the application data (settings worked). The worst part is that it finally started to backup after several tries, and after it got all the way to the end of backing up 4.5 GB, it crapped out. I have the 2.1 beta and the latest DM from beta zone (7.1.0.32). DM really needs to be able to selectively backup (and restore) individual apps. If it did, I at least backup some of them. This is really ridiculous.
    08-13-12 12:37 AM
    If it got that close, you could try again if you have the patience. It MIGHT make it. I have not gone over the thread again but try running it on a computer that is freshly rebooted, not running anything else at the time. Freshly reboot/restart the pb before running it again. The backup is a ZIP process and takes time and cpu to accomplish it. Then it again, it might still not work.

Good luck.
    08-13-12 08:30 AM
    If it got that close, you could try again if you have the patience. It MIGHT make it. I have not gone over the thread again but try running it on a computer that is freshly rebooted, not running anything else at the time. Freshly reboot/restart the pb before running it again. The backup is a ZIP process and takes time and cpu to accomplish it. Then it again, it might still not work.

Good luck.
    08-13-12 08:32 AM
    I have been trying to backup my Playbook for a couple of weeks, with no success - until tonight. I was originally trying to backup using my .co.uk email address as my BlackBerry ID. I then set up a new ID using a .com address, and everything went swimmingly - the backup worked first time. My partner uses a .com address and has had none of the problems I found. He has deliberately reset his PlayBook to a .co.uk address to test the theory. His PlayBook is now failing to load, run a backup or anything else, which seems to prove that the theory is correct. The PlayBook does not like .co.uk addresses. We haven't tried any other address combinations, such as .net, etc, but the first tests seem to verify the theory. So if you are having problems with backups, try changing the suffix of your BB email ID.
    08-17-12 03:26 PM
86 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD