Got a playbook brought back from USA few days ago. I was concerned about buying from USA and here's my concerns and experiences.

1. Keyboard : I was concerned that keyboard would be 'USA' keyboard with odd placements of some character keys. Not a problem at all.

2 Charger : As others have said, for mains charging you'll need a USA plug adaptor or compatible charger. My kindle main charger actually works perfectly with it but you'll not be stuck as the box includes a usb charger anyway.

3. Blackberry Update : no problems with making update when first starting it up. Updated to 1710 fine.

4. Bridge : Bridge set-up and works perfectly for me. I know the launch version of the software didn't cover UK but it does now. I can browse the internet and use my Bridge contact to use emails fine, when wifi is not present.

5. Installed Apps : contrary what I've seen elsewhere, NFS and Tetris HD are still present after 1710 update.

6. Tethering : Went through the tethering set-up but I quit when I asked for O2's wap settings. I don't have a tethering account and don't need one as BB Bridge works fine for me anyway when not in a wifi zone

My first impressions of the PB is that it is a brilliant piece of kit. For UK owners who can get one brought back from USA/Canada, my advice would be to dive right in !

Tom
    05-01-11 05:59 AM
    Sounds all good I hope to receive my package containing a playbook coming week.
    05-01-11 06:08 AM
    Hi,

I got my playbook on Amazon UK, its simply wonderful! However I am having a few problems and hope its software related.

1. When I turn from landscape to portrate there is a several scond delay

2. The Bridge is not working. I did ONCE manage to get to my FB page and try and chat but it was just too slow. I have 3g business account with O2 and would LOVE to get this function working. WiFI is simply amazing! Email and contact are fine but its the bridge browser thats the issue.

3, watching BBCi player I get lag? Now I know you may say its my WiFI but its not as my 9700 is fine as are my two computers. Also movies on my BB are lagging too. Sometimes ok and others slow. Same as with bbci player.

4. I had a few crashes where the palybook need rebooting. All trying to get on facebook.

I am sure (hope) its just a teething problem for such a new device. But if you UK guys could let me know if you are getting the same thing with yous.

Cheers,

Rich
    Last edited by PapaPro; 05-01-11 at 08:07 AM.
    05-01-11 08:04 AM
    i got my playbook from canada on 26th, everything works fine, iam on vodafone PAYG

1. tvcatchup + bbc iplayer works fine
    2. the bridge is working although bridge browser is very slow
    Last edited by kariakoo; 05-22-11 at 04:09 AM.
    05-01-11 06:57 PM
    Good to see a few UK people posting about their experiences of the Playbook...im still umm'ing and ahh'ing about getting one...having a look round ebay uk, ive seen a 32 gb wifi version for about �450 which is a pretty good price as it would cost me roughly the same price in Canada...im off to Canada next week myself for a few days on business so was planning to pick one up there but wasnt sure if it would work fine.

Seems like it does so that relieves my dilemma somewhat...now my only issue is that if i get one from Canada or from the guy on ebay...whats the deal with the warranty...is it still under warranty here in the UK?? or am im up the proverbial creek without a paddle should anything go wrong??...anyone know for sure??.

The only adv i see to picking one up from Canada is that if there are any dead pixels or other issues, i can take it back straight away and get it exchanged....ive emailed the seller on ebay so will see what he says about warranty or dead pixels etc then make my decision. But if anyone can give me an answer then great.
    05-01-11 07:06 PM
    I just registered my playbook with blackberry so the product is indeed supported here in the uk. So I now will keep mine and wait for the OS update.

Just love this machine even with a few bugs. And I forgot to thank the crackberry team for helping me decide if I wanted to be an early adopter. I feel very lucky to have my playbook.

Take care everyone and have fun,
    kariakoo likes this.
    05-01-11 07:24 PM
    i got my playbook from canada on 26th, everthing works fine, iam on vodafone PAYG

1. tvcatchup + bbc iplayer works fine
    2. the bridge is working although bridge browser is very slow
    Thanks for the feedback. I just played around with bbc iplayer and found with a reboot of the playbook it worked! But if I use pause then the lag kicks in. Also a reboot seemed to fix my rotation issue so I think it could very well be memory related issue as I was watching a movie and after tried to surf the web and found websites would not open.

so a reboot maybe a quick fix for anyone who is having these teething issues. Cant wait for the next OS update.
    05-01-11 08:58 PM
    I may not properly recall but I thought that Rim only warrants to the original purchaser. But, again, I may be incorrect. There must be a way to find out.
    05-01-11 11:49 PM
    Good to see a few UK people posting about their experiences of the Playbook...im still umm'ing and ahh'ing about getting one...having a look round ebay uk, ive seen a 32 gb wifi version for about �450 which is a pretty good price as it would cost me roughly the same price in Canada...im off to Canada next week myself for a few days on business so was planning to pick one up there but wasnt sure if it would work fine.

Seems like it does so that relieves my dilemma somewhat...now my only issue is that if i get one from Canada or from the guy on ebay...whats the deal with the warranty...is it still under warranty here in the UK?? or am im up the proverbial creek without a paddle should anything go wrong??...anyone know for sure??.

The only adv i see to picking one up from Canada is that if there are any dead pixels or other issues, i can take it back straight away and get it exchanged....ive emailed the seller on ebay so will see what he says about warranty or dead pixels etc then make my decision. But if anyone can give me an answer then great.
    If you can buy one next week in Canada, I would wait and buy there and check all was OK, as getting one from ebay may take some days to arrive anyway.

However, if you had to wait a month or more, I wouldn't wait!
    05-02-11 05:12 AM
    Hi, just wonder if any of you have issues with dead / stuck pixel in your devices?
    I bought one from USA (Best Buy) and has a dead pixel almost in the middle of the screen
    I don't know what to do; any suggestion?
    Other than that it is working perfectly and I'm very happy with it.
    05-02-11 05:57 AM
    I just registered my playbook with blackberry so the product is indeed supported here in the uk. So I now will keep mine and wait for the OS update.

Just love this machine even with a few bugs. And I forgot to thank the crackberry team for helping me decide if I wanted to be an early adopter. I feel very lucky to have my playbook.

Take care everyone and have fun,
    ~How did you register it??...was it done through the playbook or did you have to ring them to register it??...if you did ring, which number did you dial??.

If you can buy one next week in Canada, I would wait and buy there and check all was OK, as getting one from ebay may take some days to arrive anyway.

However, if you had to wait a month or more, I wouldn't wait!
    Well i just heard back from the guy whos selling them for �450, which is a stonking good price because others are selling for close to �500...says he has them here in the UK and that if ordered one, id get it within a day or 2.

Not 110% sure if i will be going to Canada as a few things have come up so that might not be possible.

Emailed him to ask about the warranty and if there are build issues etc so am waiting to hear back from him.

This yr is going to be expensive BB wise...first the pb then the new 9900 Bold touch which ill be looking to get as soon as we have a release date in the UK.
    05-02-11 09:07 AM
    Product's already being tested for weeks now by my mates who work in RIM-UK.. It'll be out very soon with full support (I've been told June!)..
    05-02-11 09:33 AM
    Product's already being tested for weeks now by my mates who work in RIM-UK.. It'll be out very soon with full support (I've been told June!)..
    Sounds good but do you know if the US spec models will be ok here once the UK spec models are out??...just want to make sure that all the updates from the US ones will still be working.

I got an email from the guy from ebay saying that his are us spec, come with a 1 yr warranty with RIM and if i have any issues within the first 7 days i can return it for a replacement.
    05-02-11 10:00 AM
    When you first turn on your playbook you fill in some info and then get an email from blackberry where you can register your device. I did mine and used my UK address so I am on their record and have the tech support thing
    Spawn12 likes this.
    05-02-11 10:38 AM
    Hi, just wonder if any of you have issues with dead / stuck pixel in your devices?
    I bought one from USA (Best Buy) and has a dead pixel almost in the middle of the screen
    I don't know what to do; any suggestion?
    Other than that it is working perfectly and I'm very happy with it.
    So sorry but I have no pixel issue. Hope you get it fixed soon
    05-02-11 10:40 AM
    When you first turn on your playbook you fill in some info and then get an email from blackberry where you can register your device. I did mine and used my UK address so I am on their record and have the tech support thing
    Thanks mate...looks like ill be ordering one tonight from ebay...�450 for a 32gb wifi version is too good to pass up....hopefully have it by thurs/fri latest....im hoping that it wont have any pixel issues etc.
    Last edited by Spawn12; 05-02-11 at 11:07 AM.
    05-02-11 11:03 AM
    One final question to any UK playbook owners...is the BBM via bridge working fine??..or is it still not working??

Ive downloaded the new version of the bridge app and im currently running BBM 6 from the beta program...
    05-02-11 11:07 AM
    One final question to any UK playbook owners...is the BBM via bridge working fine??..or is it still not working??

Ive downloaded the new version of the bridge app and im currently running BBM 6 from the beta program...
    The bridge browser and bridge files are not working very well for me but I just read an OS update is coming today. I dont have bbm on my playbook yet but it seems some got it today. Will let you know if I get today too.
    05-02-11 12:31 PM
    I've just updated the OS to 1.0.3.1868 without any problem. Not sure about BBM as I don't use it.
    05-03-11 03:58 AM
    The bridge browser and bridge files are not working very well for me but I just read an OS update is coming today. I dont have bbm on my playbook yet but it seems some got it today. Will let you know if I get today too.

Cool would be good if you could let me know...ive just bought the 32gb playbook from ebay for the �450 so looking forward to having it in my hands later this week....im just hoping that when i get it there are no dead pixels or build quality issues.

I've just updated the OS to 1.0.3.1868 without any problem. Not sure about BBM as I don't use it.
    Even better as it shows that even though its not been released here, the OS updates are working for us here in the UK.
    05-03-11 06:01 AM
    BBM does now work through Bridge. You will need to:
    - Update BBM to latest version
    - Update Bridge to latest version
    - Update the PB to latest version
    - Restart all for good measure before connecting

Can't find groups though on BBM via Bridge which is strange.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    05-03-11 06:41 AM
    BBM does now work through Bridge. You will need to:
    - Update BBM to latest version
    - Update Bridge to latest version
    - Update the PB to latest version
    - Restart all for good measure before connecting

Can't find groups though on BBM via Bridge which is strange.
    Brilliant thanks for that mate

Ive updated both my BBM and bridge to the latest versions so hopefully should be ok...as of yet i havent got my pb but once i do then ill be updating to the latest OS then give it a whirl.
    05-03-11 07:01 AM
    Got a playbook brought back from USA few days ago. I was concerned about buying from USA and here's my concerns and experiences.

1. Keyboard : I was concerned that keyboard would be 'USA' keyboard with odd placements of some character keys. Not a problem at all.

2 Charger : As others have said, for mains charging you'll need a USA plug adaptor or compatible charger. My kindle main charger actually works perfectly with it but you'll not be stuck as the box includes a usb charger anyway.

3. Blackberry Update : no problems with making update when first starting it up. Updated to 1710 fine.

4. Bridge : Bridge set-up and works perfectly for me. I know the launch version of the software didn't cover UK but it does now. I can browse the internet and use my Bridge contact to use emails fine, when wifi is not present.

5. Installed Apps : contrary what I've seen elsewhere, NFS and Tetris HD are still present after 1710 update.

6. Tethering : Went through the tethering set-up but I quit when I asked for O2's wap settings. I don't have a tethering account and don't need one as BB Bridge works fine for me anyway when not in a wifi zone

My first impressions of the PB is that it is a brilliant piece of kit. For UK owners who can get one brought back from USA/Canada, my advice would be to dive right in !

Tom
    On the charger, while all microUSB chargers, like the Kindle will work, you are better off geting an adaptor for the original USA charger. The power and therefore speed of charging is more than double

I updated as soon as I got the unit and connected to my PC and NFS + Tetris were both gone. But I don't know if they were originally there at all!

Also as I write I got the update notification for Bridge 1.0.0.83 + BBM. Installing now. So we are about a day behind US/Canada on this.
    Last edited by simsim1000; 05-03-11 at 08:51 AM.
    05-03-11 08:49 AM
    Also as I write I got the update notification for Bridge 1.0.0.83 + BBM. Installing now. So we are about a day behind US/Canada on this.
    I didn't get any notification but I just checked for updated OS and got 1.0.3.1868 (4Mb)

Updating went fine but a couple of Apps I had deleted re-appeared when updated - NFS and music store (can't recall name)
    05-03-11 09:33 AM
    I didn't get any notification but I just checked for updated OS and got 1.0.3.1868 (4Mb)

Updating went fine but a couple of Apps I had deleted re-appeared when updated - NFS and music store (can't recall name)
    I got the update today and yesterday I updated my bold phone with the new bbm patch and now have bbm on playbook. Have not noticed anything different but bbm seems to work fine. The bridge browser is still slow and unusable. Cant wait for that feature to work as its what I really want.

Hope this helps
    05-03-11 10:52 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD