Ubuntu has an Android app that runs Ubuntu inside a window on the newer phones. Has anyone tried converting this 'app' and tried it on the playbook?

It seems possible, the playbook has all of the spec requirements at least. Someone with more knowledge please consider this in my stead.

I know a lot of people would love to see this app working!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uinstall&hl=en
    06-14-12 10:24 PM
    I don't have access to the Google Play app store. But if you do then this might be worth a try if you have access to the .apk file:

PlayBook .apk to .bar converter

Actually, I think it's already on there.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 06-14-12 at 10:57 PM.
    06-14-12 10:52 PM
    It's got one thumb down, which suggests someone tried it and it didn't work.
    06-14-12 11:02 PM
    I'm not sure about this app, but from what I understand Ubuntu just uses the Android kernel to run since it is already installed and they are both Linux distros. Playbook being QNX, I doubt it would work, unless the Ubuntu app actually installs a full virtual machine or something. That being said, I would love to have Ubuntu on my Playbook. That would be kinda fun to play around with.
    dbmalloy and axllebeer like this.
    06-14-12 11:02 PM
    I converted the free version of the app and found some bad news. For ubuntu to be installed I must have Root on my device and have BusyBox (another app that requires Root) installed. If anyone else wants a go at it, here is the bar file.
    06-15-12 01:18 AM
    I have since tried it also and although I have the icon there on my PlayBook now, once launching it doesn't ever do anything. A shame too since I've been an Ubuntu user for about 5 yrs now that would've been sweet!
    06-16-12 10:29 PM
    anyone tried since 2.1?
    11-13-12 03:24 PM
    No I. Don't think that I have. Will try tonight although I'm pretty sure that it still won't work.
    11-13-12 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD