12-24-11 11:56 PM
57 123
tools
    The WiFi interface remains on during standby, and if it loses the signal, it sucks ginormous power continuously trying to reconnect. So don't travel with it with WiFi on.

Another thing I notice, sitting here in the sun by the window---the PB is totally ignoring my dimness settings, running at full brightness and consuming nearly twice the expected power.

Still, I really love this thing...
    Last edited by dugggggg; 12-24-11 at 01:26 PM.
    12-24-11 01:23 PM
    Another thing I notice, sitting here in the sun by the window---the PB is totally ignoring my dimness settings, running at full brightness and consuming nearly twice the expected power.
    That's actually a design choice, apparently, and it makes sense to some extent. If it didn't attempt to auto-adjust the brightness in bright light, you could end up in a situation where you couldn't see the screen, and thus couldn't figure out how to increase the brightness.

Of course, they could just have assumed people would have the know-how to cover up the screen in that sort of situation, shielding it from the light while they navigated to the brightness settings... maybe a case of tech trying to be "too smart".
    12-24-11 01:30 PM
    That's actually a design choice, apparently, and it makes sense to some extent. If it didn't attempt to auto-adjust the brightness in bright light, you could end up in a situation where you couldn't see the screen, and thus couldn't figure out how to increase the brightness.
    Makes sense, and it's a useful feature---but should it ignore the fact that I have explicitly turned off automatic dimming under Screen settings?
    12-24-11 01:41 PM
    Yes, the battery life is adequate for my use.
    12-24-11 02:18 PM
    Makes sense, and it's a useful feature---but should it ignore the fact that I have explicitly turned off automatic dimming under Screen settings?
    Dugggggg, yes, it should ignore it, I suspect... given that it's not "auto-dimming" on you, but is "auto-brightening"... (I know, I know... just saying. )
    12-24-11 11:12 PM
    Can anyone who has an ipad confirm if the BT/wifi radios are shutoff when it sleeps? The Playbook wifi stays on all the time unless turned off for file sharing. I think this is likely a major difference maker in standby times.

I watched all 3 godfather movies on a plane ride this summer. The movies were 720p with 1.5 mbps average bitrate. Close to 12 hours of constant playback. That was impressive. Only thing I did to conserve power was set brightness to 50%.
    How do I confirm?

All I know is if I log into Skype and close to home screen on iPad or iPod Touch, both devices still ring when a call comes in, same with Facetime. The battery on the iPad is awesome compared to the PB. Days of standby with very little battery drain, and yes the screen brightness IS the biggest offender
    12-24-11 11:55 PM
    btw, my wife's iPod was missing for a couple days so I Facetimed it. That's how we found it. The Playbook would been dead by then!
    12-24-11 11:56 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD