I've noticed, although I make my fair amounts of mistakes, that now I have had my PlayBook since launch I have typed on it so much especially in these forums that I can't type on a regular keyboard nearly as fast anymore. This has been the same for me comparing my typing on my BB phone. Once I learned the keyboard on my BB my typing skills on a PC went downhill. So I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this in their usage of either the PB or a BB? I actually think its a good thing as It may very well be a warm up for the future of computing...
    12-14-11 11:21 PM
    Yes I have noticed this in my typing skills. To be honest I type better on my 9650 than my PlayBook, laptop, and desktop.
    12-14-11 11:30 PM
    I have noticed that I tend to make more spelling mistakes on the computer while typing than I do my Blackberry but that probably has something to do with my crappy keyboard or longer blocks of text that I tend to write on here.

As for the future of computing, I think it'll be a while before we see all glass desktop computers.. or maybe not: EXOdesk
    axllebeer likes this.
    12-14-11 11:32 PM
    Best on my 9930.

Worst on my PB D:
    12-14-11 11:34 PM
    I personally type better on a PC keyboard than anything else. Although I type very fast with little to no typos on the Playbook keyboard as well.
    12-14-11 11:34 PM
    Best on my 9930.

Worst on my PB D:
    Just makes me even more excited to hear this actually. Currently running the Style, but picking up my 9930 first thing in the morning. (I think the staff over at the Sprint store are tired of seeing me stop in and playing with the floor model) I've been impressed with the 9930 in my toying around with it. Especially how fast it is considering there is always around 10 apps running in the background because no one turns them off after handling it and it is still so much faster than my current BB.
    12-14-11 11:41 PM
    Until they put glass BUMPS on the glass home keys, I think my typing skills will be poor. I cannot type on the glass keypad without looking at it.
    12-15-11 12:14 AM
    I still touch-type fastest on the regular pc keyboard, using all my fingers and not looking down. With the PB, I type with my thumbs, and what really slows me down is all the punctuation marks other than a comma and a period that are on the numbers screen. We need more of them on the letters screen, at least the apostrophe and the hyphen.
    FF22 and peter9477 like this.
    12-15-11 12:49 AM
    The Playbook "keyboard" has no tactile feedback, making touch typing impossible. Leaving aside that it's too small, it's also not even a full keyboard. Sorry, I know some of you want the Playbook to do all things well, but a typing machine it's not. In my opinion, the best keyboard for fast typing is the Selectric II keyboard invented by IBM. Unfortunately, today, most computer keyboards don't even come close to matching it. But, there are good keyboards available. Of course, hooking one up to the Playbook (can probably do it over Bluetooth) would sort of defeat the purpose of a 7" tablet.
    12-15-11 01:04 AM
    Best on PC, then BB and then way down on virtual keyboards. Although here, for the first time, I have typed that much with NO mistake!!!!!!
    12-15-11 01:07 AM
    Not trying to be flippant here, but when I first read this I thought this thread was a joke. I can touch-type on even the worst PC keyboards. However, there is no way that I can touch type on the PB screen. I really can't even believe that anyone could suggest that you could. With no tactile guidance, how can you tell where you are on that virtual keyboard? If your fingers are off even a few millimeters, you will write nonsense. And how do you get back to the home position?
    FF22 and CrackBerryDoctor like this.
    12-15-11 09:26 AM
    i still type fastest on PC, i can log close to 80 words a minute. there is no way i can type that fast on any blackberry device
    12-15-11 09:37 AM
    there is no way I can type as fast on the playbook. I like the touch typing better but using the playbook isn't too bad. Really just a matter of getting used to it, since this is my first touch device, I am satisfied with the PB's touch keyboard.
    12-15-11 10:01 AM
    I also thought this thread was a joke when I first saw it. I learned to touch type about a thousand years ago on a manual typewriter ... and type 120 wpm on a keyboard. On the Playbook it's just not so fast.
    12-15-11 10:13 AM
    Its just about getting used to, when I started to type on a keyboard ages ago I had to struggle to find keys and always looked down. Then one day I just kept hitting the keys without looking down- thousands of errors happened but I learnt it. Its called muscle memory.
    With the PB its working with ones thumbs only and people aren't used to using the thumb except for hitting the spacebar on a normal keyboard. I am using the same technique, don't look onto the PB virtual keyboard, and it has helped a lot.

Now bottom line is that not everyones senses/reflexes are the same, if it was so then everyone would be driving Nascar or F1
    12-15-11 10:21 AM
    I still touch-type fastest on the regular pc keyboard, using all my fingers and not looking down. With the PB, I type with my thumbs, and what really slows me down is all the punctuation marks other than a comma and a period that are on the numbers screen. We need more of them on the letters screen, at least the apostrophe and the hyphen.
    We don't need more punctuation on the main typing screen, what PB needs is autocorrect like the BB devices!!! We don't stop to enter all the punctuation for most of the common punctuated words; we just type and know that our software will correct it. And this isn't being lazy, this is just a more productive way of using portable devices and using software to punctuate and correct commonly misspelled words.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-15-11 10:33 AM
    IMO, typing on my PB is horrible, either in landscape or portrait mode, it just isn't comfortable at all. Using full hands in landscape mode, the keys are too small. Using thumb typing in portrait mode, PB is too heavy to hold. This will probably be the same issue with any 7" tablets out there.
    12-15-11 01:50 PM
    IMO, typing on my PB is horrible, either in landscape or portrait mode, it just isn't comfortable at all. Using full hands in landscape mode, the keys are too small. Using thumb typing in portrait mode, PB is too heavy to hold. This will probably be the same issue with any 7" tablets out there.
    Yes, the PB is a tablet = great portability, small but servicable screen, and absolutely awful system for text input.

Some people here are trying way too hard to argue that the PB is good for everything. I really doubt that they can be serious. When it comes to typing, there's no way any tablet can substitute for a full size keyboard with real keys and tactile feedback.
    12-15-11 02:05 PM
    With no dedicated row of number keys I don't see how you can say you do anything faster on the PB with regards to the keyboard. For me, going back and forth between keyboard screens for numbers is a major PITA.
    12-15-11 02:11 PM
    One of the things that has to be taken into account is where are you when using the device and how do you hold it. To have it on my one leg while on the couch in just the right position, I manage pretty well. And I don't have to worry about where the vents are like a laptop to be sure it doesn't get too hot. My left hand only operates about 1/3rd of the keyboard while my right does all the rest. And yes if you get just a little bit off then you are screwed. I typed the original post on my PlayBook, but this time I'm using the 9930, and it has gone of course easier and faster.
    12-15-11 04:37 PM
    if your typing skills are better on the pb than on a fullsized hard keyboard, then you probably had crappy typing skills to begin with. seriously? typing with your thumbs is faster? hahaha. its an illusion.
    12-15-11 09:40 PM
    if your typing skills are better on the pb than on a fullsized hard keyboard, then you probably had crappy typing skills to begin with. seriously? typing with your thumbs is faster? hahaha. its an illusion.
    Just because you cant it dosent mean its an illusion.... its a fact that some people are better than others, thats what sets us all apart from each other.
    12-15-11 09:46 PM
    Just because you cant it dosent mean its an illusion.... its a fact that some people are better than others, thats what sets us all apart from each other.
    awwww how sweet
    12-15-11 10:05 PM
    Probably worth posting actual video on a Youtube. Better typing on Playbook (or any 7" tablet) would be very interesting to watch. What a skill!

I don't know if its just me, but it seems there are a lot of skilled people on this forum, particularly when it comes to the use of Playbook.
    12-15-11 10:29 PM
    Where tablet keyboards are superior to PC keyboards is with different languages. On some rare occasions, I need to type in Russian, and on my Mac desktop, I am typing blind because I don't know the keyboard layout very well. It can take several tries to hit the right letter. On the PB, I get the proper keyboard, so there is no guessing!
    12-15-11 11:04 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD