How does everyone like the typing on the Playbook? I'm starting to get the hang of it and making less mistakes, however I find that using punctuation is very inconvenient. To type something like I'm or didn't, I have to press 3 extra keystrokes to add the punctuation and return back to the letter keyboard. I wish there was some way to Swype or use long touch shortcuts like on phone keyboards. Is there a fix for this in OS 2 or some kind of way to improve this function?
    artie likes this.
    02-10-12 01:05 AM
    I find typing on a virtual keyboard extremely difficult, especially if you have multifocal glasses, unless you stand completely on top of the keyboard like I am doing now. BTW, I did this whole sentence without one mistake. I cnanot beliebw ut.
    02-10-12 01:10 AM
    you may find that it is easier, and more professional, to leave out contractions. I think that that is a reason why this may have been 'overlooked'. If the PB is aimed at a professional audience then those people don't usually use words that aren't professional.

do not get me wrong, I am sure they will fix this eventually, I just do not think it is that big of a deal.

(see what I did there...)

As for how i like to type on it... I LOVE IT! I have actually used it to do some of my activity planning at work, while I work, because it allows me to move around and type whatever I need to while I am supervising the kids on the computers.
    02-10-12 01:12 AM
    I find typing on a virtual keyboard extremely difficult, especially if you have multifocal glasses, unless you stand completely on top of the keyboard like I am doing now. BTW, I did this whole sentence without one mistake. I cnanot beliebw ut.
    I see what you did there...
    02-10-12 01:13 AM
    I've gotten used to it and have no problems now, but if I'm doing a lot of typing I use a little mini BT keyboard/touchpad I got from Amazon. About the size of two iPhones end to end and I type phone style, with both thumbs, like I do with the PB keyboard. It's much faster for me and it fits in my back pocket. Good luck
    02-10-12 01:13 AM
    I am really looking forward to being able to type on the 9900 keuboard. I am now typing on the PB with my thumbs (I am on the loo) and it is not too bad.
    02-10-12 01:18 AM
    To the OP:
    The fix is in the OS2 update.
    02-10-12 01:21 AM
    How does everyone like the typing on the Playbook? I'm starting to get the hang of it and making less mistakes, however I find that using punctuation is very inconvenient. To type something like I'm or didn't, I have to press 3 extra keystrokes to add the punctuation and return back to the letter keyboard. I wish there was some way to Swype or use long touch shortcuts like on phone keyboards. Is there a fix for this in OS 2 or some kind of way to improve this function?
    Yes. It is a pain to enter special symbols such as "|" or "$". Most importantly, the apostrophe should have been on the main keyboard since day one.

As jafobabe noted, it's great we are getting at least the contractions taken care of in OS 2.0.
    jafobabe, artie and Sesami like this.
    02-10-12 01:25 AM
    I do a lot of mistakes. my BB curve spoilt my typing. Wish it had Swype
    02-10-12 01:50 AM
    Auto-correct/fill is implemented in beta 2.0.7111.
    It has to be improved somehow for non English users (can't work with accentuated characters on mine) but I don't worry: it will.
    02-10-12 01:55 AM
    My main gripe is not having ? ! ' be on the main keyboard, as they are all used pretty often for the most part, but mainly the apostrophe. Everything else, I think I can live with. And maybe having the numbers 0-9 be long touch shortcuts on the top row of letters.
    02-10-12 02:06 AM
    yes, the ! and ? on the main keyboard - reducing the length of spacebar and having just one shift key
    02-10-12 02:16 AM
    The playbook software keyboard absolutely sucks in almosr every significant way compared to its iphone and android counterparts. I hope the implementation in 2.0 fixes things.
    02-10-12 05:22 AM
    The only mistake I make is not going down far enough to hit the space bar. Hit the n or b instead.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    02-10-12 05:46 AM
    Auto-correct/fill is implemented in beta 2.0.7111.
    It has to be improved somehow for non English users (can't work with accentuated characters on mine) but I don't worry: it will.
    Your country could join to twenty-first century and adopt the official world language of English. Handling languages other than English is always been a work in progress since the first consumer computers were developed but as evidenced by support for multiple languages you can rest assured even the BlackBerry PlayBook will fully support the same languages as the BlackBerry smartphones do today.
    02-10-12 06:52 AM
    The only mistake I make is not going down far enough to hit the space bar. Hit the n or b instead.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    Your message shows no indication of the stated claim.
    02-10-12 06:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD