I have been a BB user for many years now starting with the Curve 8310. It was followed by the 8900 and now, I am using the 9810. RIM has always done a good job in making the core apps work well on the devices they manufacture. With this in mind, I had the same expectation about the Playbook and I have yet been disappointed.

After upgrading to 2.0, my email accounts were set up and to this day, they have been working flawlessly. This was high on my expectations list as I have been accustomed to the reliability of email on the BB phones. When I am not within wifi range, the Bridge works wonders not only for email purposes but also for web browsing on the go and BBM. In my opinion, this is one of the best features of this tablet.

I have the 64GB variant and I have been loading it with quite a bit media recently from mp3s to HD video content. As a music player, I cannot complain. The app itself is basic and it is not as flashy nor feature rich as the iOS and Android apps. The same goes for the video player. What I am very impressed with though is the playback quality and reliability. I have had no issues what so ever. In the car, the kids use it to listen to music and watch their videos. It sounds great over the car speakers. The videos are crisp and vivid and there has been no hint of lag. At home, I have connected it to my 42 inch HDTV and watched a few HD videos and once again, it has performed very well. My wife, who by the way owns the IPAD2, IPhone 4 and a Macbook Pro has been impressed. Video recording and picture taking have also rendered quality results. Lastly, the built in speakers are wonderful. You can actually use them at full volume for the most part without any distortion.

I am not a gamer but I have downloaded a few games for my kids and they have not complained one bit. I think this in addition to what I have already mentioned speaks volumes about the quality of the hardware used on this tablet.

I am not a big apps guy too but I do recognize the importance of a few good ones such as SKYPE and Netflix that I wish RIM would have integrated. This is by no means a deal breaker to me as the many positives far out-weigh the few negatives in this respect.

To my original point, the Playbook has met my expectations just like the BB phones. Others may have greater expectations and have been disappointed by this device but to me, this is the perfect tablet. I am certainly excited for whats ahead.
    hpjrt, Snap51 and uncle_numpty like this.
    04-16-12 03:06 PM
    Glad you like the PB

Welcome to the forums!
    04-16-12 03:28 PM
    To my original point, the Playbook has met my expectations just like the BB phones. Others may have greater expectations and have been disappointed by this device but to me, this is the perfect tablet. I am certainly excited for what’s ahead.
    Yes, every Tablet is great when it's on the right user. The one who really need it for what it is.
    Still, PlayBook could improve and I believe it will.
    From your story, the way u connect it to ur HDTV is the one thing that RIM missed when marketing the PlayBook. If only they give the microHDMI for free back then (it was quite hard to find it in store), more people will aware of how useful the PlayBook is. Heck, I even post lots of posts about microHDMI usability on PlayBook.
    mhmediaonline likes this.
    04-16-12 03:39 PM
    Glad you're happy with the BlackBerry devices you have chosen like you I have not been let down or disappointed by the devices. Great choice on the 64gig model. Enjoy the forums.
    04-16-12 05:36 PM
    Great post OP. I like the way you have written it out, and mentioned what you expected out of it, and why you like it, for YOURSELF. Of course for other people it may not be great, and you included this in your post.
    04-16-12 06:09 PM
    I also wish they'd included an HDMI connector on the rapid charger stand: it would be great to place the PB on it and start watching TV!
    uncle_numpty likes this.
    03-20-13 11:08 AM
    The HDMI port is one of my favorite features of this device. The PB works extremely well in playback of both streamed and stored HD content. As for the HDMI micro cable, I was able to pick one up for around $10 at a local discount computer store. Lots available.
    03-20-13 11:39 PM
    The HDMI port is one of my favorite features of this device. The PB works extremely well in playback of both streamed and stored HD content. As for the HDMI micro cable, I was able to pick one up for around $10 at a local discount computer store. Lots available.
    The micro HDMI port is definitely a hit in my household. I have both viewed HD videos and streamed video content to my HDTV and both my wife and I are impressed by the stutter free video quality and sharpness of the image. I was lucky and had the micro HDMI cable included in the package deal I had.
    03-20-13 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD