Trying this for fun this morning up here in Canada...

US proxy works for Internet surfing, although even the best rated ones are extremely slow. After trying 5 or 6, I finally found one that would allow the video store update. Took 10 min for a 3MB update. Now have video store, but app says I have no Internet connection and won't open, despite the fact I'm currently connected and typing this message.

Amusing, but useless experiment.

Cheers,
    03-18-12 09:55 AM
    Well it worked for me, and it was fun to check out all the movies... But wtf man?!! All the movies are WAAY over priced! I mean 1.99 for a crappy tv show? C'mooon! Trust me folks, you're not missing anything! Yeesh
    03-18-12 11:49 AM
    Can you tell me a proxy ip address?
    03-18-12 12:04 PM
    Well here you are stranger a list of proxy IPs you can try out. List of Proxies Usually the newest ones will work just fine.
    ninjatogo gave a link to a place for some proxies...thats what I used...
    03-18-12 12:10 PM
    I was having no luck with this, I tried quite a few different proxies on two occasions.

Under 'Langage' I noticed my Country/Region was set to UK. I switched it to US and the very next proxy I tried showed the software updates.

Possibly coincidence, I don't have any way of checking - but if anyone else is having an issue it might be worth checking?
    Use this search instead.
    03-18-12 12:35 PM
    This worked for me.

I first changed Country to US on the Playbook. Restarted.

port 3128
    Toxic17 likes this.
    03-18-12 12:57 PM
    Just downloaded missing apps with no problems. I tested download speed with speedtest.net, the server was in California somewhere, my god, I could have walked there quicker so there is no way that I could use the proxy. I reverted back but the apps still worked. Well done.

Slight amendment: with slacker radio you need a US post code to register, podcast works though.
    Last edited by 1959gazza; 03-18-12 at 03:55 PM.
    peter_betos likes this.
    03-18-12 03:03 PM
    Thanks for the tutorial, after a few attempts, success!!

03-18-12 08:20 PM
    Glad I could help so many people!
    03-19-12 12:01 AM
    Sorry but there's nothing new nor magic about using a proxy server. This has been posted many times.
    May not be new or magic, but doesn't mean everyone is aware of it. Good post OP, it's what this forum is for.
    03-19-12 12:16 AM
    Great find, Thanks guys!
    peter_betos likes this.
    03-20-12 08:10 AM
    Keep a track of which Proxy IP's you've used. You might get a warning from Google about unusual activity on your gmail account due to your Playbook trying to access Gmail from the proxy address.
    03-21-12 05:18 PM
    doesn't work with mine. any suggestions? i tried changing the country. different proxies. what do i do wrong?
    03-21-12 06:03 PM
    wohooo. did work now! ^^
    Ninjatogo likes this.
    03-21-12 06:05 PM
    One thing that have found, the apps do not show up on " my world" so if there is an update can someone give me a shout please. I cannot stay on the proxy, way too slow.
    03-21-12 06:10 PM
    This will not end well.
    03-21-12 06:15 PM
    I think Canadians are getting Slacker, Podcasts, and News. Not sure about the other geographies, but pretty sure that not all of these apps are in every country.

Good idea on the proxy!
    I got everything but the video store on my Canadian Playbook.
    03-21-12 06:24 PM
    One thing that have found, the apps do not show up on " my world" so if there is an update can someone give me a shout please. I cannot stay on the proxy, way too slow.
    You don't have to use the proxy after you install them. You can go back to the regular settings. The apps that you get don't seem to be updated often so you don't have to worry about updates too much.
    03-21-12 11:18 PM
    This will not end well.
    I don't think it will be a big deal. It's not like people are getting things for free from the stores. Most proxies that people are going to use will be slow, so I doubt they will do this for the video store content. What I mainly expect people to use this for is to get the Blackberry, "News" RSS reader, and the Podcasts app. They should be available for everyone to use.
    03-21-12 11:23 PM
    Thanks, it worked well for me too !!
    The thing is that Podcasts (the app i did this for) can't connect to the servers :-s leaving me with only one option, to add urls myself. I have no idea where i can find such urls ...
    Well, thanks a lot for this topic, really helpfull.
    03-26-12 05:47 AM
    Thanks, it worked well for me too !!
    The thing is that Podcasts (the app i did this for) can't connect to the servers :-s leaving me with only one option, to add urls myself. I have no idea where i can find such urls ...
    Well, thanks a lot for this topic, really helpfull.
    A lot of sites have an RSS feed which you can subscribe to, but some will link to iTunes, which I can't get to work.

To get the URL for a specific site you only need to go to the videos section and click on the RSS icon on the page/in your browser, it'll take you to a very basic looking page with a list of articles/videos. The URL for that page is the URL you will need to enter into the Podcasts app.
    03-26-12 05:01 PM
    hmmm, I don't have a RSS button that changes my page for the url you mentioned ... :-s

posted using My BlackBerry Playbook
    03-28-12 02:20 PM
    hmmm, I don't have a RSS button that changes my page for the url you mentioned ... :-s

posted using My BlackBerry Playbook
    I should have probably mentioned that the RSS button is not in the Playbook browser, but many PC browsers now feature it. From the Playbook browser you can click on the icon in the page and copy and paste the URL from the Browser to the Podcasts app.
    03-28-12 04:11 PM
    Bookmark.

Mind you, I'll need to find out what a proxy actually is
    03-29-12 10:38 AM
    Didn't work for me, sadly. Update software tab says it is all up-to-date and the 'missing' icons do not appear
    03-30-12 05:13 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD