I have produced a simple step by step guide on how to get ALL the default applications for your Blackberry Playbook (Normally restricted to US users only). Tell me what you think.
    Last edited by ninjatogo; 02-25-12 at 07:13 PM.
    02-25-12 05:18 PM
    Excellent post,
    Very easy setup.
    Ninjatogo likes this.
    02-25-12 05:31 PM
    Rate this thread the 5 stars it deserves.

Excellent post OP. Should be a sticky.
    Ninjatogo and rotorwrench like this.
    02-25-12 05:37 PM
    Hey OP..... you need to post it here... and I did rate this thread 5stars.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/index12.html
    rotorwrench and Ninjatogo like this.
    02-25-12 05:45 PM
    Thanks Now here's a stupid question... I read the video store is US only, will it work on my European internet connection once I have it on my PB, or will it end up being blocked once I turn off the proxy?
    02-25-12 07:04 PM
    Once you turn off the proxy it will stop working.
    02-25-12 07:11 PM
    Hey OP..... you need to post it here... and I did rate this thread 5stars.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/index12.html
    Thanks, I forgot to post it there!
    02-25-12 07:14 PM
    Thanks for the fast reply. In that case I'll skip this little process, the only US default app I was interested in was the video store. Still, I'm sure it will be helpful for many others
    02-25-12 07:14 PM
    Hmmm... Didn't work for me. Settings saved, but said my software was up to date when I checked for updates. I was getting news and Slacker radio anyway, not the Video store though. You guys don't get those 2 apps?
    Last edited by Nethervue; 02-25-12 at 07:17 PM.
    02-25-12 07:15 PM
    Hmmm... Didn't work for me. Settings saved, but said my software was up to date when I checked for updates. I was getting news and Slacker radio anyway, not the Video store though. You guys don't get those 2 apps?
    Strange, so are you still missing the Podcasts app, or is it something else? I've tried this a couple times and it worked each time. I'm not sure what's going on with yours, maybe the proxy server is down?
    02-25-12 07:20 PM
    Didn't work for me the first because I used your proxy example numbers.lol
    Got new ones and it loaded up the extra 3mb update.
    02-25-12 07:23 PM
    Sorry but there's nothing new nor magic about using a proxy server. This has been posted many times.
    02-25-12 07:26 PM
    Sorry but there's nothing new nor magic about using a proxy server. This has been posted many times.
    I know it's not new, but there are many who didn't know you could do it or were confused on how to do it. I just wanted to help people set it up. Also, this is mainly describing how to get the exclusive files that normally come with the US version of the Playbook OS; the threads I saw on here all suggested the proxy only grants access to a different App World.
    02-25-12 07:37 PM
    If it only helps one person, it is worth it...

Thanks to the OP!!
    BearSnout, Hgouck and rotorwrench like this.
    02-25-12 09:25 PM
    I think Canadians are getting Slacker, Podcasts, and News. Not sure about the other geographies, but pretty sure that not all of these apps are in every country.

Good idea on the proxy!
    02-25-12 09:36 PM
    i never knew about the region specific modules of OS2! so great post OP!
    02-25-12 10:14 PM
    I'm in Canada and tried this trick with a bunch of different proxies but none of them would update the software. Was curious to have a look at the video store.
    02-25-12 11:15 PM
    I'm in Canada and tried this trick with a bunch of different proxies but none of them would update the software. Was curious to have a look at the video store.
    Well here you are stranger a list of proxy IPs you can try out. List of Proxies Usually the newest ones will work just fine.
    02-25-12 11:21 PM
    This actually does work, but you have to persevere with it. I tried a number of proxies from Hide my and it did not work. I eventually changed my country (under language), then reset my PlayBook and used a fresh proxy and automatically after I saved and connected, the PlayBook searched for and found new update
    03-17-12 05:09 AM
    It worked for me too...If I uncheck the proxy thingie after I update will I be able to use those apps properly?
    03-17-12 06:14 AM
    It worked for me too...If I uncheck the proxy thingie after I update will I be able to use those apps properly?
    Any app that requires you to be in the US will require the proxy server.
    03-17-12 07:04 AM
    Thanks Now here's a stupid question... I read the video store is US only, will it work on my European internet connection once I have it on my PB, or will it end up being blocked once I turn off the proxy?
    I used it from Thailand, it worked fine.
    After the download I went back to my original/local wifi.
    03-17-12 07:30 AM
    Did you try hidemyass.com worked good for me.
    03-17-12 07:32 AM
    I was having no luck with this, I tried quite a few different proxies on two occasions.

Under 'Langage' I noticed my Country/Region was set to UK. I switched it to US and the very next proxy I tried showed the software updates.

Possibly coincidence, I don't have any way of checking - but if anyone else is having an issue it might be worth checking?
    03-18-12 08:34 AM
    We've been saying this for ages now, but nice of you to take screenies.
    03-18-12 09:01 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD