02-10-12 11:58 AM
41 12
tools
    Agree. The UI beats all other tablets IMO.

Skype is indeed a big deal for some. Especially, those who have relatives, friends, or business partners abroad. I use it to talk to my family and colleagues as it's the safest way to communicate without fearing that your phone conversation is being wiretapped by secret service.
    And you think Skype is not able to be monitored? lol.

Worrying about the Secret Service is rather odd since the largest thing they do is anti-counterfitting. Of course the most public thing they do is VIP protection.

I would, if you are in the worrying mood, worry about NSA listening in significantly more than the Secret Service.
    02-10-12 07:16 AM
    It seems the person made a sum total of two statements and you were doing the baiting. Personally, I would suggest the one telling the story is the one overreacting. If the person said all of two things, both of which are consistent with being a sales person and neither of which are rude, yes you were being the equivalent of a real life (off the internet) troll. How was anything they said a hard sell to try to get you to buy something else? What, therefore, is the justication for being obnoxious? You baited someone who said two things and then you walked away. Not something of which I would be proud....
    Were you that brilliantly horrible salesperson?

If I went to a store and wanted to buy something - and was questioned as to why I wanted to spend MY money on something - I would give that salesperson an earful to the point that I would make a spectacle of myself to every other customer standing with 20 feet. I typically can make their faces turn red with embarrassment.

I dont need to justify to a big box retail salesperson why I want to buy something.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    02-10-12 07:20 AM
    Lets face it. At minimum wage, retail is tough work. We need to be kind in our schooling the the ignorant. They are faced with people who have no clue what they want or worst think they know and have no clue. When faced with people who do know what they want and do have the knowledge to back up that decision, it can be intimidating for them. Mind you, been there done that. I find the best way to teach is to show.
    02-10-12 07:41 AM
    just do what my buddy did here at FS. He asked for the 64gb and fsg started on about apple vs everything, so my buddy listened then turned to another fsg and asked him to get one from the case and bought it. 1st fsg said to 2nd fsg, I'll get it out and my buddy said, "no, keep telling me how great ipad is!
    LMAO! I absolutley love this. Sounds like something I'd do
    02-10-12 07:56 AM
    good one op......i had a similar experience but with the playbook itself...i went in to buy the 16gb version....his talking about why you wont buy the 64gb....i told his i am not a heavy user and wont be putting alot of huge files on it and that i will be using it mainly for web browsing and music most of the time while on the go. i kept walking ignoring his and walked out of the store with the damn 16gb. lol i didnt have time to argue with a sales rep...trying to make me choose something like im a damn child or something. i found it funny that none of the time was he trying to tell me about the features and how powerful of a tablet the playbook....but wants to tell me why i am not getting the 64gb version?? you dont need to be a sales rep then lol...just wanted to share this lil story
    02-10-12 08:02 AM
    Actually, MY fault, in trying to keep it short I left out too much information. Truth is you were spot on that all the tabs have great features. I had a hard time chosing between Galaxy Tab, iPad and PB.

Sorry all.

i would like to hear the whole story lol
    02-10-12 08:19 AM

Worrying about the Secret Service is rather odd since the largest thing they do is anti-counterfitting. Of course the most public thing they do is VIP protection.

I would, if you are in the worrying mood, worry about NSA listening in significantly more than the Secret Service.
    Depends on the country. Where I grew up, SecSev was the government's death squad.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-10-12 08:28 AM
    Depends on the country. Where I grew up, SecSev was the government's death squad.
    Same where I am from. You have to live in a country with a repressive regime to understand. Anything you say can be used against you.
    02-10-12 08:35 AM
    It is much much MUCH more secure than the phone as it is encryped.

Of course, as thieves and locksmiths put it, "there is no safe that is impossible to break open". But I would rather trust my life to Skype than phone.

As for Secret Service, I don't mean the U.S. Secret Service, but rather secret police that can make you and your family disappear if they find something against you.

So, please, don't take it lightly.
    02-10-12 08:47 AM
    The problem isn't the sales person, other than the fact that they sometimes try to act like they are experts when they aren't. The real problem is the store management philosophy. They don't provide training or require their sales personnel to learn about the products they sell. For example, I went to Best Buy on launch day last April to pick up a Playbook. They had 16GB on display and I asked if they had any 32GB or 64GB models in stock. The young lady who was waiting on me told me I would have to get an SD card to get more memory. I corrected her and showed her that there was no SD slot and she was visibly embarassed and went to find out if they had other models. The other day I went to the same Best Buy to see if they might have any Playbook accessories in stock. They had none and the young man informed me that Blackberry was abandoning their operating system and going all Android. I corrected him and explained what was actually happening with the new OS he got angry said that he was told that Blackberry was going all Android by the Blackberry sales rep and walked away. Both times I have politely explained to a manager that their sales people were putting out incorrect information on products and their attitude was that they're just kids and they don't have the time to train them on each product.
    02-10-12 08:58 AM
    I went into best buy to buy a dishwasher and told them I wanted this one. Nothing said about other makes or models. They sold me what I said I wanted.

I was in the same best buy to buy a playbook. I was at the display and told the guy I wanted a playbook and asked why the demo model was dead. He said I don't know it's junk and doesn't work. I asked to see the manager who assured me the display would be fixed and then asked if I looked at the ipad and androids. Told him yes I have and I prefer the playbook. Well he started telling me how much better.......as I was going out the door to buy it elsewhere.

Staples wasn't much better but I bought it there anyway because they were having a sale (nothing like the prices people are getting now) and at least they shut up after I told them I know what I want, when someone that just met me thinks they know what I want then you must be psysic, can you tell me when I will win the lottery or give me the winning numbers?
    02-10-12 09:49 AM
    This never happened Future Shop would never sell an HDMI cable for $15.00.
    02-10-12 10:04 AM
    I prefer Staples, as they don't sell iPads thus they won't try to talk me into that. In fact they never tried to talk me into something I didn't come in for. I had to order a router there the other day, because they didn't have it there. So they got my BB email address for order confirmation. They asked if I need a printout, but I said no and at the same time the phone went off with the email received. So I showed them the email on my Torch. The rep said she has an iPhone and it wouldn't do that. At least not that quick. So I told her I felt sorry for her, and that she might be better off to get a BB. Tools, not toys. LOL
    02-10-12 10:29 AM
    Post this on a local review site such as Yelp for this particular branch of Future Shop and say that they use dishonest and manipulative sales tactics such as "Bait and switch"-this is what occurred with the Playbook -iPad scenario . Say that this branch of Future Shop employs desperate bullying salespeople and should be avoided at all costs.

This incident may also be worth mentioning to local dept of consumer affairs and writing to head office of Future Shop about this particular branch.
    Last edited by Apelles1; 02-10-12 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typos
    02-10-12 10:43 AM
    I brought mine back in July last year from Phones4U (UK).

Sales rep (In fact was the store manager) was over the moon that I was getting a Playbook (They were really trying to Push the Playbook back then too)! Only issue was he took 40 minutes to ring it though the Checkout. But apologised with a free convertible case! SCORE!
    02-10-12 11:06 AM
    I prefer Staples, as they don't sell iPads thus they won't try to talk me into that. In fact they never tried to talk me into something I didn't come in for.
    Staples sells iPads , at least the ones in Canada do. The one benefit of Staples is that their employees are salaried, therefore are more intent on good customer service. I also find the Staples employees much better versed in the products they sell. FS & BB employees are paid on commission so buying a Playbook over an iPad is less money for them. Also, I'm sure the stores are making a lot less on the Playbook than the iPad. I buy all my tech toys at Staples.

Also remember the gazillion of accessories for the iPad. If you get one of those, you are more apt to spend money on accessories. There aren't as many for the Playbook. It all comes down to dollars.

I used to be in marketing.
    02-10-12 11:58 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD