Hi!
    Is there a way to turn off WiFi automatically when the PlayBook goes into standby? It was a nifty feature on my HP TochPad. Sure, it takes a moment to reconnect to the WiFi after returning from WiFi but it surely saves a lot of battery juice! I could not find a way to do it, does anybody else know a way?

-pac
    11-24-12 04:31 AM
    I am pretty sure that this is not possible. Coincidentally yesterday I started a test with my tablet. It's on wifi only and after 24hours on standby the battery went from 99% to 84%. So, to my eyes battery consumption when on wifi is not really dramatic. Nevertheless, it would have been a nice feature to have.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    11-24-12 04:51 AM
    but with that option and the playbook going to standby, how do you know about updates in mail and social media?
    11-24-12 05:41 AM
    Left mine on last night at 99% around 7pm or so this morning at 5am it was at 96%
    11-24-12 08:10 AM
    Better option would be to turn off Wifi when out of range.
    11-24-12 09:08 AM
    but with that option and the playbook going to standby, how do you know about updates in mail and social media?
    Maybe there's lots, me included, that couldn't give a rats.

I can catch up with mail updates and any OS or app updates when I wake it from it's slumber.

Would be nice to have the option just like my other tablets (2 x Android and a HP TouchPad).
    11-24-12 11:31 AM
    There is an app called "Smart Wifi" which detects when you are out of range of a hotspot and automatically turns off your wifi. In my experience using it, it does work but not always consistent. But give it a try:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/4643

-Sent from my Bold 9930
    11-24-12 11:55 AM
    Smart Wifi is for phones not the Playbook.
    I would like to see it come to the Playbook though.
    11-24-12 02:44 PM
    you could set it up to reconnect the wifi/data every couple hours and ping for updates..... I am sure if a dev spent the time to make an app they'd make tons. that, and peak hours for connectivity so you don't have to change the phone to sleep/silent mode, it would do it on its own (calls and texts would still be audible in cases of emergency). although, if those options came baked into the OS.......................
    11-24-12 04:53 PM
    I find i have to do a quick turn off and turn on for the wifi after its been on standby for anything over an hour or so.
    11-24-12 05:17 PM
    "Out of Range" is not a digital decision, but one made with both
    analog and digital hardware - it is notoriously difficult. Doc Neutron
    11-25-12 03:21 PM
    I know its not exactly what you want but here is what I do.

Just before I put my PB in standby mode, I tap the options cog and go into airplane mode. Then I tap the battery icon to go into standby mode. When I swipe to come out of standby mode, I just turn off airplane mode using the icon at the top of the homescreen.
    pacman84 likes this.
    11-25-12 04:35 PM