Am i the only one waiting eagerly for this?

Have allways been an Apple fan and iphone and ipad user since the begining.

When the Playbook came out i loved the size and speed of it, and when the price dropped i gave it a try.

I love it really as i can bring it with me everywhere without needing a bag or case as i need with the ipad but what i really miss is the gps with turn by turn and memory stored maps.

IOS and Android have some free ones, like navfree and tmndrive....

Why can't we have one on the playbook?

If it turns out to be true what it is being said about the future 7 inch ipad i will probably replace the playbook only for the gps apps.

Please RIM. Let there bem one...
    Last edited by jonhywalker; 03-02-12 at 12:14 PM.
    03-02-12 12:11 PM
    Magellan, but a quick trip in search would of got you that.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-02-12 12:16 PM
    Yes, if you search for "Magellan Compass" in the forums, you will find a great thread where they people from Magellan even show video samples of their upcoming oflline maps with turn by turn instructions.

I eagerly await it.
    03-02-12 12:21 PM
    Magellan has an upcoming update with spoken turn by turn. It is mentioned on their blog and a thread on this forum.

Do all the iPads have GPS in them? I thought you needed one with a cellular radio to get GPS or you had to buy an external BlueTooth GPS. On device maps is one advantage the iPad/iPhone currently have. I do a bit of boating and I have seen the marine GPS app used by a few people. On the Blackberry there is no option for this in Canada yet, though I see the GPSskiMap app company has brought out a marine app, but only with US charts.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-02-12 at 12:30 PM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-02-12 12:22 PM
    Magellan, but a quick trip in search would of got you that.
    Magellan does work with turn by turn- but there is no voice dictation (an update on the voice is predicted).
    However, Magellan also does reroute you to the destination.
    Its the best available till now- not free- but dosent cost a lot either.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-02-12 12:22 PM
    I tried megallan but requires data on.

And turn by turn in south europe does not work well.

What we need is tomtom, navigon, ndrive, anything....

Have europe map stored in the memory, place the playbook in the dashboard and drive....

Is this only a dream?
    03-02-12 12:24 PM
    Have europe map stored in the memory, place the playbook in the dashboard and drive....

Is this only a dream?
    I think it is a dream because the map sources are owned by only a couple companies, one of which was purchased by Nokia. With dedicated GPS units (Garmin, TomTom, etc) for your car with the maps in the $150 range, it is probably the best choice currently.
    03-02-12 12:29 PM
    I don't know about anybody else, but I prefer the separate stand alone units in my electronic devices. Having everything built in reminds me of those tacky all in one quadraphonic "stereo" units, where the pre-amp, amp, 8 track player, equalizer, cassette recorder, and speakers were all built in.

Just buy a good Garmin GPS unit and be done with it.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    03-02-12 12:32 PM
    I don't know about anybody else, but I prefer the separate stand alone units in my electronic devices.
    The total opposite for me. I long for having everything in a single device. It's bad enough I have to carry a "man purse" to handle all of my gadgets; pretty soon, I'll need to start dragging a wagon behind me. I would gladly ditch my stand-alone GPS if either my BB phone or Playbook had an equally good turn-by-turn voice directions program available.
    03-02-12 12:40 PM
    A troll within a troll?

I shall call it...Trollception.
    raymond likes this.
    03-02-12 12:44 PM
    google nav android app works on the playbook. i had it giving me directions early this is tethered of course. though someone was mentioning how google maps app will cache data somehow. I nr bothered since I have a cell phone with me at all times...
    03-02-12 12:53 PM
    If something like my Sprint Navigation comes to the Playbook and I can use it while bridged, I'll shat my pants and scream like a girl with glee. Too awesome. In the meantime, Magellan works darn well.
    03-02-12 02:14 PM
    Want Maps. Email your concerns or suggestions to the GPS manufacturers. That is what I did. If more people did it, we may get it. Garmin is not going to make their maps available just for me, you have to help. Go to their website, select Contact Us, and then select, Make a Suggestion. If they receive a couple thousand request, maybe they will consider it.
    Kerrstar likes this.
    03-02-12 02:18 PM
    I really don't get how a wifi gps device is in any way useful. Do you get lost on your way to the bathroom?
    03-02-12 03:21 PM
    I really don't get how a wifi gps device is in any way useful. Do you get lost on your way to the bathroom?
    What about the usefulness while bridged?
    rjedge54 likes this.
    03-02-12 03:25 PM
    ah, this is true
    03-02-12 03:35 PM
    If you're going to bother bridging it, just use BB Traffic on your phone. Since it's spoken directions you don't need a big screen... I don't understand.
    03-02-12 07:03 PM
    If you're going to bother bridging it, just use BB Traffic on your phone. Since it's spoken directions you don't need a big screen... I don't understand.
    OK, I need you to close your eyes and imagine a 7" beautifully laid out screen with near perfect resolution....driving somewhere nice, maybe a vacation spot.....where is it? I don't know! Let's navigate!.....set your Playbook in your dashboard Playbook holder/dock....enable the BB Bridge.....start the navigation app and type in your destination.....swipe and listen to music....swipe again and listen to the news....swipe back to navigation....etc, etc, etc. Is that a glorious vision or what?!?

It's a LITTLE bit of a BIG difference than using BB Traffic on your handset!

Understand now?!?!?!?
    nsectf and Bobcat665 like this.
    03-02-12 07:46 PM
    People who do not need this app sometimes have trouble understanding those of us who do need it.

At present, we do not have a decent GPS app, though I am hopeful that Magellan will fill the need. The current apps are excruciating and not helpful. I choose not to use my BB phone app because it requires reading glasses, which I can't switch on and off while driving. Yes, I am happy to bridge to have GPS. Heck, I would even be happy to have a GPS bridge app that displays on the PB.

How come my phone comes with a free and very useful GPS mapping system, but I can't get one on the PB for love nor money?

And, yes, I would pay a reasonable price (not just the bargain-basement app pricing) to have a real GPS software system on my PB. With POIs, traffic and weather features, etc.

I vote for one device that I can read, with nice, clear screens.

Oh, and I don't need voice directions. It would just conflict with the voices in my head...LOL!
    03-02-12 08:14 PM
    Aside from Bridge mode, I also have a MiFi hotspot. My Playbook is always connected to WiFi.
    03-02-12 10:44 PM
    While reading this post, I have a frown on my face wondering the same thing. How handy would a wifi device actually be for GPS . Not unless cars now come equipped with wifi. Can someone please help my ignorance
    03-02-12 10:55 PM
    Aside from Bridge mode, I also have a MiFi hotspot. My Playbook is always connected to WiFi.
    Oh OK...I will continue to use the GPS in my phone
    03-02-12 10:57 PM
    Let's navigate!.....set your Playbook in your dashboard Playbook holder/dock....enable the BB Bridge.....start the navigation app and type in your destination.....swipe and listen to music....swipe again and listen to the news....swipe back to navigation....etc, etc, etc. Is that a glorious vision or what?!?
    Well why don't you do all that stuff on the PB and then do the navigation on the phone. Since you gotta have both of them together anyhow to use bridge.

I donut get it!!
    03-02-12 11:12 PM
    The bottom line for me is,
    Is there is, or is there aint, plans to sell us off-line maps so that those of us who do not own, or will ever own a BB phone, can eventually use the PB's built-in GPS for anything other than looking at a satelite picture of our own house with an arrow showing what room we are standing in?
    mikegasman and nsectf like this.
    03-02-12 11:15 PM
    I guess it depends on whether you can download maps in advance using wifi but not need it for the gps functions? Or if it works via bridge? Nokia's mapping webpage can cache maps - not a very large area but I guess you might be able to cache a series of side-by-side maps and see how it functions.

I still have not reinvestigated Trekbuddy which I had used on my 8830 a few eons ago.
    03-02-12 11:39 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD