Could be. I wonder if if it's still the same in development beta. Might be worth asking in that thread if anyone can reproduce it.
    06-01-12 05:47 PM
    If the PB is on standby then it shouldn't be syncing email. Simple. That is the root of this problem. Another glaring omission.
    06-01-12 06:07 PM
    If the PB is on standby then it shouldn't be syncing email. Simple. That is the root of this problem. Another glaring omission.
    Ummm I think many would be p i ss ed if it didn't. Don't the phones work just like that?
    06-01-12 06:26 PM
    Ummm I think many would be p i ss ed if it didn't. Don't the phones work just like that?
    It's not a phone. Does your desktop or laptop check your emails when in sleep mode? Cos that is (or should be) the equivalent.
    06-01-12 06:41 PM
    I've got a rather simple solution here, with the Dev Beta of 2.1.0.560, the "manual sync" bug was fixed. So I'd say update to that OS version, and go into your account from the settings by swiping down, then now you can keep it in manual and keep push off. This way you can still use the native client, get all those emails unfiltered, no alerts, and you choose when you want it to sync. As well as no more battery drain issues because manual sync doesn't keep a constant network connection with the email server like in PlayBook OS 2.0 and 2.0.1.358
    I upgraded my "older" 32gig to the beta but it has little else on it as it was rma-ed about a week ago and I use the 64gig. So now that you mention that the Manual battery drain was fixed, I may give it a try again. While I call it "older" it appears to be a brand new unit as they replaced my defective one and there are NO blemishes showing signs that it is not a refurbished unit.
    06-01-12 09:01 PM
    This is wrong.
    If you don't want it to sync all time, use the manual sync option.
    Same as with my phone, I count on sound and led notifications. If the sync is performed only when not idle, we will end up using the tablet every 10-15 minutes and the display drains more power than the network.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    06-01-12 11:36 PM
    This is wrong.
    If you don't want it to sync all time, use the manual sync option.
    Same as with my phone, I count on sound and led notifications. If the sync is performed only when not idle, we will end up using the tablet every 10-15 minutes and the display drains more power than the network.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk

Again, the PB is not a phone. I think there should be a state call it 'idle', 'standby' or whatever whereby the PB doesn't automatically sync. I don't want to be fiddling about with sync settings before and after I put the thing into standby.

Of course, this thread, I suspect, would never have begun and none of this would be necessary IF one could turn the damn thing on much more quickly.
    06-02-12 02:17 AM
    One little agrivation for me though is this: The email client doesn't sleep. It stays active and is constantly recieving messages all the time. There is a little icon in the upper left corner that continues to count up as new messages come in. This bugs me. I want the client to sleep when I close it. I don't want it checking for and loading new messages until I open the client just like it does on my PC. Is there a way to make this happen? I have looked in settings and everywhere and can find nothing. The only way I can find to get it to stop this is to delete the account on my PB and not use my PB for email.
    If you have setup your email as 'Push', it will update immediately as you receive an email. You need to change it to 'manually sync'. But, you cannot have it both ways to be 'pushed' when you are actually using the PB and be 'sync manually' when it is in standby.
    I do not understand why you think it is a bug - to me it isn't.
    Also with the notifications, you can manage the level of sound, led or glow.
    Lastly, you also have the option to not show the 'count' of messages received - you can turn it off it it 'bugs' you.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-02-12 at 08:02 AM.
    06-02-12 07:52 AM
    IF one could turn the damn thing on much more quickly.
    What do you want?? A swipe is not quick enough? You just want to turn the thing on by LOOKING at it?
    06-02-12 07:54 AM
    What do you want?? A swipe is not quick enough? You just want to turn the thing on by LOOKING at it?
    I meant, turn the PB on. Crikey, if I could turn on the PB and have it start up as quickly as an ipad with a swipe that would be fantastic!
    Last edited by Haseleyman; 06-02-12 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Clarity
    06-02-12 12:34 PM
    I meant, turn the PB on. Crikey, if I could turn on the PB and have it start up as quickly as an ipad with a swipe that would be fantastic!
    Got you, but you do not need to turn the PB off. You only need to put it in standby. I almost never turn it off. Only use standby and restart.
    06-02-12 12:42 PM
    Got you, but you do not need to turn the PB off. You only need to put it in standby. I almost never turn it off. Only use standby and restart.
    Yes, but if I put it in standby it syncs the email, so back to the op's issue. We are going round in circles.
    06-02-12 12:45 PM
    Yes, but if I put it in standby it syncs the email, so back to the op's issue. We are going round in circles.
    Ok, but then put 'push' off for email and set it to manually sync and problem is solved.
    06-02-12 12:53 PM
    Ok, but then put 'push' off for email and set it to manually sync and problem is solved.
    I have no problem with the thing automatically syncing when it is on. I would just like there to be a state where the PB 'sleeps' and does nothing (and therefore less power drain). As I already said, this would not be a problem if the PB Turned on more quickly.
    06-02-12 02:04 PM
    If you have setup your email as 'Push', it will update immediately as you receive an email. You need to change it to 'manually sync'. But, you cannot have it both ways to be 'pushed' when you are actually using the PB and be 'sync manually' when it is in standby.
    I do not understand why you think it is a bug - to me it isn't.
    Also with the notifications, you can manage the level of sound, led or glow.
    Lastly, you also have the option to not show the 'count' of messages received - you can turn it off it it 'bugs' you.
    The bug I see is that "manual sync" is not working. If I have the account set to "manual sync" then I would NOT expect messages to come in unless I purposely fetch them, whether PB is active or (especially) on standby.
    06-04-12 09:37 AM
    The bug I see is that "manual sync" is not working. If I have the account set to "manual sync" then I would NOT expect messages to come in unless I purposely fetch them, whether PB is active or (especially) on standby.
    If that is the case, you are correct. But setting email to manual sync, you do NOT get a notification when in standby mode. I tested it. I do not get sound notification or led notification. I have to manual sync email for me to recieve the email. When I am in push setting, you do get the email notification in standby mode. For me that is fine as I expect push to work that way. Then you need to turn off sound notifications if to not be disturb. As general rule, my sound is always turn off not to disturb anybody or be embarrassed and only turn on when needed.
    So what I am saying is I think some users may have wrong settings and need to accept what certain settings means.
    Mayb RIM should define what 'standby' means as I think many expect it to be similar to computer.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-04-12 at 10:15 AM.
    06-04-12 10:12 AM
    If that is the case, you are correct. But setting email to manual sync, you do NOT get a notification when in standby mode. I tested it. I do not get sound notification or led notification. I have to manual sync email for me to recieve the email. When I am in push setting, you do get the email notification in standby mode. For me that is fine as I expect push to work that way. Then you need to turn off sound notifications if to not be disturb. As general rule, my sound is always turn off not to disturb anybody or be embarrassed and only turn on when needed.
    So what I am saying is I think some users may have wrong settings and need to accept what certain settings means.
    Mayb RIM should define what 'standby' means as I think many expect it to be similar to computer.
    Thanks for the comments. I think this thread may be confused with at least two different issues (when it syncs, and notifications). My issue is with the former. If I have the mail account set to "manual sync" my expectation is that the mail will never be updated unless I deliberately do a sync. It isn't working that way.
    06-04-12 11:49 AM
    If I have the mail account set to "manual sync" my expectation is that the mail will never be updated unless I deliberately do a sync. It isn't working that way.
    Understand, but my manual sync works perfectly. I tested it (Hotmail account). I do not get email or notifications when set as manual sync unless I refresh it.
    06-04-12 11:53 AM
    Understand, but my manual sync works perfectly. I tested it (Hotmail account). I do not get email or notifications when set as manual sync unless I refresh it.
    Something is weird or different on my PB, then. I have never seen "push" or "advanced settings" in my account setup, the interval is set to "manual sync" and new emails show up unprovoked. It's a POP connection.

Well, maybe it will clear up with 2.1 OS update. Thanks for your comments.
    06-04-12 12:27 PM
    Something is weird or different on my PB, then. I have never seen "push" or "advanced settings" in my account setup, the interval is set to "manual sync" and new emails show up unprovoked. It's a POP connection.

Well, maybe it will clear up with 2.1 OS update. Thanks for your comments.
    OK. When setting up new email do following. Accounts > Add New Account > Email, then do NOT enter address or password, select Advanced Setup > Hotmail (or Gmail, etc.) and go form there.
    That is how to get to Advance settings.
    UPDATE: Ok, do see POP and IMAP does not allow you to choose between manual and push. Probably not possible and an issue then.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-04-12 at 12:39 PM.
    rlfisher likes this.
    06-04-12 12:32 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD