Hi, as most of you know Apple announced the new iPad today. For this very reason lot of thread on the subject have been made discussing how the Playbook compares to Apple device.

I received my Playbook about a week ago and I love the size and the way the Os behave and how multitasking works. But one thing I hear often when people compare the two is that the iPad can't do what the Playbook can do.

I have had an iPad 2 for about a year now and got used to it and at the moment I can't see myself becoming as productive with the Playbook as I am with an iPad. Beyond tech specs, when I compare the two I find myself preferring the iPad because of how large and deep is the App Store is when compared to App World. IMO App are often what gives a platform it's real power, far more than the tech specs. I have yet to find apps that are as well designed as Reeder, 1Password or Omnifocus for example.

Beside games, app available on both platform are often in advantage of the iPad because the Playbook app is missing some functions and Kobo is the best example. Also again beside games, where major like EA, Rovio or Gameloft big developer don't seem to jump on the Playbook with app missing like dropbox, sugar sync, Kindle or Netflix (they confirmed they had no plan for Netflix on the PB).

Indeed one could argue that the Android player will bring a lot of app but let's face it, android player is far from a perfect experience of converted app and stability is often an issue. I also contacted some android developer like Avatron Software maker of Air Display or gReader developer and even when I tell them that their app is working fine once converted to the playbook, most of them tell me that they have no interest of porting their app at the moment.

So what I am missing, what can the playbook do so well that the iPad can't? I would be very happy to realize that my playbook can achieve far beyond what I see being it's potential at the moment. Or maybe I'm simply inexperienced at the moment with the device and I'll find app that will blow my mind... So what is it I am missing?

Thanks
    03-07-12 09:55 PM
    No offense but I think what you are missing is that this is a Playbook forum, not the iPad vs Playbook forum. If you have specific questions about how to be more productive with a Playbook, you can ask and you'll probably get a few answers. As it stands though, you are just starting yet another round of Apple vs RIM garbage that solves nothing and just gets people more entrenched in their positions. Yes, there are things you can do with one and not with the other, but what difference does it make if it is not what you need in the device. I can do more with a crappy $300 netbook than either but does that really matter? If you need answers to questions just ask. There is no need though to tie to what you can do with another device (or how you do it).
    03-07-12 10:28 PM
    Ford vs. Chevy
    Remington vs. Mossberg
    .45 vs. 9mm

etc etc etc
    Goldwing07 and cbdwolff7 like this.
    03-07-12 10:34 PM
    Playbooks are missing the nasty smelly greasy hippie users.
    Oh, and the inflated price for the brand name (once RIM realized they couldn't charge a premium for a tablet that is). Granted, at least the Playbook had decent hardware.
    Oh, and RIM doesn't give the processor an extra 128mhz rerelease it as the "new Playbook" every year.
    03-07-12 10:36 PM
    Ford vs. Chevy
    Remington vs. Mossberg
    .45 vs. 9mm

etc etc etc
    Except .45 is better than 9mm, and .40 is the best
    03-07-12 10:37 PM
    .45 or nothing LOL
    03-07-12 10:41 PM
    Flash, for one thing. Some people may not care but there is still a lot of sites playing flash video only. It matters to me. Portability, for another- my PB with case can fit in the back pocket of my jeans, at least some of them. Price- at least currently. $300 for a 64 Gig PB, $700 for an ipad. Plus, I bought a mini hdmi to hdmi adapter off ebay for $1.75. Apple's proprietary adapter costs $40. I'm not knocking the ipad, it's just that different people have different priorities and different budgets. Get what meets your needs.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-07-12 10:47 PM
    Hi, as most of you know Apple announced the new iPad today. For this very reason lot of thread on the subject have been made discussing how the Playbook compares to Apple device.

I received my Playbook about a week ago and I love the size and the way the Os behave and how multitasking works. But one thing I hear often when people compare the two is that the iPad can't do what the Playbook can do.

I have had an iPad 2 for about a year now and got used to it and at the moment I can't see myself becoming as productive with the Playbook as I am with an iPad. Beyond tech specs, when I compare the two I find myself preferring the iPad because of how large and deep is the App Store is when compared to App World. IMO App are often what gives a platform it's real power, far more than the tech specs. I have yet to find apps that are as well designed as Reeder, 1Password or Omnifocus for example.

Beside games, app available on both platform are often in advantage of the iPad because the Playbook app is missing some functions and Kobo is the best example. Also again beside games, where major like EA, Rovio or Gameloft big developer don't seem to jump on the Playbook with app missing like dropbox, sugar sync, Kindle or Netflix (they confirmed they had no plan for Netflix on the PB).

Indeed one could argue that the Android player will bring a lot of app but let's face it, android player is far from a perfect experience of converted app and stability is often an issue. I also contacted some android developer like Avatron Software maker of Air Display or gReader developer and even when I tell them that their app is working fine once converted to the playbook, most of them tell me that they have no interest of porting their app at the moment.

So what I am missing, what can the playbook do so well that the iPad can't? I would be very happy to realize that my playbook can achieve far beyond what I see being it's potential at the moment. Or maybe I'm simply inexperienced at the moment with the device and I'll find app that will blow my mind... So what is it I am missing?

Thanks
    To answer your question...other than using it with a bb phone as a remote, it does nothing that an iPad won't do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-07-12 10:53 PM
    Android is better, no apple is better, you are crazy blackberry is better. Just enjoy your device. RIM can not win any tablet battle until they get apps. No sideloading crap no android player. Bb apps. You have a solid device and a killer selling item (bbm) and you don't put it on your playbook.
    guzprom and speedypear like this.
    03-07-12 10:58 PM
    Some people are - shall I say - more technically oriented.

The iPad2 has 512MB of ram and a 1.3MP camera like something you might find on a keychain in the dollar store.

Technically-minded people would likely reject it on those specs alone. At least I would.

The "new" iPad is catching up.

Others don't know what I just typed - so it doesn't matter to them.

At least that's how I see it.
    cbdwolff7 likes this.
    03-07-12 11:37 PM

The iPad2 has 512MB of ram and a 1.3MP camera like something you might find on a keychain in the dollar store.

Technically-minded people would likely reject it on those specs alone.
    At least I would.

The "new" iPad is catching up.

Others don't know what I just typed - so it doesn't matter to them.

At least that's how I see it.
    Technically-minded people would likely know that comparing two devices with different OSs based on RAM is plain ...

Technically-minded people would also know that megapixels aren't the most important factor. They would also know that any point-and-shoot camera with only 2 megapixels will beat an 8-megapixel camera on a tablet.
    03-07-12 11:43 PM
    No offense but I think what you are missing is that this is a Playbook forum, not the iPad vs Playbook forum. If you have specific questions about how to be more productive with a Playbook, you can ask and you'll probably get a few answers. As it stands though, you are just starting yet another round of Apple vs RIM garbage that solves nothing and just gets people more entrenched in their positions. Yes, there are things you can do with one and not with the other, but what difference does it make if it is not what you need in the device. I can do more with a crappy $300 netbook than either but does that really matter? If you need answers to questions just ask. There is no need though to tie to what you can do with another device (or how you do it).
    I am actually starting to doubt that
    03-07-12 11:43 PM
    So what I am missing, what can the playbook do so well that the iPad can't? I would be very happy to realize that my playbook can achieve far beyond what I see being it's potential at the moment.
    Thanks
    there was a lot of stuff it couldn't do that mattered to some people, such as email, contacts and calendar. also the app selection is far less, even if theres many useless fart apps in the app store we're talkin 500,000 apps vs 10,000 or less.

also since the ipad was the first tablet, everyone looks for a home button (either physical or virtual like on android) and sometimes people can't figure out the playbooks gesture functions. os 2.0 fixed a lot of issues but RIM should've implemented certain things a long time ago.

.45 or nothing LOL
    you guys are both wrong, the 40 short and weak and the 45 acp (not the 45 colt) don't compare to the .44mag
    03-07-12 11:51 PM
    There is no better.... just what works best for you.....
    LeKeiser likes this.
    03-07-12 11:54 PM
    Okay Mr Gunman Lawyer

Actually, iPad 2 has a .3 mp front facing and a .7 mp back facing. So more like something out of a gumball machine.
    AggreX likes this.
    03-07-12 11:59 PM
    To me the only benefits of the playbook is flash, portability price and speakers.
    The other specs are either better in the ipad or are of no use to me on a tablet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    03-08-12 06:21 AM
    IPad cannot multitask properly.
    03-08-12 06:33 AM
    If I'm not wrong, at least here in France, when you get an Ipad, you need to get a special subscription with your operator. Costs more even before you fist time charge your Ipad.
    03-08-12 06:33 AM
    From here on, any threads that are dealing with the so called PB vs whatever, will be just passed by for me.. I DO NOT CARE what the other does. I have a PB and I am happy with it and that is it.. The problem with these threads, they just intice everyone to make a statement (such as I am making now) and its just plain silly.. SO my last post and reading of these useless threads will maybe help stop them... goodbye
    03-08-12 06:40 AM
    Playbooks are missing the nasty smelly greasy hippie users.
    Oh, and the inflated price for the brand name (once RIM realized they couldn't charge a premium for a tablet that is). Granted, at least the Playbook had decent hardware.
    Oh, and RIM doesn't give the processor an extra 128mhz rerelease it as the "new Playbook" every year.

That's the impression Apple wants to give by usurping the Beatles. The truth is closer to George Bush SR , who Steve Jobs worked for and Cheney/Haliburton who switched over to iOS not to mention Apple's data mining and various user privacy violations. Hypocrisy in action. Dirty Hippies never do this right? But Apple does . Bush and Cheney should be the New Apple Icons, their pictures posted in every Apple store billboard size smiling down at you.
    Last edited by Apelles1; 03-08-12 at 08:40 AM.
    03-08-12 08:29 AM
    To me the only benefits of the playbook is flash, portability price and speakers.
    The other specs are either better in the ipad or are of no use to me on a tablet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    I value my privacy , RIM seems to be the only mobile OS that is clean and not plagued with data mining and various other privacy violations that are rampant on Google/Android and iOS
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-08-12 08:36 AM
    Honestly, I don't think any tablet on the market right now can seriously be used for "productivity" by *most* people (I know there are exceptions). After the novelty wears off, most tablets end up collecting dust for weeks at a time before someone picks it up to read a book or play a game for 5 minutes. Why spend $700 for that?

Even though the iPad beats the Playbook in terms of apps and hardware features, I still think the Playbook is a better value at $299 for a 64GB. I sincerely hope that RIM abandons all aspirations at charging iPad prices for the time being. I think its pretty much a given that the current PB will stay cheap, but the new one had better be value priced as well.
    03-08-12 08:47 AM
    I like the form factor of the PB, it's small enough to fit into my handbags. I like that I can bridge my BB to the PB, where I can use my phone's connection everywhere. I like that bridge conserve more battery compared to wifi hotspot. I like that I don't need an app for everything cause I can have proper "desktop" browser experience. I like that I'm currently typing out this message on my BB.

I know that the iPad can't do the above listed. And yes, we need more apps, that's a shortfall we have to accept. Hardware wise, the PB is perfect. The improvement needed is the software, aka the apps.

Now somebody slaps those developers awake cause I'm sure they are rejecting the idea of developing for PB even before they tried to use one.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-08-12 09:12 AM
    The only "true" comparison you can get is a hardware one, and that can be found on the CB homepage right now. You can also compare OS features and ecosystems head to head as well. All other comparisons are based more on usage and expectations, which are purely subjective.

As BlackBerry enthusiasts we seem to be mighty sensitive about the anti-RIM bias that's pervasive in the media. Yet some of us will turn around and deride the iPad simply because it's got an Apple logo on it. Take a hard look at the details behind some of the new hardware (namely the screen and the camera)...any tech enthusiast will say they're nothing to sneer at, particularly at that price point.

Let me ask you all a question. If the next PlayBook came out with a 1080p display, a camera lens that rivals point and shoot cameras, and a quad core GPU, would we be tripping all over ourselves in excitement, or would we look at ourselves as a bunch of sheep willing to buy whatever "incremental" spec bumped product RIM has put out? I think I know the answer...
    Last edited by Blackberry Guy; 03-08-12 at 10:01 AM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-08-12 09:18 AM
    Another pointless thread and me posting in it
    03-08-12 09:34 AM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD