Lots of pages I use still use Flash. To get this to work I downloaded Flash, a beta version of Firefox and then some other thing so I can call on Firefox to make it work from Chrome. Then remember reading not to run it full screen or switch to another app. Phew.
    That my friend is absolutely hideous! That is like if was to fly to Australia and back via Moscow just because i need to go to the bathroom.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    10-08-12 02:24 PM
    Certainly not. Plenty of people complain that apps designed for the smartphone are crap on the Nexus 7. You can throw out the opinion argument, but I'm certainly not alone in it.

Bing Maps consistently works better than Google Maps. And I've got Google Maps sideloaded just for the sake of comparison.

The PB UI is far superior, being able to access menus consistently with a swipe down from the top is a huge advantage over Android.

Except the PB doesn't have no apps at all. It has less apps, but nonetheless, it still has plenty. There are a lot of perfectly happy PB users who aren't feeling there's a lack of apps.

Right, and overall the user experience on the PB is far superior to the user experience on the Nexus 7.

Most of the time the apps aren't designed better, or well at all. Everyone will consistently agree that Android tablet apps don't come close to iPad apps. Android apps are just low quality across the board.

There are other threads for counter examples. The Nexus 7 is generally better in portrait mode than the PB, but it's not even comparable to the PB in landscape mode.

And that's proof that you fell for Apple's marketing.

If it were a fact, people would have talked about PPI before Apple made a big deal of it. Nobody ever did before the iPhone 4. That's proof that it's not important.

That's because you can get higher PPI screens cheaply, not because you absolutely need it, and not because it's the most important. Viewing Angle is by far a much more important metric than PPI.

It doesn't matter how sharp the screen is if the colours are inverted. It doesn't matter how sharp the screen is if all you see is your reflection. It doesn't matter how sharp the screen is if the colours are over or under saturated. You can't just focus on one spec and ignore all the others. That's just stupid.
    Your post is simply all about your opinion. And you seem to have somehow gotten the idea that if someone's opinion is different than yours they are wrong.

I am sorry that my opinions have upset you but you need to let go of being a fanboy and let everyone be happy with what's works for them.

A couple minor points: You constantly saying I fell for Apples marketing when You are the only one bringing up Apple just makes You look rediculous. We were talking about the Playbook vs the Nexus. Why do you need to keep bringing Apple into this? Thus has nothing to do with Apple.

Also howcan you say that "viewing angle is by far a much more important metric than PPI"? That's absurd. I don't know about you but for me and almost everybody else we view our tablets head on on close to it. Viewing angle only comes into play in very rare situations. PPI is visible Every Single Time you look at your tablet.

You need to let go of your fanboy driven misconceptions.

I am sorry that my opinions seem to have upset you. Like I already said I prefer the PB OS and with some hardware upgrades it would be Amazing. The fact of the matter is there is some ways that the Nexus is currently better than the Playbook. I am sorry that you are unable to accept that fact.
    10-08-12 03:28 PM
    I've had a play on a Nexus. It's nice and fast. Screen is good. Build quality is crap (compared to a playbook) but with that you get the fact that it is light. The whole Android OS is a bit all-over-the place but it's fine enough. I wanted more than 16GB of space though so got a 64GB playbook. I only really miss having Skype on there.

Oh, hello everyone
    10-09-12 05:35 AM
    Build quality?? They're both flat pieces of glass on one side and flat pieces of plastic on the other. Zero moving parts...a couple holes for connections... a couple tiny buttons for power/volume. But the Nexus DOES have better materials. PB doesn't have Gorilla glass. That being said, I'll admit I'm biased against BBs supposed "superior build quality". Of the 8 BBs I've owned, 6 had to be returned due to poor build quality. 2 of them had to be put right back in the box and returned to the store within minutes of getting them home. Every Android device I've had (I'm now on my 5th...but I'm counting my girlfriends Nexus 7 since I use it now and then LOL) has, and still is working perfectly right outta the box.
    10-09-12 07:05 AM
    Build quality?? They're both flat pieces of glass on one side and flat pieces of plastic on the other. Zero moving parts...a couple holes for connections... a couple tiny buttons for power/volume. But the Nexus DOES have better materials. PB doesn't have Gorilla glass. That being said, I'll admit I'm biased against BBs supposed "superior build quality". Of the 8 BBs I've owned, 6 had to be returned due to poor build quality. 2 of them had to be put right back in the box and returned to the store within minutes of getting them home. Every Android device I've had (I'm now on my 5th...but I'm counting my girlfriends Nexus 7 since I use it now and then LOL) has, and still is working perfectly right outta the box.
    The Nexus 7 doesn't have gorilla glass either.
    10-09-12 07:30 AM
    The Nexus 7 does not have Gorilla Glass. Its something different called corning glass. Here's the insert from their site.

SCREEN
    7� 1280x800 HD display (216 ppi)
    Back-lit IPS display
    Scratch-resistant Corning glass
    1.2MP front-facing camera

Also if you go to CNET.com they have a product build test and they confirmed it was not Gorilla Glass.
    10-09-12 07:32 AM
    Thanks again for continuing to post.

Experience with the Nexus continues. The Boat browser seems to do a pretty good job at Flash and full screen (though the bottom black bar doing what swiping is for is still present unless a video is playing). I think closing an app involves pressing the home screen button, then "list all running apps" button and then I can swipe them away. So I'm getting used to it.

I've pulled out the USB cable to copy some files over to the Nexus where with Playbook I'd just use the WiFi mapped drive method. Android will no doubt have 45 ways of doing this on WiFi, some with adverts! I'll look into it.

Can't believe I'm still undecided after a week.
    10-09-12 07:51 AM

Experience with the Nexus continues. The Boat browser seems to do a pretty good job at Flash and full screen (though the bottom black bar doing what swiping is for is still present unless a video is playing). I think closing an app involves pressing the home screen button, then "list all running apps" button and then I can swipe them away. So I'm getting used to it.

I've pulled out the USB cable to copy some files over to the Nexus where with Playbook I'd just use the WiFi mapped drive method. Android will no doubt have 45 ways of doing this on WiFi, some with adverts! I'll look into it.

you dont close apps, let them do their on thing
    10-09-12 07:54 AM
    I agree, I leave my apps running until I notice my N7 is acting buggy then I close the apps. Owning both devices I was trying to figure out which device I prefer more but there are flaws in both devices and some benefits.

If you are trying to figure which device to keep I suggest both. Having a 2 year old daughter who is learning everyday having a tablet for her is a great option. Both devices having great learning and development apps for kids and they work.
    10-09-12 08:12 AM
    Yeah owning both devices is good. The PlayBook does feel like a sturdy business device. I use the back camera to scan projections and things like that. The build quality of the Playbook is good and the bridge just keeps getting better, especially as I've mentioned before the adding of sms capabilities. That said, I'm usually on my nexus more as it seems to have apps for almost anything I can think of. Hp printer connections, social apps usb OTG netflix, and Skype and all that. But I fear that when the ipad mini comes out it will definitely blow out the nexus and Playbook.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    10-09-12 08:33 AM
    android has its own kind of taskmanager, you dont close apps they close on its own in the background when they are not used or use to much resources (when not used). No data gets lost.
    its really getting used to for me i always wont to close apps, but on android it even has negative results to use something like a task killer.
    10-09-12 09:02 AM
    The Nexus 7 doesn't have gorilla glass either.
    Depends which website you read....several specifically say it DOES have Gorilla Glass. Pcmag.com and dailytech.com both say it has. Since my ASUS Infinity has it, and the Nexus is made by ASUS, I'm going to have to assume it does. But, still treat it as if it doesn't....the same as all my devices.
    10-09-12 11:54 AM
    Being the owner of a Nexus 7 16gb tablet. I can say with certainty, that it does not have gorilla glass.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    10-09-12 12:05 PM
    Oh well, you should have a screen protector regardless of the glass quality. Even with a Zagg Invisible Shield, I act as if the most gentle touch will cause a scratch LOL
    10-09-12 12:27 PM

I see why you were complaining about Android being more complicated: It's because you are making it more complicated.

To "close" an app on Android you hut the home button. That's it. That's all. Anything else is unnecessary and simply makes your device run Slower.

On the Playbook you need to close your running apps or you start getting weird behavior like your active app closing on its own because of lack of memory. Android doesn't work like that. With a few exceptions Android apps are not actually running in the background (unless you specifically leave them dong a task like playing music or tracking your GPS, but in that case you will see a notification in the task bar) that are just frozen and are not using any resources. This is why you complained about the task switching on Android vs Playbook and how it felt like they weren't really running and had to pause and resume when you switched to them. Playbook apps are all actually running and so need to be manually closed. Android apps are not.

Trust me the only thing you need to do to close an app is hit home. Try that for a while you will notice your Nexus runs faster and smoother.
    10-09-12 12:35 PM
    I own both as well. I must say, that although I vastly prefer my 9930 to Android phones (which I've also tried), I find I end up using my Nexus 7 over my PB. A big one for me is Nav. The latest versions of Google Maps are AMAZING. It really is. An Android tablet on a hotspot in the car is the best nav experience money can buy. Just the fact that the PB screen won't stay on for more than 5 mins before going dark makes it dangerous to use as a Nav.

I also love the Kindle App on the Nexus 7. It looks beautiful, and is my eReader of choice in a dark room. Netflix also runs flawlessly, and the screen looks great IMO.

For email and messenging PB is superior (no surprise), but I use the device I have with me, and for the reasons above, that is usually the Nexus 7. The good news here is that everything I've complained about can be fixed by 3rd party developers pretty quickly (and a small OS update). I'll keep the PB, and hope that feedback continues to make it a better device. It's worth hanging on if you're already invested in the BB ecosystem, which I am.

Nick
    10-09-12 12:52 PM
    So android basically copied apple right down to the home button.
    10-09-12 01:02 PM
    I own both as well. I must say, that although I vastly prefer my 9930 to Android phones (which I've also tried), I find I end up using my Nexus 7 over my PB. A big one for me is Nav. The latest versions of Google Maps are AMAZING. It really is. An Android tablet on a hotspot in the car is the best nav experience money can buy. Just the fact that the PB screen won't stay on for more than 5 mins before going dark makes it dangerous to use as a Nav.

I also love the Kindle App on the Nexus 7. It looks beautiful, and is my eReader of choice in a dark room. Netflix also runs flawlessly, and the screen looks great IMO.

For email and messenging PB is superior (no surprise), but I use the device I have with me, and for the reasons above, that is usually the Nexus 7. The good news here is that everything I've complained about can be fixed by 3rd party developers pretty quickly (and a small OS update). I'll keep the PB, and hope that feedback continues to make it a better device. It's worth hanging on if you're already invested in the BB ecosystem, which I am.

Nick
    Your screen should not be going off while using navigation. You are probably refering to the screen dimming?

To disable that go into your Navigation app > Hit the menu button in the top right corner > Settings > Unselect: Screen Dimming (Screen dims between instructions to conserve power).

Done screen will stay at full brightness.
    10-09-12 01:11 PM
    Nexus7 does not have a home "button". There are three icons on the bottom of the display: back to return to the previous screen, home which takes you to the app drawer and loaded apps which shows you thumbnails of last screen pictures. Tapping on one of these brings up that screen. Any app can be dismissed by swiping. The physical buttons are power and the volume rocker.
    10-09-12 01:31 PM
    Your screen should not be going off while using navigation. You are probably refering to the screen dimming?

To disable that go into your Navigation app > Hit the menu button in the top right corner > Settings > Unselect: Screen Dimming (Screen dims between instructions to conserve power).

Done screen will stay at full brightness.
    I'm afraid that is not accurate (unless this most recent update changed something). Even with screen dimming off, the screen times out and goes black. It may be 15 mins and not 5, I don't recall (and I don't have the PB in front of me), but keeping the screen lit with the Nav maximized is not possible. ***edit*** just to be clear, I'm talking about using Google Maps on the PB

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...26/index2.html
    Last edited by NickinVA; 10-09-12 at 01:55 PM. Reason: clarity / added link
    10-09-12 01:42 PM
    I'm afraid that is not accurate (unless this most recent update changed something). Even with screen dimming off, the screen times out and goes black. It may be 15 mins and not 5, I don't recall (and I don't have the PB in front of me), but keeping the screen lit with the Nav maximized is not possible. ***edit*** just to be clear, I'm talking about using Google Maps on the PB
    Sorry my mistake. You were talking about navigation on a Nexus and then made a comment about the PB, I thought you were still talking about the Nexus.

The Nexus's screen will stay on. You are correct the PB's won't.
    NickinVA likes this.
    10-09-12 01:55 PM
    Sorry my mistake. You were talking about navigation on a Nexus and then made a comment about the PB, I thought you were still talking about the Nexus.

The Nexus's screen will stay on. You are correct the PB's won't.

No sweat - I appreciate your trying to help
    10-09-12 01:59 PM
    I am absolutely astounded at how the smug, ignorance based, Android bashing is lapped up by many in this community. The Android OS is mature, responsive, quick, and allows the full tablet experience, unlike the PB. The apps are not, in the vast majority, tiny cellphone apps maximized poorly to a larger screen; they are beautifully designed mature apps that allow you to do everything, in different ways. The choice of apps is astounding and most of the free ones are far better than the paid ones on the PB. The PB App World gives 4 and 5 star ratings to absolute junk, such as the few free chess apps available. The free Android chess apps are beautifully designed, attractive, function well, and are a joy to use. Android provides Skype, Netflix, etc, etc, etc. It is not laggy. It is not buggy. It works out of the box, unlike the PB. Try an Android tablet and see. The PB has nice hardware, for sure; it would be wonderful to have a PB running Jelly Bean.
    10-09-12 02:01 PM
    No sweat - I appreciate your trying to help
    When using the Magellan Compass app on my PB the screen stays on the whole time. Not sure which navigation app you are using but you may want to switch.
    10-09-12 02:47 PM
    When using the Magellan Compass app on my PB the screen stays on the whole time. Not sure which navigation app you are using but you may want to switch.
    Magellan is not good

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    NickinVA likes this.
    10-10-12 12:39 AM
115 12345