thanks for the ongoing input. I had no intention to spark any battles by starting this thread. they are devices, I don't want to get religious about it!

I have continued to play around with both devices over the weekend. I'm a techie at heart so I think I found the right workarounds. The Boat android browser seems to make up for what Chrome lacks in terms of Flash. it's nice to start up apps and them not get closed by the OS. Naturally, Android apps load up more quickly.

still undecided for now,
    10-07-12 04:58 AM
    The nexus is an awesome device and just cos you like the playbook doesn't mean you have to berate another device. Most of the apps that people use on the playbook especially navigation was sideloaded from android. If android was then don't use their apps. The playbook is good yes but it misses some essential apps like a good voip client, chat, skype and netflix. It has its positives like bridge, the browser, etc but its age is showing in terms of weight, keyboard, screen estate lack of usb otg etc. each have their positives and negatives.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    But yet people do that to pb constantly on here.

I also have an issue with people saying "needed apps" what is needed by one person may be trash to another. Needed is personal.
    10-07-12 07:14 AM
    I never seen point of owning two tablets just like do not see point of owning two game consoles.
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    10-07-12 07:49 AM
    I own both and use them every day. I love the gesture system built into the Playbook OS and even find times when I wish the Nexus would use the same gestures. The one thing I wish was that gestures all worked the same, even between the Android player and the rest of the OS (I'll swipe across the bottom of App World to go back one screen and nothing happens).

Quite often, I'll reach for the Nexus 7 instead of the Playbook, even if I have the same app on both devices. Like, right now, accessing this forum via Tapatalk. On the Playbook, using the Android player, Tapatalk doesn't have access to the predictive text features of the keyboard. This means I end up with a lot more typing errors trying to use Tapatalk on the Playbook. So, when I go to access forums, I grab the Nexus 7 where I have more keyboard options, and can use Swype or another keyboard.

When I want to watch something on Amazon Prime, I grab the Playbook. The native Flash support really works well, and the speaker placement makes for a better listening experience. I haven't tried connecting to HDMI and outputting streaming videos, but that wouldn't even be an option on the Nexus 7. I've got Flash side loaded on the Nexus 7, and using xScope Browser works well for watching Amazon Prime. The sound is just better on the Playbook.

As far as memory, the Playbook initially wins out, since I have a 64GB Playbook vs the 16GB Nexus. But, the Nexus 7 supports OTG, so I have access to my flash drives and microSD cards. I have movies and TV shows loaded across ~96GB, which is nice to be able to access from the Nexus 7 or my laptop when on the road. It would be nice if they added support for OTG on the Playbook.

I think the point is that both devices have their benefits. With how cheap the prices are on both, it really doesn't have to be an either/or situation. I wish the best features of both came in one device. Since they don't, I'll carry both and pick up the one that best suits the current need...
    10-07-12 10:25 AM
    But yet people do that to pb constantly on here.

I also have an issue with people saying "needed apps" what is needed by one person may be trash to another. Needed is personal.
    When people do that to the PlayBook here they are called trolls yet posters don't mind bashing another product

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    10-07-12 10:38 AM
    When people do that to the PlayBook here they are called trolls yet posters don't mind bashing another product

Maybe because it is a playbook forum perhaps?
    Chaddface, bungaboy and esk369 like this.
    10-07-12 10:42 AM
    "Speed Forge. Yes, it's better, but PB native apps are much higher quality than any Android app is on the Nexus 7."
    Your opinion is that the native apps on the PB are better than those on the Nexus. That is your opinion only.
    Certainly not. Plenty of people complain that apps designed for the smartphone are crap on the Nexus 7. You can throw out the opinion argument, but I'm certainly not alone in it.

You really find the Maps better on the PB? If anything it is a wash, or at best personal preference.
    Bing Maps consistently works better than Google Maps. And I've got Google Maps sideloaded just for the sake of comparison.

I don't think anyone could make a compelling argument as to how the native apps are better on either one.
    The PB UI is far superior, being able to access menus consistently with a swipe down from the top is a huge advantage over Android.

So that being what it is, it comes down to add on apps, and as you have already conceded having a app designed for a slightly smaller screen is infinitely better than not having an app at all.
    Except the PB doesn't have no apps at all. It has less apps, but nonetheless, it still has plenty. There are a lot of perfectly happy PB users who aren't feeling there's a lack of apps.

Who cares why it is? I'm not talking about hardware, I'm talking about user experience.
    Right, and overall the user experience on the PB is far superior to the user experience on the Nexus 7.

So what if it is just better designed apps, it is still better for the user.
    Most of the time the apps aren't designed better, or well at all. Everyone will consistently agree that Android tablet apps don't come close to iPad apps. Android apps are just low quality across the board.

And if you don't find that the Nexus performs any better based on the way you use it, then that's great. However there are many many people that will tell you that based on their usage the Nexus does perform noticably better (heck just read this thread if you need examples).
    There are other threads for counter examples. The Nexus 7 is generally better in portrait mode than the PB, but it's not even comparable to the PB in landscape mode.

Why are you talking about Apple's marketing? I didn't fall for anything. I think having a minimum PPI is the most important metric for a screen because IT IS. Period.
    And that's proof that you fell for Apple's marketing.

This has nothing to do with marketing. It is a fact.
    If it were a fact, people would have talked about PPI before Apple made a big deal of it. Nobody ever did before the iPhone 4. That's proof that it's not important.

Look at small text on the PB and the Nexus side by side and then try to tell me the Nexus' screen isn't better. You will need to zoom in on the PB because fine details are simply not visible on low PPI screens. And since you keep bringing up Apple and the iPad: The Nexus' screen is inarguably better than the original iPad's screen. The only reason people didn't complain about the resolution on the iPad and on the iPhone when they were released is because for that time they were satisfactory. Tech changes quickly and they became dated and poor quality quickly. That is why they were both upgraded. Nobody releases tablets with that low PPI anymore.
    That's because you can get higher PPI screens cheaply, not because you absolutely need it, and not because it's the most important. Viewing Angle is by far a much more important metric than PPI.

It doesn't matter how sharp the screen is if the colours are inverted. It doesn't matter how sharp the screen is if all you see is your reflection. It doesn't matter how sharp the screen is if the colours are over or under saturated. You can't just focus on one spec and ignore all the others. That's just stupid.
    10-07-12 05:19 PM
    I don't have a Nexus 7 but another amoled tablet. The playbook screen seems to me old fashioned now.
    10-07-12 05:59 PM
    Certainly not. Plenty of people complain that apps designed for the smartphone are crap on the Nexus 7. You can throw out the opinion argument, but I'm certainly not alone in it.

Bing Maps consistently works better than Google Maps. And I've got Google Maps sideloaded just for the sake of comparison.

The PB UI is far superior, being able to access menus consistently with a swipe down from the top is a huge advantage over Android.

Except the PB doesn't have no apps at all. It has less apps, but nonetheless, it still has plenty. There are a lot of perfectly happy PB users who aren't feeling there's a lack of apps.

Right, and overall the user experience on the PB is far superior to the user experience on the Nexus 7.

Most of the time the apps aren't designed better, or well at all. Everyone will consistently agree that Android tablet apps don't come close to iPad apps. Android apps are just low quality across the board.

There are other threads for counter examples. The Nexus 7 is generally better in portrait mode than the PB, but it's not even comparable to the PB in landscape mode.

If it were a fact, people would have talked about PPI before Apple made a big deal of it. Nobody ever did before the iPhone 4. That's proof that it's not important.

That's because you can get higher PPI screens cheaply, not because you absolutely need it, and not because it's the most important. Viewing Angle is by far a much more important metric than PPI.

It doesn't matter how sharp the screen is if the colours are inverted. It doesn't matter how sharp the screen is if all you see is your reflection. It doesn't matter how sharp the screen is if the colours are over or under saturated. You can't just focus on one spec and ignore all the others. That's just stupid.
    basically everything you said is your opinion though...we can all express our opinions and there is nothing wrong with that. Everything i bolded is your opinion and not fact. We all need to just let opinion be and not try and get in a war over whose opinion is better.
    10-07-12 06:32 PM
    I don't have a Nexus 7 but another amoled tablet. The playbook screen seems to me old fashioned now.
    The LCD on the Nexus 7 is not Amoled or SAmoled. It is just a IPS LCD panel. And yes I also have the Playbook too.

10-07-12 06:43 PM
    Ah yes, sorry I didn't know that. It's not as good as I thought then. Amoled is better if you read a lot. Maybe IPS is better for photos.
    10-07-12 09:05 PM

Bing maps better than Google maps? That just made me laugh out loud. You are obviously a troll or some very huge fanatic. THE PLAYBOOK DOES NOT HAVE A REAL INBUILT NAVIGATION APP. If it did we won't all have rushed to download nogago or osmand.

10-07-12 09:11 PM
    I used a Playbook before and now with Nexus. Both are great device with its own flaws but overall, I actually like the Playbook more than Nexus 7 in general. I felt the OS is easier to control on the Playbook than Nexus. Switching apps, closing apps are both just much better on Nexus. Holding the Playbook surprisingly is also more comfortable for me. The Nexus main strength is their Google Play apps but with so many apps, most are useless anyway!!

So I do see a lot of Potential with Playbook and its BB10 platform, assuming major developers start developing for this platform!! Otherwise, it will be just paper weight

- Charles
    10-07-12 09:52 PM
    I used a Playbook before and now with Nexus. Both are great device with its own flaws but overall, I actually like the Playbook more than Nexus 7 in general. I felt the OS is easier to control on the Playbook than Nexus. Switching apps, closing apps are both just much better on Nexus. Holding the Playbook surprisingly is also more comfortable for me. The Nexus main strength is their Google Play apps but with so many apps, most are useless anyway!!

So I do see a lot of Potential with Playbook and its BB10 platform, assuming major developers start developing for this platform!! Otherwise, it will be just paper weight

- Charles
    Most apps are useless? You obviously didn't have any use for the nexus 7. And if you are really looking for an easy interface then android cannot be for you. Android is for those who love customization and open source content.

10-07-12 10:57 PM
    Owning both devices I agree with most comments. I use my N716gb rooted and using an OTG w/ 128gb thumb drive strickly for gaming and watching movies which allows me to use my 32gb PB strickly for buisness.

One thing that was left out that puts the PB over the N7 is what the PB will get early 2013. #bb10believe
    10-07-12 11:23 PM
    BBs are great at being "simple" devices. Pretty much anyone can pick them up, and in a short period of time they're getting the full experience. Androids have a learning curve....I didn't like my new Android at first. Mostly because I didn't know a thing about it. Now that I've learned what is required, I know that Android is far better. It amazes me when someone posts a "this sucks about Android" complaint, and it's by a noob with about 2 days worth of Android experience. Android's strongest feature is, if you don't like an app or function, you can customize or alter it to suit your needs. Even core apps can be edited or even deleted/replaced. You just need the know-how. Try doing that with BB....
    10-08-12 12:11 AM
    Most apps are useless? You obviously didn't have any use for the nexus 7. And if you are really looking for an easy interface then android cannot be for you. Android is for those who love customization and open source content.

Oh when I refer to useless, it means out of the 600,000 apps, we are most probably in contact with 1000 apps maybe. A lot apps are just rubbish OR a copy cat or something else.

- Charles
    10-08-12 06:21 AM
    Oh when I refer to useless, it means out of the 600,000 apps, we are most probably in contact with 1000 apps maybe. A lot apps are just rubbish OR a copy cat or something else.

- Charles
    At least all the apps I need are there so what does it matter if there Re others? And there are way more needed apps on it than on the Playbook so what's your point?

10-08-12 07:45 AM
    I own both also. The Nexus 7 convinced me that I could live with an Android phone in the event that BB10 bombs.

It is fast and it does everything that you can expect a tablet to do.

I like Playbook better in some ways. I like the Playbook UI and the unified inbox. Android is getting better but it still feels not altogether the product of one mind. Instead it is the sum of many parts. This aspect of Android gets better with each generation. I actually like Jellybean.

Playbook is slow (it take over seven seconds to open the mail app). But, I like the UI and BB10 looks even better. Plus, many Apps are missing. People convince themselves that they don't need them, but that is not the way it is supposed to work. RIM says that BB10 will have all major apps at launch. It better or I'm not buying it! I'm tired of RIM's broken promises. Playbook does much better with websites that use Flash. You can get Flash to work on Nexus 7 but it sometimes does not work as expected.

Playbook build quality is much better than the Nexus 7. Nexus 7 feels cheap to me. Playbook feel like a quality device.

The thing is that Key Lime Pie is said to be coming soon. Nexus 7 will probably get upgraded very soon after that. Playbook with get BB10, but who knows when?

I like Playbook a bit better but I never recommend it to anyone because I don't want to hear about how it has no Skype or any of the other usual suspects. .
    kidkamel likes this.
    10-08-12 08:07 AM
    I have a Playbook and I bought my husband the Nexus 7. I still love my Playbook, I just wish it was a light and thin as the Nexus 7.
    10-08-12 08:44 AM
    I just connected my printer to my Nexus 7 via an app. One of the good things about android is that the apps work together, so if I'm on my drop box app, I could work with my printer app and if I'm in my Facebook app I could share content with drop box or my printer without leaving the app. It's the little things like this that shows that Android knows where it is headed.

10-08-12 10:23 AM
    I have to agree with majority of the posts on here. Not knocking down my Nexus 7, but while playing with both the N7 and the PB over the weekend. I found myself seeing how powerful the PB really is. Specially after this latest update, it really has made it snappier.

I'm still within my timeframe to either keep my N7 or not, not sure whether I am. I probably will simply because I hate to return things, then of course there is the "geek" factor. I love gadgets. And I prefer unskinned (sense UI, TouchWiz, etc). And the Google Now is a neat handy feature. But how often will I really feel like speaking to my N7?

I had been using my iPhone 4 for a while, but iOS 6 ruined it pretty much and so I pulled out my 9930, combined with my PB it's off the hook. I'd say if you can afford it, keep them both. Next year you will want to see what the new Android OS is all about and you will be set.
    10-08-12 12:01 PM
    To put it simple, from my own experience.

The Nexus has better resolution, but oh boy the PlayBook display is so vibrant, well saturated and has better contrast, brightness.

I invite any Nexus owner to post a sample of their displays at their best brightness level.
    10-08-12 01:19 PM
    Owning both devices I agree with most comments. I use my N716gb rooted and using an OTG w/ 128gb thumb drive strickly for gaming and watching movies which allows me to use my 32gb PB strickly for buisness.

One thing that was left out that puts the PB over the N7 is what the PB will get early 2013. #bb10believe
    isn't it too early to call victory for PB because of BB10 in 2013? have anyone even used BB10 in PB?
    10-08-12 01:54 PM

way too much bias in one post. not going to address everything, but how is swiping up/down to get menu an advantage? i can say you tap on the lower left for menu is a bigger advantage then? how is swiping better than tapping? save yourself a lot more work also
    10-08-12 01:57 PM
115 1234 ...