The touchpad is better because it runs android. The playbook just has better cameras. Bottom line for the same price and both new, I would take the touchpad anyday. But I got my playbook because cost me less than a touchpad from ebay and its brand new.
    12-01-11 09:39 AM
    So the only option for PDFs is Adobe Reader and there isn't any type of search function for it? I have 500-1000pg PDF files for textbooks, there would be no way to jump to specific chapters or sections?
    Am I correct?
    12-01-11 09:44 AM
    I will be re-gifting my TouchPad to a family member for the holiday after just acquiring a PlayBook. I will miss the extra screen real estate as well as the WebOS interface but the bridge functionality with my 9930, higher-rez camera and more abundant apps make the Playbook a pretty easy choice.
    12-01-11 09:52 AM
    Am I correct?
    yes you are correct. I think the touchpad is the same in this respect though
    12-01-11 10:23 AM
    I don't have a Touchpad but I was very curious to see one, having heard so much about it. So I tried one in a shop, not for long but enough to make an impression. The device felt very slow to me, and the browser rubbish. Shame, since otherwise the OS seemed even better than the Playbook's in terms of features and UI.

I'd caution against buying one blindly.
    That was likely one with the original OS with store demo bloat. Our demo was slooooooooow and when I fired up mine it was much more responsive. The demo mode crap made it damn near unusable. Then, the first update made it fly. You can't judge all of them by a demo model which was part of HPs problem.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    12-01-11 10:44 AM
    i just sold my touchpad for a playbook.
    the playbook is far superior
    12-01-11 11:31 AM
    I don't have a Touchpad but I was very curious to see one, having heard so much about it. So I tried one in a shop, not for long but enough to make an impression. The device felt very slow to me, and the browser rubbish. Shame, since otherwise the OS seemed even better than the Playbook's in terms of features and UI.

I'd caution against buying one blindly.
    You're kidding right? It has QNX and a touch sensitive bezel and does bezel swipes?
    I'm glad you said "seemed" - because things are not always as they seem.

The PlayBook is a supported device with a software update in the oven.

TouchPad is a discontinued device with an OS that might never be used again.

The PlayBook should do all of what you stated nicely. The one I'd get is kinda obvious...
    Thread should have died with the first post - correct answer ^^^
    But clearly a lot of home brewers clinging to their palms...

Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-01-11 at 12:22 PM.
    12-01-11 12:16 PM
    playbook, clearly

or both, why not? just for fun
    Good answer as well -get em both and be done with it.
    12-01-11 12:21 PM
    Erm...OP - you're on a PB forum. What are you expecting?
    12-01-11 12:31 PM
    Get both

I like the look and feel of WebOS a lot more, and I feel like Palm had a more coherent development strategy and tools (neat if you're going to play at making "my first app"!)
    12-01-11 01:36 PM
    Am I correct?
    Attachment 97953

Not quite. You can go to any page you want, just not jump to a chapter (unless ig has a proper link).
    12-01-11 02:09 PM
    Playbook is cheaper. You cant get the Touchpads not $99 anymore, unless price doesn't matter to you.
    12-01-11 02:26 PM
    I have both.

There are somethings I like better in the TouchPad, I'll just list them here:

- Handling of the cards and ability to stack them.
    - Minor details, such as the TP recognizing when you're 'throwing away' and app, even at 60 degree swipes. The Playbook is very fickle, you have to throw it almost straight up, or it just think's your tapping on it and maximizes the app.
    - Customer support... deep inside the settings tab, I was able to actually chat with a WebOS rep when my USB cable needed replacing.
    - Self Diagnosis tools and tests in the TouchPad. You can then connect to customer support and chat with them inside the TP. As you can tell, I was very impressed with that feature.
    - App Catalog had some nice features I wish they utilized in App World, such as bookmarking apps you like to download or buy later.

However, in spite of all that, I gave my TP to my daughter for her use, the PB is my device. Why? TP was laggy, PB not so much.

Inspite of my 'overclocking' to 1.5 ghz... the TP was at times unresponsive or slow. The PB is far snappier than the TP, although sometimes I also wonder about the PB as well. The PB screen is a lot sharper than the TP. Videos look a lot better on it, inspite of the smaller size.

The fact that the PB fits in my coat pockets, can bridge with my BB makes it more portable. Also, the dual camera's come in handy, and I can snap things to Evernote on the fly.

So now, everyday, I have my keys, wallet, BB, and PB with me at all times...wherever I go.

The PB just serves my needs better.
    12-01-11 03:33 PM
    These are very similar products. HP Touchpad comes with the WEB OS developed by Palm and later acquired by HP. Playbook uses a QNX based OS that essentially copies WEB OS in some ways (Task switching being the most obvious example). Both offer multi-tasking but only TouchPad offers email. The Playbook has no native email or calendar applications and relies on web access or an external Blackberry device to access these functions. Playbook is not really suited for mobile professionals, more the casual web-browsing or Blackberry enthusiast.

Both tablets were launched in 2011 and both saw dramatic price reductions to spur movement of stock within months of launch. The HP touchpad has deeper market penetration than the Playbook, in fact the Touchpad is currently surpassed only by the iPad in terms of total tablet owners. That does not mean there are a lot of Touchpad owners out there, the price cuts moved what stock was remaining rather quickly.

Neither tablet boasts much in the way of application selection, or a robust development community, this is mainly due to poor adoption in the market. Both devices are capable of running advanced applications, there are just not many people developing for either platform.

My recommendation, as long as you can get a price in the $149.00 range (or lower) is to go with the HP touchpad. The 10" screen is better for document review, video, pretty much everything. If ultra-portability is a factor, and email and scheduling not a priority the Playbook is a fine option, though again, you should pay not more than $149.00. (RIM has been promising to add calendar and email 'in a few months' but they have been saying that since March, the current release date is - you guessed it-a few months from now)

Hope this information helps with your decision.
    12-01-11 04:21 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. Gonna check out a TP after class. Depending on what I think of the size I'll probably pick it up. I figure if I don't like it I'll just trade with my dad or uncle for there PB.
    12-01-11 06:05 PM
    BOOOO!! j/k - to each his own!
    12-01-11 06:28 PM
    Still not sure. I really like the size of the playbook. It all depends on just how big the TP is.
    12-01-11 07:27 PM
    Still not sure. I really like the size of the playbook. It all depends on just how big the TP is.
    have you held an original iPad?
    12-01-11 08:10 PM
    Is the original iPad like the PB? I ended up buying it. The thing weighs a ton, lol.
    12-03-11 05:37 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD