I was using this for my Galaxy Tab and the same settings should work good for the Playbook. I'm ripping the new Star Trek movie now plus this program will remove the copyright if you are not familiar with the program.
    Here are some screen shots for the settings.

04-27-11 08:41 PM
    I'm ripping this from a DVD
    04-27-11 08:45 PM
    For a standard def DVD width 720, height 480.

For a blu-ray, you can go with 1024 for the width and keep aspect ratio (first screen shot).
    04-27-11 09:31 PM
    hmm.. i never seem to get past the processing of the source (dvd drive). Suggestions?
    04-27-11 10:17 PM
    If you plan to ever watch these hooked up to a surround capable setup using HDMI out, might as well set the sound to Dolby Pro Logic II. I would also set the audio bitrate at 320, but thats just me. If your tight on space, 160 would be preferred i suppose.

I just did a quick preview using a DVD clip and i saw no visual difference using 1500kbps and 3000kbps. I watched on the PB itself, not over HDMI on a larger display.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 04-27-11 at 10:26 PM.
    CanadianThomas and bquinney like this.
    04-27-11 10:24 PM
    You need to remove the encryption first. You can use AnyDVD (not free, but will do Blu-ray), or some people are using a program called DVD Decrypter, I think (not sure if its free)

hmm.. i never seem to get past the processing of the source (dvd drive). Suggestions?
    Chaddface likes this.
    04-27-11 10:26 PM
    For a standard def DVD width 720, height 480.

For a blu-ray, you can go with 1024 for the width and keep aspect ratio (first screen shot).
    For Blu-ray, or any HD source of 720p or higher, I would also go up on the video bitrate to at least 4000, preferably 5000+. I haven't tried it yet on the playbook but for HD to have a nice picture, resolution is not enough.
    12-19-11 07:37 PM
    I'm posting some sample vids i have encoded and the pre sets for handbrake in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ersion-676282/
    12-19-11 08:33 PM
    Handbrake will only process unencrypted video, which most commercial DVDs aren't.

Handbrake could help the situation here by generating a simple "Source is encrypted" message instead of endlessly scanning the DVD but that's your issue I reckon.

Pre-process the DVD by ripping it to hard-disk first, and then point Handbrake at the decrypted hard-disk image. I use a program called DVD Shrink on my PC - exceptionally quick, and free!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 12-20-11 at 03:34 AM.
    12-20-11 03:29 AM
    Good thread, thanks.
    12-20-11 06:34 AM
    Handbrake and dvd43, no need to copy it to the hard-disk.
    12-20-11 07:02 PM
    I use DVD Cloner 8 ( I know there is a newer version out but this fit like a glove from day 1) along with DVD43 to clean and rip to my backup DVD disk, and then use Handbrake for the conversion/tweaking.

Works great on Dell XPS, can clean/rip disk in about 1/3 of movie runtime, then convert using handbrake (for some reason this runs a bit longer than the ripping process), but comes out clean and clear.
    12-21-11 09:19 AM
    I have used Handbrake successfully except for one thing---the volume is too low. Is there a setting in handbrake that I can adjust to deal with this?
    12-23-11 08:21 AM
    Am using DVDDecrypter, and Handbrake.

Can't seem to get a movie to display on the Playbook in the proper aspect ratio - so either everybody has frogfaces, or they all look like stringbeans.

Using profile 'Regular - Normal'

Tried with the Strict Anamorphic setting, or even Anamorphic set to None.

What am i doing wrong?

Movies tried so far: Armageddon, Day after Tomorrow, Batman Begins, Independence Day

This is what Handbrake tells me about Independence Day:
    - source 720x480
    - width: 720x320, keep aspect ratio
    - anamorphic to 'none', modulus '16'

Also tried this with Anamorphic set to 'strict'.

Still, aspect ratio when playing seems off...

I did try to use profile 'Apple - Apple TV' - which did render in the proper aspect, but the video itself was now centered in the display of the playbook -- black borders all around the movie itself.
    Last edited by TheRealRoland; 01-06-12 at 04:20 PM.
    01-06-12 04:17 PM
    It probably is because i've been playing with too many settings.

To get the full width, always in the proper aspect ratio, but maybe too much letterboxing for you:

No Anamorphing, modulus set to 16; aspect ratio remains on.

So the end result will be rendered with width of 720, and height is automatically calculated (and aspect ratio preserved).

Maybe not the best of quality for each movie, but I just want as many movies on my PB :-)

BTW, ordered a 64Gb PB through ShopBlackberry on the 2nd of January, it's already on its way... Can't wait, especially since my regular travel is about to kick off again.
    01-06-12 06:06 PM
    The torrent movie works well on my PC. Used Handbrake to encode it. Then drag and drop to Playbook. Video works but no audio. I've tried the settings shown in the earlier posting. Still no sound at all. Any suggestions?
    01-24-12 11:04 AM
    Wow, everyone is using handbrake. I found that to be very complicated.
    Freemake is working, but it's slow.
    Any other good converters?
    TIA
    01-24-12 02:01 PM
    I'm trying all kinds of settings. No luck. Will try OP's settings. Thanks!
    02-23-12 11:11 AM
    Freemake is better, faster and it even has a setting specifically for the PB. How can you go wrong and it is FREE!
    Free Video Converter| MP4 FLV 3GP AVI MKV DVD| FREE Download
    Chrisy likes this.
    02-23-12 11:14 AM
    Freemake is better, faster and it even has a setting specifically for the PB. How can you go wrong and it is FREE!
    Free Video Converter| MP4 FLV 3GP AVI MKV DVD| FREE Download
    Thank you! Uninstalled Handbrake and am using Freemake now! So much easier, faster and it actually worked. I just tested it on the first chapter of the DVD. Cool!
    02-23-12 11:48 AM
    I don't see a setting for PB under 3.0.1 Are you using a different version.
    02-29-12 11:07 AM
    Handbrake has no reviews PlayBook settings that I could find.

Freemake, the latest version, does. So much easier than messing with Handbrake settings!
    02-29-12 12:08 PM
    I don't see a setting for PB under 3.0.1 Are you using a different version.
    Along the bottom scroll until you find "Blackberry" then in the window that appears change the device to PlayBook.
    02-29-12 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD