Here is a possible fix for the flashing Bridge Messages/Bridge Locked repeated password prompt problem without wiping.

1. Close Bridge Messages, if open.
    2. Go into the Date & Time settings on the PB.
    3. Set the date either forward or back several years.
    4. Open Bridge Messages, enter password if needed, and see if Messages works normally.
    5. If Bridge Messages does not work, repeat all the above but with a farther out date.
    6. If Bridge Messages does work, leave Bridge Messages open and go back to Date & Time settings. Set to the correct date.
    7. Disconnect (not Lock) the Bridge.
    8. Tap on Bridge Messages, re-enter Password if needed, and see if Bridge Messages works normally.

I did the above and Bridge Messages is now working for me, with the correct date set, even after closing and re-opening Messages, all without wiping my Playbook.

Some background on what happened to me: After I received the .688 update and restarted my PB, I used it for a bit and turned it off. When I turned it back on and tried to use Bridge Messages, I received the repeated prompts saying bridge was locked. It didn't matter that I would enter the correct password, I kept getting the same prompt. Disabling the password on the phone didn't matter. I could not access Messages through Bridge. I could access all the other Bridge apps.

I tried everything. Pairing, unpairing, repairing (Ha!), changing the password, uninstalling and reinstalling the bridge on the phone, and deleting recent messages. Nothing worked. I did not want to wipe, been down that path and hate it. I found the solution on the Forums for accessing them by using address http://localhost:187/messages/ in the browser for a bit. I didn't realize that the Bridge sessions were separate instances of the browser. Eventually, I started having the same problem with that, too. I found that doing a Clear All under Privacy & Settings in the browser resolved the problem. That got me to thinking that there was some kind of corruption in the browser caching for Bridge Messages on the PB. Unfortunately you can't access browser settings in the Bridge Apps to clear them. I wondered if whatever it was would eventually clear out/expire based on date. I started changing the date on the PB and opening/closing Bridge Messages. I found that if I set the date to August, 1, 2012, Bridge Messages would work normally. If I closed the app, set the date to August 2, and reopened, it wouldn't work. I also found that if I set the date several years into the future, it worked. As long as I kept the app open, even if I set the date back to the correct date, messages would work. However, if I closed and reopned it while at the correct date, it would no longer work. I don't know much about how browsers work so I don't know that my theory is correct. I just know the steps above fixed the problem for me.

I'd be interested in hearing if this works for others having the same problem.
    Last edited by drumrdfox; 08-09-12 at 07:22 AM.
    08-08-12 11:00 PM
    My Bridge messages works without the flashing. If it does flash, I usually disable Bluetooth on PlayBook and Handheld device, and then manually re-initiate a connection. Closing the browser helps here.

I am on latest OS 2.0.1.668.

For those on the desktop or laptop for most of the day, I strongly recommend the Bridge Desktop app, It is faster and much more reliable than Bridge on PlayBook. Wifi and Bluetooth required.
    08-09-12 12:18 AM
    I'll try this later, but it must be another app that is causing the conflict. That must be the source of the issue according to Blackberry Support.
    08-09-12 04:43 AM
    Here is a possible fix for the flashing Bridge Messages/Bridge Locked repeated password prompt problem without wiping.

4. Open Bridge Messages, enter password if needed, and see if Messages works normally.
    5. If Bridge Messages does not work, repeat all the above but with a farther out date.
    6. If Bridge Messages does work, leave Bridge Messages open and go back to Date & Time settings. Set to the correct date.
    8. Tap on Bridge Messages, re-enter Password if needed, and see if Bridge Messages works normally.

I did the above and Bridge Messages is now working for me, all without wiping my Playbook.

Some background on what happened to me: After I received the .688 update and restarted my PB, I used it for a bit and turned it off. When I turned it back on and tried to use Bridge Messages, I received the repeated prompts saying bridge was locked. It didn't matter that I would enter the correct password, I kept getting the same prompt. Disabling the password on the phone didn't matter. I could not access Messages through Bridge. I could access all the other Bridge apps.

I tried everything. Pairing, unpairing, repairing (Ha!), changing the password, uninstalling and reinstalling the bridge on the phone, and deleting recent messages. Nothing worked. I did not want to wipe, been down that path and hate it. I found the solution on the Forums for accessing them by using address http://localhost:187/messages/ in the browser for a bit. I didn't realize that the Bridge sessions were separate instances of the browser. Eventually, I started having the same problem with that, too. I found that doing a Clear All under Privacy & Settings in the browser resolved the problem. That got me to thinking that there was some kind of corruption in the browser caching for Bridge Messages on the PB. Unfortunately you can't access browser settings in the Bridge Apps to clear them. I wondered if whatever it was would eventually clear out/expire based on date. I started changing the date on the PB and opening/closing Bridge Messages. I found that if I set the date to August, 1, 2012, Bridge Messages would work normally. If I closed the app, set the date to August 2, and reopened, it wouldn't work. I also found that if I set the date several years into the future, it worked. As long as I kept the app open, even if I set the date back to the correct date, messages would work. However, if I closed and reopned it while at the correct date, it would no longer work. I don't know much about how browsers work so I don't know that my theory is correct. I just know the steps above fixed the problem for me.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! How on earth did you figure that out? I had to set the date way forward to get it to work. Did I say Thank You?
    08-09-12 05:40 AM
    I had the flashing message screen issue after I updated to .668. It was so frustrating. I deleted my bridge on my 9810 several times. I deleted the pairing several times along with hard reboots of the Playbook. Then I tried changing the date by several years and still had the problem. So I decided to just load the 2.1 beta hoping that would fix the problem, but it did not. So I tried changing the date again by several years forward and backward with no success, but when I changed the date by one year (2011) it WORKED!!!!!!!!

Thank You very much for this fix!

Regards,
    Troy
    08-09-12 07:04 AM
    My Bridge messages works without the flashing. If it does flash, I usually disable Bluetooth on PlayBook and Handheld device, and then manually re-initiate a connection. Closing the browser helps here.

For those on the desktop or laptop for most of the day, I strongly recommend the Bridge Desktop app, It is faster and much more reliable than Bridge on PlayBook. Wifi and Bluetooth required.
    I've had it were it flashed and did not repeatedly ask for a password. I just disconnecting and reconnecting Bridge and that fixed it. This most recent occurrence was different. It knocked out Bridge Messages all together, I could not access Messages no matter what. The Bridge Desktop app does look pretty cool.
    08-09-12 07:15 AM
    Wow, worked like a charm! Tried setting the year to 2020 first, then to 2025 and the bridge unlocked.

This issue has been my biggest annoyance with the PlayBook, as I've had to reload an earlier image prior to the lockup every week or two. I really can't fathom why RIM hasn't fixed this issue as it is pretty widespread and has been around for quite some time.
    08-09-12 09:19 PM

Actually I'm on 2.1.0.560.. lol all the talk about .668 got me thinking the same!
    08-10-12 12:54 AM
    Thanks for this post.

I've had this issue for months, and was really frustrated over it. Now it's fixed.

Thanks again.

How difficult could it be for RIM to fix this minor bugs on the playbook more than a year after they launched the product.
    08-10-12 09:08 PM
    Mine hasn't worked in a while, set it up a year, it worked, put it back on the correct year and it still works. Don't know how to thank you, spent hours on support trying to get it fixed and all they could come up with was to do a complete wipe. Again, THANK YOU.
    08-10-12 09:23 PM
    I don't know if this has already been mentioned in this thread .... but how I get rid of the red email notification issue that still lingers and lingers in the top left corner after I've opened and read the email, is to turn the playbook into portrait mode ..... it disappears straight away.
    08-10-12 09:52 PM
    I don't know if this has already been mentioned in this thread .... but how I get rid of the red email notification issue that still lingers and lingers in the top left corner after I've opened and read the email, is to turn the playbook into portrait mode ..... it disappears straight away.
    Good to know, thanks, though I'm not sure how that relates to the thread.
    08-11-12 09:03 PM

OK you are my all time hero for figuring this out. I've had this problme several times and each time I had to reload the PlayBook operating system to correct it. Yesterday I used your solution and IT WORKED!!!! Thanks a million.
    08-23-12 09:25 AM
    Mods I think this should be a sticky
    kbz1960 and Lyls like this.
    08-23-12 09:31 AM

I did the above and Bridge Messages is now working for me, with the correct date set, even after closing and re-opening Messages, all without wiping my Playbook.

This almost worked for me. Set the date back one year and it worked fine. Diconnected the bridge, reset the date the the correct date and connected bridge again and it stopped working again.

Not sure if I had one of the steps wrong but it was so close to working.

Mike
    08-23-12 09:50 AM
    This almost worked for me. Set the date back one year and it worked fine. Diconnected the bridge, reset the date the the correct date and connected bridge again and it stopped working again.

Not sure if I had one of the steps wrong but it was so close to working.

Mike
    Leave the Messages app open while you are doing this. Try resetting the date on the Playbook to the correct date before you Disconnect from the bridge. Then tap the open app to reconnect to the bridge. That's the only thing from your comment that I saw might have been different than what I did and outlined above.
    08-23-12 11:07 AM
    Leave the Messages app open while you are doing this. Try resetting the date on the Playbook to the correct date before you Disconnect from the bridge. Then tap the open app to reconnect to the bridge. That's the only thing from your comment that I saw might have been different than what I did and outlined above.
    When you say "tap the open app to reconnect to the bridge" do you mean the bridge message? If so clicking the open app doesn't reconnect me to the bridge, it just gives me a box stating the Bridge is disconnected and giving examples of what the problem my be with the bridge.

Also to confirm when you say Disconncelt (not lock) the bridge do you mean from withing the bridge connction on the PlayBook and not simply turning Bluetooth off? I have been disconnecting in the brdige connection.

Mike
    08-23-12 11:17 AM
    When you say "tap the open app to reconnect to the bridge" do you mean the bridge message? If so clicking the open app doesn't reconnect me to the bridge, it just gives me a box stating the Bridge is disconnected and giving examples of what the problem my be with the bridge.

Also to confirm when you say Disconncelt (not lock) the bridge do you mean from withing the bridge connction on the PlayBook and not simply turning Bluetooth off? I have been disconnecting in the brdige connection.

Mike
    By "disconnect from bridge", I mean tapping the little bridge icon at the top of the Playbook home screen (next to the Bluetooth icon) and from the pop-up that appears, tap the "Disconnect" button. Bluetooth is left on the whole time.. The Bridge feature on the phone is left on the whole time. This is all done from the Playbook, nothing is done from the phone.

By "Messages" app, I do mean the "Bridge Messages" app. When I disconnect from the bridge while the Messages app is open, the Messages app screen goes black with only a lock symbol appearing in the middle of it. When I tap on that window, the Messages app window goes full screen, the pop-up dialog appears in the middle prompting for a password and the keyboard pops-up. After entering the password, the Messages app worked normally for me.

If you are getting the troubleshooting message and everything else is on, try tapping on the Messages app window again. I occasionally get this message when trying to re-connect the bridge and usually a suqsequent try gets it to connect.

One other thing, don't know if it matters, I did this all with my Playbook in "Showcase" mode under the Playbook's general settings.

Hope that helps. I wish I had a video of this.
    08-23-12 12:27 PM
    By "disconnect from bridge", I mean tapping the little bridge icon at the top of the Playbook home screen (next to the Bluetooth icon) and from the pop-up that appears, tap the "Disconnect" button. Bluetooth is left on the whole time.. The Bridge feature on the phone is left on the whole time. This is all done from the Playbook, nothing is done from the phone.

By "Messages" app, I do mean the "Bridge Messages" app. When I disconnect from the bridge while the Messages app is open, the Messages app screen goes black with only a lock symbol appearing in the middle of it. When I tap on that window, the Messages app window goes full screen, the pop-up dialog appears in the middle prompting for a password and the keyboard pops-up. After entering the password, the Messages app worked normally for me.

If you are getting the troubleshooting message and everything else is on, try tapping on the Messages app window again. I occasionally get this message when trying to re-connect the bridge and usually a suqsequent try gets it to connect.

One other thing, don't know if it matters, I did this all with my Playbook in "Showcase" mode under the Playbook's general settings.

Hope that helps. I wish I had a video of this.
    Ok I've tried all of this now but it's still not working for me. Once I set the date back to the correct date, tap the bridge message icon and the bridge will only reconnect when I first click connect on my phone, otherwise it just comes up with the problem screen as to why it's disconnected. Once I get the bridge connected again the message window flashes black and white again.

Thanks for all your help, I just wish it had of worked for me.
    08-23-12 12:46 PM
    Ok I've tried all of this now but it's still not working for me. Once I set the date back to the correct date, tap the bridge message icon and the bridge will only reconnect when I first click connect on my phone, otherwise it just comes up with the problem screen as to why it's disconnected. Once I get the bridge connected again the message window flashes black and white again.

Thanks for all your help, I just wish it had of worked for me.
    I have the bridge settings on my phone set to automatically connect when in range. If you have yours set differently, you might want to have it set to automatically connect. Are you leaving the Messages app open through all this? I think that is key to it working.
    08-23-12 12:59 PM
    I have the bridge settings on my phone set to automatically connect when in range. If you have yours set differently, you might want to have it set to automatically connect. Are you leaving the Messages app open through all this? I think that is key to it working.
    Yes I have the bridge set to connect when within range but the same thing is happeneing if it's set to not connect when within range. I also thought it might have been because I was tiling the message window but also tried it just from swiping down from the top right corner. When I set the date back to the correct date and click the message app, the bridge connects then displays a message saying the connection was lost and goes back to the flashing black and white again, even though the bridge connection is still up.

I am running the latest beta OS by the way, not sure if that makes a difference with this or not.

Mike
    08-23-12 01:11 PM
    Im having the same problem, i have tried all the steps and its still not working.
    Will BlackBerry support be able to help? I really dont want to pay for the Incident Support fee of $49. any other suggestions?
    08-24-12 04:33 PM
    Im having the same problem, i have tried all the steps and its still not working.
    Will BlackBerry support be able to help? I really dont want to pay for the Incident Support fee of $49. any other suggestions?
    From the what I have read, support will tell you to wipe it, which will work but is a pain. Did it work at any point in the steps, like when you changed the date? It took me a little time to find a date that would work.
    08-24-12 09:08 PM
    Thank You so much! I stopped using bridge because I have been so frustrated with this issue. I set the date to 2020. It didn't work. I set the date to 1995. It did work. I set the date to 2525. It worked like a charm! In 6 years of being a member of Crackberry, this is my very first post!
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-25-12 01:32 PM
    Thank You so much! I stopped using bridge because I have been so frustrated with this issue. I set the date to 2020. It didn't work. I set the date to 1995. It did work. I set the date to 2525. It worked like a charm! In 6 years of being a member of Crackberry, this is my very first post!
    Now that you've made the start I hope we see some more from you!!
    08-25-12 07:05 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD