If you've been pining for Skype and think that Android users have somehow got it made, think again. Though a Skype app is available on Android devices, it's only a shadow of its full desktop glory.

For example, if you have voicemail configured, the Skype app will notify you when you receive a new message. But when you go to listen to that message you discover that there is no way to do so from within the app. You have to go back to your PC to listen to the message, which is ridiculous especially in today's Post-PC world.

Also, any fantasies you may have had about using your Bluetooth headset with Skype under Android are just that, fantasies. Android still doesn't support a hands-free profile, so your Bluetooth headset or earpiece is essentially useless for VOIP tasks.

Anyway, just a couple of points that I noted while playing with an Android tablet for the past few days. I'm a heavy Skype user under Windows, including Skype-in, Skype-out, voicemail, etc. It's my primary method of voice communication when I'm overseas, and based on my requirements the Android app is entirely inadequate. One more reason to look forward to Surface I guess.

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    07-31-12 10:23 AM
    As a matter of interest how does the ios perform?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-31-12 10:44 AM
    As a matter of interest how does the ios perform?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Fine, although I don't use the voicemail features or try to use Bluetooth with it. I would hope Surface Pro has the same Skype experience as the desktop since it is essentially a desktop on a tablet.
    07-31-12 10:55 AM
    OK, now your just clutching at straws, that's some silly nit picking.

Most people just want to "talk" and "see" friends and family. An android handheld mobile phone can do this, a blackberry tablet (in theory that should be more pumped), cannot.

You can't check voice mails, change passwords or whatever minor, but the bulk of the purpose of Skype can be done just fine.
    07-31-12 11:06 AM
    OK, now your just clutching at straws, that's some silly nit picking.

Most people just want to "talk" and "see" friends and family. An android handheld mobile phone can do this, a blackberry tablet (in theory that should be more pumped), cannot.

You can't check voice mails, change passwords or whatever minor, but the bulk of the purpose of Skype can be done just fine.
    It's not silly if you PAID for these features with the expectation that you would be able to access them on any "supported" platform. The Skype team's unwillingness to fully implement their client on Android speaks volumes about their opinion of the OS and its users.

RCK

BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    07-31-12 12:41 PM
    Actually Skype sucks for me even on my laptop. I can't have a video call with my grandkids without having to hang up and recall repeatedly because the sound goes kaput. I know some people love it & I'm happy for them. I don't know if it's just where I live (middle GA), but Skype is a huge frustration for me & don't care if it ever comes to the Playbook.
    07-31-12 01:55 PM
    It's not silly if you PAID for these features with the expectation that you would be able to access them on any "supported" platform. The Skype team's unwillingness to fully implement their client on Android speaks volumes about their opinion of the OS and its users.

RCK

Ofcourse it's silly, and even more so to assume or have any expectations for a desktop app thats on mobile.

No doubt if you were to PAY for this feature, lets say VOICEMAIL, you did it on a desktop, paid for it via a desktop, after possibly seeing the option to have this as a feature on the desktop app, and now you assume you should have the full skype app on your mobile.

I should be so silly to assume that YOU expect to be able to SHARE your mobile screen via Skype with other users, considering thats also a feature of the desktop app not available within the Android mobile "supported platform" LOL
    07-31-12 03:37 PM
    Oh look.. yet another Skype thread. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Android client.
    07-31-12 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD