With all this 'Playbook Dead' I think it's time to review the situation...

You can still read books, watch movies, play music and browse the internet and check e-mails all very nicely. These media are infinite so unless they all suddenly dissapear from the world the playbook is NOT dead. It is not like owning a 'dreamcast console' where when they stopped making games the product died.

The OS is great as it is. All I'd ask for is...

1.Playbook timeshift camera option
    2. Make easier access to android apps

I personally have no major interest in games or apps anyway so not getting BB10 has no impact in real terms but linking more to android would help those that desire that.
    07-09-13 05:51 AM

You can still read books, watch movies, play music and browse the internet and check e-mails all very nicely. These media are infinite so unless they all suddenly dissapear from the world the playbook is NOT dead. It is not like owning a 'dreamcast console' where when they stopped making games the product died.

I personally have no major interest in games or apps anyway so not getting BB10 has no impact in real terms but linking more to android would help those that desire that.
    actually its pretty much the same. The devs arent going to maintain or bring new games/apps to the playbook the same as when they stopped making games for the dreamcast.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-09-13 05:56 AM
    Did you not read what I wrote? The dreamcast could only play games, nothing else. The Playbook does much much more then that so it is NOT the same. Movies , Books and Internet are Infinite while the dream cast has 720 games and thats it full stop. Also there is the possibility to sideload from android so even that is not dead if all Devs pull the plug.
    07-09-13 06:03 AM
    Did you not read what I wrote? The dreamcast could only play games, nothing else. The Playbook does much much more then that so it is NOT the same. Movies , Books and Internet are Infinite while the dream cast has 720 games and thats it full stop. Also there is the possibility to sideload from android so even that is not dead if all Devs pull the plug.
    my reply was deleted. but here is what. we are working on removing QNX. so please be patient. i hope this post is not deleted too. all these abandonwares are developers prized possession and they work on it w/o fear! hope this helps!
    thanks!
    -paul
    p.s. going back to my pvm and work. 10 pm india time i will log in again. later!
    07-09-13 06:07 AM
    Hi, Not a Tablet tecchie so can you explain that? Do you mean there will be an OS in the future that will run like the Playbook but more open to people to create apps etc without approval from BB?
    07-09-13 06:15 AM
    @Bassmann42 - Maybe not dead to you but you have a limited requirement, others don't. Which leaves your subject title very misleading.
    07-09-13 06:19 AM
    Dead is dead i.e nothing new. If you cant get new apps from the Playbook in the future I would say it's less functional, but 'dead' is an overstatement considering you can forever add new music, books and video along with the never ending new content on the internet.
    07-09-13 06:29 AM
    The truth about all the people claiming they "bought a bike just for looking at it and are completely happy"...
    they're idiots and thanks for letting us know that...yes, and of course you're allowed to have an opinion as well, but why are you trying hard to undermine our rightful claims towards BBRY with your silly posting of new threads each day?
    victorshikhman likes this.
    07-09-13 08:21 AM
    I'd say the truth is it needs a lot more than that OP
    07-09-13 08:32 AM
    I agree with OP. I still use mine daily to browse the web and read ebooks, which was the main reason I purchased it in the first place. That's not going to change.The few games I play on it, I will still be able to play so no problems.
    Lets be honest here, in 3 or 4 years we will all be sporting a new "whatever" tablet. The PB will be functional for at least that long.

P.S. I also use it for playing and streaming music and that won't change. I have a second gen iTouch that I still use to play games and listen to music etc. its' still going.
    Last edited by cman5; 07-09-13 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added comment
    Hirazi Blue and CygnusX-1 like this.
    07-09-13 08:39 AM
    Obviously, "DEAD" is an overstatement for dramatic impact. But bbry killed the hope that they fostered for more than a year. Folks were watching the new apps show up for the bb10 phones and fully expected to be able to run those apps on an improved pb. Some folks actually purchased their pb's based on the firm knowledge that a "truthful" ceo has promised "all pb's will get bb10!" Those hopes are certainly DEAD. Of course my pb and your pb and lots of other pb's did not actually die two weeks ago.

But disappointed folks lash out and some of them have every right to be very angry.

I was lucky enough to have two pb's. I was not sure what bb10 would bring to the pb so was planning on only updating the second one till I could get a feel for what worked and what might be bad news. That choice and excitement of NEW & IMPROVED was dashed. I have no choice. I will never see Cascades on my pb. My Browser is still stuck in the dark ages with less features than my 5 year old 8830 had back then. My Docs-to-go and my pdf reader are light years behind what my OS4, OS5, OS6 and OS7 bbphones had!

Not dead but permanently maimed - okay, better?
    Stephen_TX, cman5, jyan and 4 others like this.
    07-09-13 08:53 AM
    Obviously, "DEAD" is an overstatement for dramatic impact. But bbry killed the hope that they fostered for more than a year. Folks were watching the new apps show up for the bb10 phones and fully expected to be able to run those apps on an improved pb. Some folks actually purchased their pb's based on the firm knowledge that a "truthful" ceo has promised "all pb's will get bb10!" Those hopes are certainly DEAD. Of course my pb and your pb and lots of other pb's did not actually die two weeks ago.

But disappointed folks lash out and some of them have every right to be very angry.

I was lucky enough to have two pb's. I was not sure what bb10 would bring to the pb so was planning on only updating the second one till I could get a feel for what worked and what might be bad news. That choice and excitement of NEW & IMPROVED was dashed. I have no choice. I will never see Cascades on my pb. My Browser is still stuck in the dark ages with less features than my 5 year old 8830 had back then. My Docs-to-go and my pdf reader are light years behind what my OS4, OS5, OS6 and OS7 bbphones had!

Not dead but permanently maimed - okay, better?
    I agree that it's still useful, and still has capabilities that exceed iPad's etc. such as the HDMI port. But they will catch-up. And while there are workarounds for non-existent apps I'd like to have, they are increasingly difficult because of the browser. Two examples - MLB At Bat 13 works for audio if you use MLB's alternate web page. It works for video if you use a different browser (Simple Browser) and know how to change its settings. HBO Go works at times, but it stops frequently, and I haven't found a better browser for that. Showtime Anytime doesn't work at all in the browser. Certain sideloaded Android apps work very well until the originator updates it, but then we need someone (like GoodeReader) to re-convert it. All of these things are seamless on an iPad (and I assume Androids, and maybe Windows).

My hope was that BB10 would create a 3rd platform where these kinds of things would work, and then they'd also work on the PB. That hope is now gone, and the workarounds are increasingly tiresome. I'll continue to use my PB for email, calendar, contacts, some web use etc. It's still a nice piece of hardware. But I'll eventually trade-out my 9900. Given the decision not to upgrade the PB (which may have technically been the right decision but BBRY chose not to give much info on what happened), or replace it with a PB 10 tablet, there won't be a compelling reason for me to move to a BB10 phone, aside from a physical keyboard, which ironically, given my experience with the PB, I just may not need.
    07-09-13 10:25 AM
    It's complicated...

If we had a perfectly working system, updated apps and services before the "no BB10 for you" announcement, we'd be fine.

But the Tablet OS had bugs. A score of them. The lack of updates just allows for new bugs (services update themselves, no updates mean that the OS will not be able to connect to the updated servers).

I am hoping for a maintenance release. But right now, situation is grim. I use my PlayBook daily and I am hitting that point where I am warry of a wipe but gotta handle few - but annoying - issues.
    07-09-13 10:57 AM
    Now one might think that a CEO keeping the BB10 on PB alive message going for a year might of been to 'sell off' any remaining PB stock at a higher premium than what happened with the HP TouchPad was a plot to minimize lost assets for wall street. Then when it was obvious to the consumer that the PB should of been upgraded by now, and questions peaked, had no option but to tell the truth that it wasn't comming to PB...

Bottom line a great Tom Sawyer move and I fell for it too as I initially bought the 16gb model and when I heard it was coming to PB, bought two 64GB models knowing BB10 would probably work better with maximum memory, given they amounced they were dropping the 16GB models with the LTE version...

Yes I was duped too! But I still use them today for quick video recording of my grandson, snap shots, PLEX as it has the PB has great frontal sound, an MCE remote scheduler, checkng email, web browsing, YouTube, and weather alerts. Could I have done the same with a lower cost tablet? Yes! Would it of provided the same quality look and feel? Probably not! Am I unhappy? Yes and No! Been a RIM user for many years, but this was most likely the straw that broke my loyalty to buy again, although I'll continue to find more ways to get more out of the PB's I have as I still enjoy the way the PB feels, plays video, and sounds. Just wish I would now of waited for the fire sale so I wouldn't of wasted so much money on two 64gb platforms when the 16gb would of been enough!!
    07-09-13 11:32 AM
    Great I paid $699 for a 64 GB Kindle Fire HD without the app capability or the Kindle capability!
    howarmat likes this.
    07-09-13 12:42 PM
    Did you not read what I wrote? The dreamcast could only play games, nothing else.
    It was designed as a console first and foremost but also had accessories like keyboard, mouse, VGA adaptor and modem. And there were definitely homebrew apps that did more than this. I used to surf the web on mine too.

Dreamcast Scene
    07-09-13 01:08 PM
    I agree with OP. I still use mine daily to browse the web and read ebooks, which was the main reason I purchased it in the first place. That's not going to change.The few games I play on it, I will still be able to play so no problems.
    Lets be honest here, in 3 or 4 years we will all be sporting a new "whatever" tablet. The PB will be functional for at least that long.

P.S. I also use it for playing and streaming music and that won't change. I have a second gen iTouch that I still use to play games and listen to music etc. its' still going.
    functional yes cutting edge no.
    07-09-13 02:09 PM
    With a bridge that barely functions with my Z10 the PB is dead to me.
    anon(1852343), Carl Estes and FF22 like this.
    07-09-13 02:15 PM

Not infinite, and continually evolving. Eventually you will get web pages you cannot browse, media that will not stream, services that will not connect. Linkedin is one new instance that stopped connecting. If we don't get a maintenance update soon, the playbook will not be a viable tablet. That's as near dead as it need be because I'll put it out of its misery.
    Chrysalis1156 and FF22 like this.
    07-09-13 02:18 PM
    Not infinite, and continually evolving. Eventually you will get web pages you cannot browse, media that will not stream, services that will not connect. Linkedin is one new instance that stopped connecting. If we don't get a maintenance update soon, the playbook will not be a viable tablet. That's as near dead as it need be because I'll put it out of its misery.
    So the other features of your Playbook ceased to function? It won't take pictures? Voice Notes refuse to record? Music Player won't play music files? Contacts no longer present? missed appointments because the calendar stop working as intended? Messages no longer retrieving email? Kindle App stop displaying books? There are plenty of features related to personal data management that will continue to function for the foreseeable future. yes, you may put your Playbook "out of its misery", but that does not diminish its continued usefulness to a less cynical person.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-09-13 02:48 PM
    With a bridge that barely functions with my Z10 the PB is dead to me.
    That why I waited to go for my Z10. Bridge is hobbled. Right now, my Torch 9850 and PB running 2.whatever is as good as it is going to get.

IF they fix Bridge to full functionalty (PB and a Z10), then I will think about going out and upgrading my phone. Note I said "think" about it........

C
    FF22 likes this.
    07-09-13 02:50 PM
    Without an OS update (3.0?) and BBM, Traffic, Travel and Protect for instance, this is now an e-Reader and music player.
    07-09-13 02:55 PM
    Without an OS update (3.0?) and BBM, Traffic, Travel and Protect for instance, this is now an e-Reader and music player.
    And more than likely, just sit on the coffee table/couch and end up being used as a diversion during commercials. Which means no more outside world exposure.

They really need/have to throw us a bone and just fix the existing issues and be done with it.Return Bridge to its former glory.
    Alot of people are "done with it" once their OS7 phone/Playbook fails, then it's off to Planet Android........

C
    FF22 likes this.
    07-09-13 03:03 PM
    For me now, its just a peice of internet browser. And that too if too difficult with all the problems I have with wifi. As of now, I can only surf the internet through BB Bridge, and so I cannot download any apps either. I probably plan to use it only as a Digital Photo frame for future. Thats all it is now worth for. No navigation/No wifi/No Apps, its a waste as of now.
    And of course, my next handset- Galaxy Note2. Bye bye BB.
    Last edited by ragz_mln; 07-09-13 at 03:25 PM.
    07-09-13 03:05 PM
    Thank you Kevin. That is exactly my point. I didn't buy the playbook to wait for a future update, I wanted to use the same functions you listed and that has not changed and I know it will do what I want BB10 update or not. This reminds me of a concert I went to where two girls behind me talked through the whole gig and said how much they loved the artist on stage without listening to a note they sang. They wanted to say they were there and take pics for facebook but didnt appreciate the moment as it happened. The playbook is still the best 7" tablet for the money and features and I appreciate what it can do for me now not in the future. I expect BB will at least support the old OS going forward at least and to be honest I can't see how BB10 could have improved the playbook user experience except for stuff like the camera timeshift and a few other apps.
    07-09-13 05:00 PM
29 12